Forums > General Industry > How do you mohowk?

Photographer

M E M

Woodford, Virginia, US

What product is best for making a mohawk? I have tried regular hair gel with no results. I need something that will hold pretty much instantly and work on fine hair.

Feb 22 06 02:01 pm Link

Model

Kita St Cyr

New York, New York, US

I've read of some people using some sugar water solution. When my sister get's home I'll ask her, she'll definately know.

Feb 22 06 02:34 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Kitapanda wrote:
I've read of some people using some sugar water solution. When my sister get's home I'll ask her, she'll definately know.

Ewwww. I hate being wet, and sticky is the worst.

Feb 22 06 02:43 pm Link

Photographer

Dee

Toledo, Ohio, US

Hair wax works nice...go to a sallys or something and the can tell you what will work and how to achieve it...I did a mohawk on 2 feet of hair with the wax and it stayed up for most of the shoot...Lotsa root teasing even with any product...Or you can make a faux hawk...Deadly design makeup told me this secret...take a hair net and ratt up some fake hair put it inside the hair net and place on the models head and bobby pin the hell out of her hair onto the -RATT- worked very nicely, only used a little hairspary to hold for that one...

Feb 22 06 02:51 pm Link

Photographer

Nerie

pomade, clear elmer's glue mixed with water (The best solution), dripping a lit candle so the wax falls onto your standing 'hawk (my friend was pretty creative and no the hot wax never burned his scalp), half a can of hairspray (literally).. it also depends on your hair. if it's thick naturally it's going to be WAY harder. try teasing as well with a fine toothed comb.

if your hair is damaged (from bleaching, heat styling) it'll be easier to get it to stand-and stay-up.

with the hairspray method: you comb up a section, hold the comb in place, spray the hair spray on both sides and immediately after blow dry that section. that creates the best "fanning effect".

best hairspray to use- aquanet. go for the cheapest, nastiest stuff that feels like (or probably does) have PLASTIC in it.

These methods are pretty gutter punk. If you want something not so umm.. grungey I guess.. try Paul Mitchell's hair glue. It comes in a bottle designed to look like Elmer's glue (the white bottle with the orange tip.except PM's has a red tip I think). It's sorta expensive but works I've heard.

With the glue method (elmer's glue+water) it's hard to get it all out of your hair at once. Pomade is the same. I've heard baking soda and water to make a paste works and also using shampoo on your DRY hair, lather and rinse. You may have to do that twice.

Also egg whites (beaten 'til stiff-make sure there is no trace of yolk AT ALL when you're beating them or it will be flat and won't "peak") or rubbing a bar of soap in your hair also works but I've never met anyone that says they use the bar of soap method.

Good luck. I hope your hair is thin or damaged to make this work. Thicker hair and mohawks really take a lot of teasing and product in my experience. ;o)

~Nerie

Feb 22 06 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

Nerie

Oh! I just read you have fine hair. You're in LUCK!

Feb 22 06 03:03 pm Link

Model

Kita St Cyr

New York, New York, US

Craig Thomson wrote:

Ewwww. I hate being wet, and sticky is the worst.

But think how good your hair will taste.

The following is a message from my sister. I claim no responsibility:

hiii kita's sis here.
theres a number of things you can do.

there is something which is SORT of like gel "hair glue" or "styling glue" it works for some people and for some it just doesn't

next there is Knox geletain which is..just that. you can find it at your grocery store. it runs for 2 bucks a pack. its not FLAVORED its just the gel part of the jello. when you don't want it anymore just wash it out with hot water. Also its easy to break when the geletain is on it so BE CAREFUL i cannot stress this enough

some people i know actually use toothpaste....i dont recommend it.

and of course there is good ol' fashion hair spray. after you spray your hair or gel it you MUST blow dry EACH SPIKE or it will just flop over.

you might want to get another person to help you do this... it becomes a hassle with only yourself~

Feb 22 06 03:05 pm Link

Photographer

Nerie

I recommend the gelatin method.

Feb 22 06 03:07 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

use Ice Spiker it works great and can hold a hawk for three days
http://www.beautydeals.net/shop/details.html?id=1102
this stuff

Feb 22 06 03:11 pm Link

Model

Armena

Savannah, Georgia, US

Back in my hard core or nothing Punk days I had a double mohawk that stood about a foot from my head.
Forget all the use egs, glue, or sugar
I used Rave hairspray #4 and a hairdryer.
I took a vented brush and held up the hair then shot it with hair spray from root to tip followed EMEDIATELY with the hairdryer on high heat low blow. I normaly left the dryer running on the counter so I could spray to dry as fast as posable. Dont worry about the hair being clumped together, you can ajust the spread after it is up. For the final placment hold I used I fine tooth comb to hold the ends in place and gave an all over liberal spray and dry.
Hope this helps
Armene

Feb 22 06 03:25 pm Link

Model

Armena

Savannah, Georgia, US

Back in my hard core or nothing Punk days I had a double mohawk that stood about a foot from my head.
Forget all the use egs, glue, or sugar
I used Rave hairspray #4 and a hairdryer.
I took a vented brush and held up the hair then shot it with hair spray from root to tip followed EMEDIATELY with the hairdryer on high heat low blow. I normaly left the dryer running on the counter so I could spray to dry as fast as posable. Dont worry about the hair being clumped together, you can ajust the spread after it is up. For the final placment hold I used I fine tooth comb to hold the ends in place and gave an all over liberal spray and dry.
Hope this helps
Armena

Feb 22 06 03:26 pm Link

Photographer

Beatbox Jeebus v2

Palatine, Illinois, US

Use hair glue... ICE works especially well and I have ultra thick curly hair.

Feb 22 06 03:29 pm Link

Model

leila

super glue

Feb 22 06 03:37 pm Link