Forums > Newbie Forum > shooting as a plus size model

Model

aston

Brooklyn, New York, US

i'am new to modeling ~~what are the best ways for me to pose being a plus size model

Feb 22 06 12:08 pm Link

Model

CristinaLex

Silver Spring, Maryland, US

Well when i first started i mean i knew what my best ASS-ete was....and i used tht to my advantage but then i looked back at my pics once i got them i started to see other ways i can pose to make my cuurves ass breast and face collaborate with each other to create an awesome image...soo ...when you shoot do what u will feel comfortable with....but dont let anyone limit the way you move...take creative critisism from photographers....and also let them know what your tryin to do with you body....they might not feel it..but hey its about what YOU feel good doing too smile

ohh yea ...if my gurl nikki and dee around they might comment 2///smile

Feb 22 06 12:13 pm Link

Model

aston

Brooklyn, New York, US

i would say my best  assets are my breast and ass and eyes so am feeling u when u said~ find a way to make them blend together~ ok but as far as jobs i know i gotta be confident...but it's hard know like u might not get it  because of #1 I'am black and #2 am plus size u feel me?/

Feb 22 06 12:23 pm Link

Model

Eve Elle

Los Angeles, California, US

You are a beautiful woman, I think you are smart to try modeling even being bigger then most. My best advice would be to just do what feels natural to your body. And do the typical model things that accentuate your features. Like pointing your toes to make your body look longer. Arch your back and suck it in as best you can. I have noticed that if I kinda stretch out it tightens my skin as well as makes my curves a little curvier. You are a gorgeous woman though and don't let any one ever tell you different. Good Luck.

Feb 22 06 12:24 pm Link

Model

CristinaLex

aston wrote:
i would say my best  assets are my breast and ass and eyes so am feeling u when u said~ find a way to make them blend together~ ok but as far as jobs i know i gotta be confident...but it's hard know like u might not get it  because of #1 I'am black and #2 am plus size u feel me?/

i understand what you are saying....but do what you feel is comfortable with what you have...and review your pics and see what you like and what you didnt like...and when you see what you didnt like...then go on to find a way to improve that pose if you want to try it again...the pic you have as an avatar is lovely...makes those boobies look volumptious...soo theres and assestt...lol...you have a beautiful even chocolate skin tone ...which most of my friends and few models i have seen lack sometimes...you also look confident enough in yourself..that you should try n e thing..

theres a pic in my port tht i took on a table...when the photographer told me he wanted me to do tht i was like man tht shyt is for small gurls...but he laughed and said tht he thinks i have what it takes to do tht so i got up there and i got some great shots i didnt think i could do ...

prove yourself wrong smile

Feb 22 06 12:31 pm Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

What kind of modeling are you interested in getting into?  Art, commercial, glamour...?  How you hold yourself and the kinds of pictures you need will vary a lot depending on your interests and what you'd like to pursue.  (For example, commercial/lifestyle stuff doesn't demand so much that plus models look as slim as possible, whereas plus fashion often does, and in glamour the emphasis is all on working those curves, etc.)  Also, where and how you carry your weight will determine a lot about what is flattering and what isn't so flattering.  That's something you'll see as you work more, and you get back pictures that you're not wild about, and pictures that you are -  you'll start to get an idea of how you photograph, and what does and doesn't work with your particular body.

If, for example, you have a pronounced double chin like I do, someone getting on the floor and shooting up is generally a really bad idea.  (Jowl city, anyone?)   So, most photographers shoot me from slightly above, to strengthen the line of my jaw and emphasize the shape of my face and de-emphasize my double chin.  I help them in this by doing the "chicken neck," a couple of isolation movements where I first jut my head forward, and then tip my chin down slightly.

If you're a big woman who doesn't really have a double chin, and many don't, then that's something you won't need to know about, but you might end up discovering something that makes your arms look really great, etc.  A lot of it is practice.

I can generally tell you that standing at a slight angle to the camera will slim your silhouette (something you may or may not want to do), and that being aware of your posture (shoulders back, tummy in, back arched) will emphasize your curves and lengthen their line, exaggerating the hourglass shape.  Spend some time in front of a mirror and figure out what your best features are - great ankles, expressive hands, a gorgeous neck, etc - and make those best features part of how you shoot.

I definitely recommend looking for photographers who have experience and expertise shooting with large bodies - they will know a lot about the lights and angles that show you off best, and you can ask questions and learn from them.  Also do things like check out plus fashion, see the poses the models do, or curvy lingerie ads, see how they are lit and angled.  A lot of modeling is acquiring an educated eye, and that starts by spending a lot of time looking at the things you are interested in.

plusmodels.com is also a great resource, with lots of working industry plus models and photographers who have a wealth of knowledge that they generously share.  There are also articles and features that can be helpful.  I highly recommend it!

Best of luck to you.

Feb 22 06 12:31 pm Link

Model

PlusModelNikki

Pontiac, Michigan, US

Shyly,

I could have not said it better! I think you took the words right out of my mouth

Feb 22 06 12:36 pm Link

Model

aston

Brooklyn, New York, US

thanks but am not even sure i just want to be on da cover of king mag one day or smooth mag or black men as a matter of fact just on da cover of a mag period without having anything to do with food!!~~~~ How do i go about getting jobs like do u guys know of any like auditions or i should wait till my port has enough pics????

Feb 22 06 12:42 pm Link

Model

Sxy6ftr

Springfield, Virginia, US

These ladies have said it best.  I try to shoot above the waist since my legs are heavy.  I love face shot.  A good "melon" shot depends on the angle, but the stretching is a definate when I do frontal shots.  Angles are the best shots for me.  I think the lighting plays a real important part in plus size modeling.

Feb 22 06 12:42 pm Link

Model

aston

Brooklyn, New York, US

Eve Elle wrote:
You are a beautiful woman, I think you are smart to try modeling even being bigger then most. My best advice would be to just do what feels natural to your body. And do the typical model things that accentuate your features. Like pointing your toes to make your body look longer. Arch your back and suck it in as best you can. I have noticed that if I kinda stretch out it tightens my skin as well as makes my curves a little curvier. You are a gorgeous woman though and don't let any one ever tell you different. Good Luck.

Feb 22 06 12:43 pm Link

Model

aston

Brooklyn, New York, US

thanks eve ur beauitful

Feb 22 06 12:44 pm Link

Photographer

Fantasy On Film

Detroit, Michigan, US

Folks...there is a new day dawning.

The AVARAGE American size for a woman is size 12..yes 12!!

Now while Milan, Paris, etc...stiil wants or see Twiggy (remember the 1960's)  the real world has changed.

It does not matter what I or the other photographers think..big/larger women/girls rule! This IS the new buying market!!!

IF you want to make money...then cater to the cliental that IS spending money!!(business 101)

Oliver

Feb 22 06 12:45 pm Link

Model

Sxy6ftr

Bravo, Oliver.  Believe it ir not the hardest part of +size modeling for me is finding a stylist who has access to clothes that come from some place other than Lane Bryant or Ashley Stuart.  More couture clothing is coming available, but until then I make the best of it with beautiful cloth, and materials.

Feb 22 06 12:50 pm Link

Model

PlusModelNikki

Pontiac, Michigan, US

SXY6FTR wrote:
Bravo, Oliver.  Believe it ir not the hardest part of +size modeling for me is finding a stylist who has access to clothes that come from some place other than Lane Bryant or Ashley Stuart.  More couture clothing is coming available, but until then I make the best of it with beautiful cloth, and materials.

I have the same problem girl... I usually check out Torrid, cause we have a store by me.  I love this store and it allows me to wear things that most people wouldnt. Not to mention, they have the coolest graphic tees! I'd shoot in those all the time if I could.  I am planning a shoot next week, w/Dee on tuesday just to show you these people all the variety a big, plus, fluffy, voluptous girl can do! smile

Feb 22 06 12:53 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

be careful Oliver, this is an emotional issue.

you might get slapped in two forums!

Ee understand marketing, sometimes I 'gently ' persuade a client that we can use some model other than the 'barbie ' type.
You know we dont push too hard if it will cost us a client.  Bills, bills, bills

Feb 22 06 12:54 pm Link

Model

aston

Brooklyn, New York, US

hell yeah oliver we gotta spend money to make money

Feb 22 06 12:55 pm Link

Model

aston

Brooklyn, New York, US

Nikki S. wrote:

I have the same problem girl... I usually check out Torrid, cause we have a store by me.  I love this store and it allows me to wear things that most people wouldnt. Not to mention, they have the coolest graphic tees! I'd shoot in those all the time if I could.  I am planning a shoot next week, w/Dee on tuesday just to show you these people all the variety a big, plus, fluffy, voluptous girl can do! smile

HOPE u da best of luck nikki and dee let them know what we could do show them large and lovely women are here and that's it

Feb 22 06 01:01 pm Link

Model

Sxy6ftr

Nikki S. wrote:

Thanks Nikki - do they have a website?

Feb 22 06 01:02 pm Link

Photographer

Fantasy On Film

Detroit, Michigan, US

Once again folks you fail to understand marketing.

I am only responding to the changes that I see in BUSINESS.

Take a look at my profile..I have made MONEY as a photographer for over 20 years..this is what I do.

The comments that I made are in NO way trying to soothe egos...this is business.

I don't care if 95 pounds or 355 pounds are the standards/benchmarks for a model..I adjust.

The rules of the game DO NOT CHANGE because of the size or participation of the models in question. (you guys REALLY need to understand the rules of the game..talk to someone who you trust who's in the game to tell you what's what)

Oliver

Feb 22 06 01:10 pm Link

Model

CristinaLex

i think big gurls produce more money than slim ones...slim is very common...but if you find a cute/ sexy/ big gurl that has someting tht stands her out from others..then CHA CHING.....

Feb 22 06 01:11 pm Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

Oliver Cole wrote:
The rules of the game DO NOT CHANGE because of the size or participation of the models in question. (you guys REALLY need to understand the rules of the game..talk to someone who you trust who's in the game to tell you what's what)

That's why I asked her what she's interested in doing.  The standards, expectations, latitudes, requirements, etc are different for different arenas.  There isn't just one game/industry.  There are scads.  It's all about finding your niche and making it work.  The rules of the fashion industry don't apply to, say, fetish models, and what is required of fetish models has nothing to do with a parts model who makes her living from her hands.

It's important to be specific when speaking about "the industry."

Feb 22 06 01:17 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Culture Photoz

Bloomfield, New Jersey, US

Hey ladies, just passing through. You all are beautiful, and I don't just mean in looks.

Feb 22 06 01:58 pm Link

Photographer

visionmedia

Troy, Michigan, US

Oliver Cole wrote:
Once again folks you fail to understand marketing.

I am only responding to the changes that I see in BUSINESS.

Take a look at my profile..I have made MONEY as a photographer for over 20 years..this is what I do.

The comments that I made are in NO way trying to soothe egos...this is business.

I don't care if 95 pounds or 355 pounds are the standards/benchmarks for a model..I adjust.

Oliver

Its funny Oliver that you are the only one that can see this change. Its hard to pay bills shooting plus sized models...unless you are into that sort of thing and get pleasure from it. I guess if that is something you really enjoy, keep up the good work.

Feb 22 06 02:13 pm Link

Model

CristinaLex

visionmedia wrote:

Its funny Oliver that you are the only one that can see this change. Its hard to pay bills shooting plus sized models...unless you are into that sort of thing and get pleasure from it. I guess if that is something you really enjoy, keep up the good work.

i think you need to stop before some plus sized models like my self come and sit on ur stupid head????

Feb 22 06 02:16 pm Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

CristinaLex wrote:
i think you need to stop before some plus sized models like my self come and sit on ur stupid head????

I didn't think what he said was particularly nasty.  Even the most successful plus shooters out there don't exclusively shoot plus, no matter how much that might be their favorite thing to do.  Most photographers cobble together a few different things to pay the rent every month, if they're even lucky enough to pay the rent with their camera in the first place.  It doesn't mean any of those things is bad, just because it has to be supplemented.

Feb 22 06 02:34 pm Link

Photographer

visionmedia

Troy, Michigan, US

CristinaLex wrote:

Cristina Lex you are pretty. Please dont sit on me.

Feb 22 06 02:35 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Culture Photoz

Bloomfield, New Jersey, US

visionmedia wrote:

Have a discussion, that's always good. This part of your statement wasn't necessary at all : "and get pleasure from it."

Feb 22 06 02:37 pm Link

Model

CristinaLex

he was saying in it a way that sounded like wats the point of shooting them at all because its not gonna get you any money.....i know a lot of photographersl...that shoot women of size ...mainly for the wrong reason...booty shots and stufrf ....and they have a ton of money....

Feb 22 06 02:42 pm Link

Model

Cher G

Los Angeles, California, US

I think all you sexy plus size models should try Igigi.  They are always having a model search.  I work for them as their graphic designer and we specialize in sexy designer clothing for women sizes 14-32.  Please try...and I'd love meet you and say that I found you guys on MM!! smile  hehe.

www.igigi.com

Here are other good websites to for look plus size modelling.

www.beautypluspower.com
www.figuremagazine.com
www.venusimaging.com
www.curvychick.com

GOOD LUCK LADIES!!  YOU'RE ALLLLL HOTTIES!!

Feb 22 06 02:48 pm Link

Photographer

visionmedia

Troy, Michigan, US

CristinaLex wrote:
he was saying in it a way that sounded like wats the point of shooting them at all because its not gonna get you any money.....i know a lot of photographersl...that shoot women of size ...mainly for the wrong reason...booty shots and stufrf ....and they have a ton of money....

You are right....for the wrong reasons.

Feb 22 06 03:04 pm Link

Model

PlusModelNikki

Pontiac, Michigan, US

Cher Grepo wrote:
I think all you sexy plus size models should try Igigi.  They are always having a model search.  I work for them as their graphic designer and we specialize in sexy designer clothing for women sizes 14-32.  Please try...and I'd love meet you and say that I found you guys on MM!! smile  hehe.

www.igigi.com

Here are other good websites to for look plus size modelling.

www.beautypluspower.com
www.figuremagazine.com
www.venusimaging.com
www.curvychick.com

GOOD LUCK LADIES!!  YOU'RE ALLLLL HOTTIES!!

Thanks Cher! smile  And as soon as I get my full length photos back, I'll re-submit! smile

Feb 22 06 11:36 pm Link

Model

Sara Beth

New York, New York, US

i don't have tons to contribute other than the standard plus sized models are like "straight" models at a larger sample size...so you still gotta be tall and all that. anyways, the ladies here are reppin just fine, had to come show my support though! another plus sista~

Sara

Feb 22 06 11:41 pm Link

Model

PlusModelNikki

Pontiac, Michigan, US

sara! i've missed you... smile we've got lots to catch up on. 

You should have seen the nastiness going around a similar thread earlier! 

https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=31395

I was like geez, sara's in school, i'm sure she'd love to respond!

Feb 22 06 11:43 pm Link