Forums > General Industry > In New...Do I Book A Pro?

Model

-Katrina-

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Im new to this, in fact I havnt had my first photo shoot yet...its scheduled, but it hasnt happened. I recently got 2 wall tags...

"Nice start, you may have what it takes.
Don't be afraid to book a pro photographer

it will make a big difference"
From Richard Cole-Photographer

AND
"5'10''....!!! Book a pro photographer, and watch the difference...good luck!!" -Ciara Williams-model

Do I indeed need to book a pro? Or maybe not so much need, but is it advised. Pro v. TFP?

If I should book a pro...what type of prices should I be paying?

Feb 22 06 03:59 pm Link

Photographer

Dreams To Keep

Novi, Michigan, US

If not a pro, then at least one contact one of the semi-pros or talented shooters.  Cost varies greatly.  Take your time, send out polite requests for quotes from shooters near you and see who answers and at what prices. 

That will give you a better $ number for your area which may not be the national average certainly and not the New York averages.

Feb 22 06 04:05 pm Link

Model

-Katrina-

may i also briefly mention how angry I am at my simple mispelling the threads title...
i guess temple u. isnt doin me much good. lol.

Feb 22 06 04:07 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

Yes book a pro look at photograhers work you like and hire one of them.
That is the best way to get started in my opinion.
and then go looking for agencies in your area who may be able to use your look.

Feb 22 06 04:39 pm Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Boca del Mar, Florida, US

I guess the only reason I would say to not book (pay for) a professional photographer just at this point is because you are so new.  Play around a little and do some TFPs until you feel as though you are comfortable with yourself and with the camera

Now I look back on my older pictures (when I was starting out) and I have realized how much I have learned about what it takes to make portfolio worthy, as well as monetary investment-worthy, images

So I think, IMO, that you should get a little more experience before you invest.  That's just my $2.00 (yes I meant $2.00 cause my opinion is worth 100 times anyone elses lol....*JOKING...kinda wink *)

Feb 22 06 04:46 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

CrazyIsabelAurora wrote:
I guess the only reason I would say to not book (pay for) a professional photographer just at this point is because you are so new.  Play around a little and do some TFPs until you feel as though you are comfortable with yourself and with the camera

Now I look back on my older pictures (when I was starting out) and I have realized how much I have learned about what it takes to make portfolio worthy, as well as monetary investment-worthy, images

So I think, IMO, that you should get a little more experience before you invest.  That's just my $2.00 (yes I meant $2.00 cause my opinion is worth 100 times anyone elses lol....*JOKING...kinda wink *)

All hail the Queen!!!

::laughs and runs away::

I'm with the Queen on this on.
Get more experience and learn to change your facial expressions, they are your tools.

Feb 22 06 04:52 pm Link

Model

-Katrina-

good point isabel (no suprise there) and I still dont get how sometimes Im supposed to pay the photographer, and sometimes they're supposed to pay the model, and sometimes, nobody pays for anything

its all very confusing, im sure I'll figure it out, but i hate feeling things out, and im awfully impatient aswell

*sighs*
^why does she sigh you may ask?^

cause its the following action of a breath in

aight, im gonna end here because im gettin carried away

Feb 22 06 04:55 pm Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Craig Thomson wrote:

All hail the Queen!!!

::laughs and runs away::

I'm with the Queen on this on.
Get more experience and learn to change your facial expressions, they are your tools.

haha tha'ts funny you ran away! I can picture it in my head too! Is that weird that I can do that???

Feb 22 06 04:59 pm Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

-Katrina- wrote:
good point isabel (no suprise there) and I still dont get how sometimes Im supposed to pay the photographer, and sometimes they're supposed to pay the model, and sometimes, nobody pays for anything

its all very confusing, im sure I'll figure it out, but i hate feeling things out, and im awfully impatient aswell

Yes it is just something that you will, unfortunately, have to feel a lot of it out on your own.  It takes time, work, dedication, and....um...time lol to be able to learn the ins and outs sad

But, as you already know smile , let me know if you need anything!!!

Feb 22 06 05:00 pm Link

Model

-Katrina-

picture someone running way?

no i dont think that qualifies as a creative stretch...

Feb 22 06 05:01 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

-Katrina- wrote:
Do I indeed need to book a pro? Or maybe not so much need, but is it advised. Pro v. TFP?

If I should book a pro...what type of prices should I be paying?

Gotta tell ya Kat. . .I'm glad you asked this question.  I was curious about it myself.

Feb 22 06 05:17 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

CrazyIsabelAurora wrote:

haha tha'ts funny you ran away! I can picture it in my head too! Is that weird that I can do that???

Sleep and food deprivation has that effect on some….

Feb 22 06 05:21 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

CrazyIsabelAurora wrote:
I guess the only reason I would say to not book (pay for) a professional photographer just at this point is because you are so new.  Play around a little and do some TFPs until you feel as though you are comfortable with yourself and with the camera. . .So I think, IMO, that you should get a little more experience before you invest.  That's just my $2.00 (yes I meant $2.00 cause my opinion is worth 100 times anyone elses lol....*JOKING...kinda wink *)

I love Isa. . .she's my Idol!

But I paid (discounted, but paid nenetheless) for headshots (which will be uploaded as soon as I get those puppies).  I chose to because 1-I wanted an experienced photog b/c I'm not an experienced model and 2-photogs need to be paid in my opinion.  He had expenses that went into those photos after all.

I don't think I wasted my money nor do I regret paying for his work.  He was able to negotiate with me and knew that I was starting out and couldn't really afford a "whole lot".  I don't think headshots are all that complicated though.  Nonetheless. . .I digress. . .I paid.

Feb 22 06 05:43 pm Link

Model

-Katrina-

Im glad to hear your experience went well

Feb 22 06 06:07 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

-Katrina- wrote:

I think it depends on what kind of modeling you want to do.  If you're interested in glamour, fetish, softcore, pin-up, etc. (what I refer to as internet modeling), then I would not spend money on a pro.  I would shoot TFPs with the best shooters you can find who will do TFPs.  There are tons of people here at MM to network with and learn from.

If you're interested in traditional mainstream agency modeling (fashion, commercial, etc), I would seek  advice from someone who knows that industry well for an assessment of how to proceed based on your stats and look.  Let me assure you, I am not that person, but it seems like it wouldn't hurt to look up the agencies local to your area and see what they say.   I don't think you even need pictures to walk through the door of an agency or go to an open call.  There are also books you can get which could help and it probably wouldn't hurt to have a look at http://www.newmodels.com/

I also agree with CrazyIA that it wouldn't hurt to just do some practice work with some respectable non-pro shooters to learn to relax, pose, and animate so you'll be better able to take advantage of it when you do work with a pro.

Just my 2 cents (and it's probably not even worth that much).

-Dave

Feb 22 06 06:24 pm Link

Photographer

JBPhoto

Belleville, Michigan, US

If you don't have any good TFP photogs in your area it certainly won't hurt...you'll get a useable portfolio built that much faster.

Feb 23 06 07:32 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

I may be biased because I am a pro in your area...  but...  Yes, book a pro.

Isabelle and I will disagree on this one...and I don't like to disagree with her, but this time I will.  Booking time for TFP is going to do you very little good in this market (Philadelphia) if you're serious about your career as a professional model.  I will say however Dave has brought up a very very valid point.  If all you want to do is internet modeling (not get signed with an agent) then you should book all the TFP you can get your hands on.  In general with shoots however you get what you pay for.  You're probably not going to get great results unless you pay, and you will on average get poorer results by paying less.

Rates here in Philadelphia are about $100 cheaper than what the New York market rates are.

I personally do test shoots for new models starting at $400

If you have other questions about your look or getting in to agencies here in Philadelphia feel free to ask.  Not only me, but other area shooters and models.  I think you'll find that MM is full of people willing to help.

Feb 23 06 07:48 am Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

James Jackson wrote:
In general with shoots however you get what you pay for.  You're probably not going to get great results unless you pay, and you will on average get poorer results by paying less.

Oh...my...gah! I can NOT believe you disagreed with me lol ***joking***

I guess the reason I say that she should "practice" with tfp first is because she is so new and doesn't really know what she wants yet. i dunno but i'm in a rush now to go to school so i can't really elaborate

i would also just like to point out that every one of my shoots (all of the shots you have ever seen me put up) have been through tfcd.  now I'm NOT saying that photographers should not be paid!!!!!!!!! trust me, if i had the money, there would definitely be some photographers that i would be happy to pay! but i give them the images they want and they give me the ones i want.

but what i am saying is that if you are truly dedicated and this is what you want to do, you will learn and become seasoned as to what looks good and what makes a good image, professional photographer or not. i started out working with not-so-professional photographers. i'm glad i did, because each time i got my pictures back, i realized what i needed to do for next time. that way, when you do decide to pay for pictures, they will be the best they can be! (did that sound cheesy? haha)

Feb 23 06 07:53 am Link

Photographer

00siris

New York, New York, US

Katrina -

Don't be confused. In the world of photography - PRO - simply means that the photography is making his/her living off the work.

It has less to do with the quality of the work. There are some really outstanding photogs here who do it as a pst time.

So make your deciscions based on quality and reputation

Feb 23 06 07:57 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

CrazyIsabelAurora wrote:
i would also just like to point out that every one of my shoots (all of the shots you have ever seen me put up) have been through tfcd.

Like I said...in general your results will be poorer...that's not to say a TFP/CD photographer can't produce good images, just to say that you would get better results with a paid photographer...even from the very beginning.  I do understand what you're saying though...you're saying use TFP as a practice for the real thing.

Ok, two things:

- In smaller markets it will be easier to find higher caliber photographers willing to do TFP.  It is cheaper for photographers in smaller markets to work, and there is also a much reduced demand for photographers in those markets.  In larger markets (yes even here in Philadelphia all you New Yorkers...) Photography is in more demand and costs of living and operating are higher.  I can't just build my studio out back of my house in a nice building that I'll only have to pay for once (don't laugh...a photographer from MM is doing this, and I've seen other photographers do it as well).  I have to pay more at the store for Foamcore, pay more for gas, pay more for everything...PLUS I'm in demand here...you know how it is...supply vs demand...blah

- I understand where you're coming from with saying "Use TFP as your practice time" but I do not believe that is fair to photographers in a large market.  I have done the math...before I even pay for anything like lunch or travel time for a model, every studio modeling shoot costs me at least $250 in cost.  You as a model get to practice for free, but the photographer has to pay $250, when s/he is the one bringing the talent, the education, and the investment to the table?  I think again this is a small market vs large market thing because not only will you not find good shooters who are willing to do TFP in larger markets very often, but as a good shooter you will not be able to keep shooting very long if you don't charge.

If you need to practice, talk to students here in Philadelphia...post your contact info at UArts, Drexel, and others that have a photography program.  They are practicing and may not give you great results, but they also are not monetarily relying on the results you give them.

I don't think you need to practice....I think that with two or three good test shoots from good photographers you'll get the idea really quickly, and get much faster results than by playing around forever.

Feb 23 06 08:07 am Link