Forums > General Industry > Mentors Wanted

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

I have posted a few threads here on MM and I try to say in all of them how new I am.  I think we can all agree that I'm new.  So. . .with that said:

I really need some advice.  I'm just starting out.  Trying to build my port.  Want to primarily do TFP, etc., etc.  So what else happens?  What should I be looking out for? 

Experienced models:
What should I beware of? 
What can I expect as I try to ride on your coattails?

Let me hear it y'all!  big_smile  I jus love feedback!!

Feb 22 06 09:21 pm Link

Model

Ms Kaylee

Helena, Montana, US

Jayne Jones wrote:
I have posted a few threads here on MM and I try to say in all of them how new I am.  I think we can all agree that I'm new.  So. . .with that said:

I really need some advice.  I'm just starting out.  Trying to build my port.  Want to primarily do TFP, etc., etc.  So what else happens?  What should I be looking out for? 

Experienced models:
What should I beware of? 
What can I expect as I try to ride on your coattails?

Let me hear it y'all!  big_smile  I jus love feedback!!

Well, I'm nowhere close to be experienced but I won't mind giving you feedback. If there's ever a door of opportunity open, don't close it. If a photographer contacts you for a TFP/CD, take a look at the profile (make sure they're not GWCs) and take the offer. It's the best way to get free pictures. And beware of people who claim to be agencies. There are a lot of those. In my short time modeling, I've encountered quite a few.

Feb 22 06 09:36 pm Link

Model

Kita St Cyr

New York, New York, US

Take initiative. Contact everybody near you whose work you like and express interest in working with them.

And be prepared to be ignored. I've contacted a certain photographer about 3 times with tons of compliments on his port and stating how I'd love to work with him, I've yet to have a response. And he's active.

Sometimes, you gotta give things time. Other times, you gotta move on. But the more pro shots you have on your page, the more reputable photogs will want to shoot with you.

And just keep being you cuz ur super cool and you respect Ninu the imaginary tea cup maltese. big_smile

EDIT: Almost forgot, check references. Even if it just means following the links to the models page and seeing if she's still in contact with the photog or if she's worked with him more than once. There is the occasional picture stealing psycho.

Feb 22 06 09:42 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

Kitapanda wrote:
And just keep being you cuz ur super cool and you respect Ninu the imaginary tea cup maltese. big_smile

You mean he's not real???  No way!  He's so good at it though.

Feb 22 06 09:43 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

I'm jotting all of this down.  Seriously!  Keep it coming!

Feb 22 06 09:44 pm Link

Model

Kita St Cyr

New York, New York, US

Jayne Jones wrote:

You mean he's not real???  No way!  He's so good at it though.

I know I was shocked when I found out too. Those tiny bites sure feel real.

Feb 22 06 09:44 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

1.  Get a gun. Something big. 

2.  Load it.

3.  Keep it handy.

4.  If some guy asks if he can "manage" you, pull out the gun and blow his ass away.

5.  Reload.

6.  Goto step 3.

[EDIT]  Oops, sorry.  I'm not a model.  *face turns red*

Feb 22 06 09:55 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

Dave Krueger wrote:
1.  Get a gun. Something big. 

2.  Load it.

3.  Keep it handy.

4.  If some guy asks if he can "manage" you, pull out the gun and blow his ass away.

5.  Reload.

6.  Goto step 3.

Gotcha.  No shoots with Dave.

Just kiddin.

Feb 22 06 09:56 pm Link

Photographer

J Merrill Images

Harvey, Illinois, US

I have been reading some of your posts. You are funny and quick witted and that is usually indicative of a person who is also quite intelligent. I think you will do just fine on your own.

PS: I just mapquested you .... 9 hours 59 minutes to Shreveport, LA. C'mon down! Have camera, will shoot!

Feb 22 06 10:25 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

J Merrill Images wrote:
I have been reading some of your posts. You are funny and quick witted and that is usually indicative of a person who is also quite intelligent. I think you will do just fine on your own.

PS: I just mapquested you .... 9 hours 59 minutes to Shreveport, LA. C'mon down! Have camera, will shoot!

Thanks!  I appreciate the positive feedback.  Not that I don't like the negative. . .everyone has room for growth.

My sister is going to school in Baton Rouge. . .how far are you from there?

Feb 22 06 10:35 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

I do not have much experience yet, having done only about 10 or so TFP shoots.  My advice is to get out there and work with anybody with a camera so that you can get used to the idea of posing and creating a look.  Many GWC are actually OK folks to practice with.  You will of course learn far more working with pros, but I don't think the practice hurts.  Find magazine ads with looks you can emulate. You have a very beautiful smile and warm face.  Find the kinds of businesses that need your look.  But I have Be sure to read the info at NewModels.com   Stay away from modeling schools no matter what they tell you - they are just after your money.  On the other hand, you might consider some acting classes. - Shop around, you can usually find acting workshops for cheap. - Again, don't pay the exorbitant prices that modeling/acting schools charge. Attend local photog gatherings and network with MUAs and Stylists.  A good MUA is indispensable - They can make good shoots into great shoots. (You can probably tell that I just got done working with one on a shoot tonight and the images turned out incredible - my first Goth shoot!)  You need a great portfolio with lots of different looks. If you have the extra cash, I think it is much faster to hire your own photographer (or two) to help you create a portfolio. Have patience and be persistent in learning everything you can about the industry and the businesses that ultimately pay for modeling/acting.  You can do TFP, but it takes longer. Above all, have fun!

Feb 22 06 10:45 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Jay Dezelic wrote:
I do not have much experience yet, having done only about 10 or so TFP shoots.  My advice is to get out there and work with anybody with a camera so that you can get used to the idea of posing and creating a look.  Many GWC are actually OK folks to practice with.  You will of course learn far more working with pros, but I don't think the practice hurts.  Find magazine ads with looks you can emulate. You have a very beautiful smile and warm face.  Find the kinds of businesses that need your look.  But I have Be sure to read the info at NewModels.com   Stay away from modeling schools no matter what they tell you - they are just after your money.  On the other hand, you might consider some acting classes. - Shop around, you can usually find acting workshops for cheap. - Again, don't pay the exorbitant prices that modeling/acting schools charge. Attend local photog gatherings and network with MUAs and Stylists.  A good MUA is indispensable - They can make good shoots into great shoots. (You can probably tell that I just got done working with one on a shoot tonight and the images turned out incredible - my first Goth shoot!)  You need a great portfolio with lots of different looks. If you have the extra cash, I think it is much faster to hire your own photographer (or two) to help you create a portfolio. Have patience and be persistent in learning everything you can about the industry and the businesses that ultimately pay for modeling/acting.  You can do TFP, but it takes longer. Above all, have fun!

Solid advice here. Well said.

Feb 22 06 10:48 pm Link

Photographer

Elite Imaging

Oak Ridge, Florida, US

Jay Dezelic wrote:

Pretty well said Jay.

This is a guy who pays his way with more than cash, he has intellegence!

Feb 23 06 12:30 am Link

Photographer

Elite Imaging

Oak Ridge, Florida, US

"These comments are direct at the first few posts"

Some of you wannabe models really give me a laugh.

It's all about running from the GWC's and as the one poster put it, It's a great way to get free pics.

The other poster spoke of "Be prepared to be ignored?????
Well I wonder why.

You want to talk about GWC's?? Lets talk about wannabe freeloading so-called models.

You friends list collectors think you can come in and stroke a photographers ego and he'll jump through his ass to shoot with you.

And whats worse is some of you inconsiderate selfish losers don't even go that far, you pop out friends requests from the four corners of the globe without so much as a "Hi how ya doing" and the next thing out of your keyboard is will you shoot me for free.

And the ones that pull that shit are usually the ones that don't show for the shoot and don't call.
All Talk No Action. You like the chase and the attention and thats all you got.

Don't use this industry and it's professionals as your self esteem nipple.

Yes there is two sides to every story and yes there are exceptions to the rule, but my comments don't apply to the exceptions, and anybody who is offended by the comments is probably the very ones that I am referring to.

No I'm not bitter, as some like to sling that word around when someone has a gripe,
but I'm sick of these types dragging down everybody else that takes thier craft seriously. (Models as well as photogs MUA's etc.)

There are alot of people that feel the same way I do, I just choose to voice my opinion about it.

Some think if they voice thier opinion too boldly it will affect thier popularity or no models will work with them?

Who cares, those are the people you don't want to work with anyway.

Feb 23 06 12:34 am Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

Be prompt and reliable.  Getting your foot in the door with a great amateur and find a good chemistry - and you can have a multiple shoot project that can give you several differnt projects and looks.

This can be especially true once the photographer knows that you can be counted on.  (I'm working with some models for the 3rd, 4th or 5th time in some cases - because I like them and I KNOW they will show up)

Make every effort to work with people you feel comfortable and safe with.  If you are unsure and nervous about the situation or the person - it would likely show in the pics and be a waste of time for everyone.

Learn about makeup and hair.  If nobody else - you can get yourself worked up.  A good makeup and hair workup is invaluable.  (I have seen models that almost seem to GROW an inch or so when they see themselves in the mirror and their confidence just jumps)  An example is in my port of the "Tough Girl/Good Girl"  One is full makeup and the other is minimal makup and straight hair - and lighting designed to flatten her features.  Same model - same day - two VERY different looks.

Just a few hard learned lessons - VintageV

Feb 23 06 12:45 am Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

Elite Imaging wrote:
There are alot of people that feel the same way I do, I just choose to voice my opinion about it.

Some think if they voice thier opinion too boldly it will affect thier popularity or no models will work with them?

Who cares, those are the people you don't want to work with anyway.

Everyone has a voice.  Everyone has feedback and input.  I value all of it.  But I'm no asskisser.  I have an opinion too, and I refuse to allow anyone, ANYONE to silence me or tell me to keep my opinion to myself because I am new.

I'm 28 years old.  Half the models on here are younger than me.  So. . .I rarely listen to kids.  However, I do respect the fact that half these "kids" as I call them have a leg up on me in this biz.  That deserves respect. . .so I give it.  The "person". . .eh. . .perhaps.  Haters/biters don't bother me.  They motivate me.

So. . .long story/rant short. . .I agree with you.

Feb 23 06 04:20 am Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

Vintagevista wrote:
Be prompt and reliable.  Getting your foot in the door with a great amateur and find a good chemistry - and you can have a multiple shoot project that can give you several differnt projects and looks.

This can be especially true once the photographer knows that you can be counted on.  (I'm working with some models for the 3rd, 4th or 5th time in some cases - because I like them and I KNOW they will show up)

Make every effort to work with people you feel comfortable and safe with.  If you are unsure and nervous about the situation or the person - it would likely show in the pics and be a waste of time for everyone.

Learn about makeup and hair.  If nobody else - you can get yourself worked up.  A good makeup and hair workup is invaluable.  (I have seen models that almost seem to GROW an inch or so when they see themselves in the mirror and their confidence just jumps)  An example is in my port of the "Tough Girl/Good Girl"  One is full makeup and the other is minimal makup and straight hair - and lighting designed to flatten her features.  Same model - same day - two VERY different looks.

Just a few hard learned lessons - VintageV

I really appreciate you for telling met that.  That's invaluable advice.

Feb 23 06 04:21 am Link

Photographer

Elite Imaging

Oak Ridge, Florida, US

Jayne Jones wrote:
Everyone has a voice.  Everyone has feedback and input.  I value all of it.  But I'm no asskisser.  I have an opinion too, and I refuse to allow anyone, ANYONE to silence me or tell me to keep my opinion to myself because I am new.

I'm 28 years old.  Half the models on here are younger than me.  So. . .I rarely listen to kids.  However, I do respect the fact that half these "kids" as I call them have a leg up on me in this biz.  That deserves respect. . .so I give it.  The "person". . .eh. . .perhaps.  Haters/biters don't bother me.  They motivate me.

So. . .long story/rant short. . .I agree with you.

I hope you realize that none of that was directed at you?

It was more of an enlightenment to the advisors.

And it was meant as a little heads up as to how photographers tick and the respectful approach required when anyone seeks help for free.

I have seen where a so called model will be the first one to squawk in a debate about what a photogs time is worth and what thier time is worth.

IMO if a model has little or no experience and a photog is established and willing to help them out for free then the aspiring models time has no value if she made the initial contact.

If the photog contacted the aspiring model then time is an equal commodity.

To me, there is nothing more distatefull than hearing a model advise another aspiring model to go trolling for photographers & TFP's because it's a great was to get free pics.

Thats just being a user, and I don't want statements like that to ruin my good nature to want to help beginners.

Feb 23 06 01:02 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

Elite Imaging wrote:
To me, there is nothing more distatefull than hearing a model advise another aspiring model to go trolling for photographers & TFP's because it's a great was to get free pics.

Thats just being a user, and I don't want statements like that to ruin my good nature to want to help beginners.

And this is why we all adore you!!!

Feb 23 06 01:51 pm Link