Forums > General Industry > The World's First Supermodel?

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

Oh, and "officially" and internationally, Twiggy was the first supermodel.  Started in the mid 60's at age 16.

Feb 22 06 12:29 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

CrazyIsabelAurora wrote:

ok..so name some then wink i didn't know there were a slew of african american women as models in the 40s through 70s

The only woman I can think of that would fall in that era would be Eartha Kitt.

Feb 22 06 12:31 pm Link

Photographer

giovanni gruttola

Middle Island, New York, US

KARLOS MATTHEWS wrote:
twiggy was the world's first "supermodel" sure there were other famous models before her but none were "supermodels" or had as much fame

Absolutely concur with you on this

Feb 22 06 12:36 pm Link

Model

CristinaLex

Silver Spring, Maryland, US

Vintageous wrote:
One word.........GIA

I AM IN LOVE WITH THE MODEL AND THE MOVIE

Feb 22 06 12:37 pm Link

Model

CristinaLex

images by elahi wrote:

LOL thank you for getting it there before me....man , these so called models who keep inserting their beautiful foots in their beautiful mouths...they need to READ

HAHAHAA.....everything has been done before....

Feb 22 06 12:38 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

images by elahi wrote:

well it seems that you need to study your craft a little more huh? LOL

oh you knew about the historical documentation of Black people in the fashion industry right? Yeah, sure
LOL

see...so many "models" out here trying to function in a historical vacuum thinking that they are creating something new and different when its all been done before

also Naomi Campbell
Beverly Johnson

Ok.  Bev didn't "make it" until she graced the cover of Vogue in 1974.  And gool 'ol Naomi didn't "bust" out until the late 80's.  While both made history, the thread was speaking of Pre-Janice Dickenson era supermodels which would be before 1970.  Unfortunately while both have taken strides and opened many doors for women of color, neither would achieve "true star" status prior to 1970 (with 1974 being Bev's claim to fame).  Sorry.

Now if we want to talk about the African American sect in more detail. . .mostly prior to the 1970's women of color were focused on "entertainment" as opposed to "modeling" and yes there is a difference.  We could talk about Josephine Baker and Eartha Kitt and Lena Horne and Dorothy Dandridge all you want. . .but they were singers/actresses not "models."

Feb 22 06 12:39 pm Link

Photographer

giovanni gruttola

Middle Island, New York, US

Olaf S wrote:
What the heck is a "supermodel" anyway?

The major difference between models and Super Models is simply the fact that Super Models, stop at the end of the runway.

BTW...that was a random reply directed at absolutely no one (I'm just looking to increase my post #'s)

Feb 22 06 12:40 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

images by elahi wrote:
LOL thank you for getting it there before me....man , these so called models who keep inserting their beautiful foots in their beautiful mouths...they need to READ

Personally, I would love for you, Elahi, to enlighten us all while we continue to feast on our Jimmy Choos.  I adore history lessons!  Bear in mind, the question was about "supermodels" not fashion designers, not behind the scenes people, but "supermodels."  Thanks in advance.

Feb 22 06 12:42 pm Link

Model

CristinaLex

i kinda despise the term super model.....i dont know what it is for....shouldnt a model just be congragulated for her height of success with a medal or something...Gold tube of lip stick.. a platinum silver bra....the word supermodel automatically turns the sweetest models into arrogant bitches...naomi throwing mugs at people..lol...umm janice...who is blunt with words which i like but sometimes a total bitch....giselle ...ohhh man shes got some attitude on the show on bravo "Project Runway"

Feb 22 06 12:44 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

CristinaLex wrote:
i kinda despise the term super model.....

I disagree.  I feel the term "diva" hearkens to bitchiness.  I feel supermodel means internationally known and able to accomplish anything.  One who does it all.  Much like the term superwoman.

Feb 22 06 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

I can`t stand that woman and I instantly turn the channel if she is on a tv show. Even if it is one I like because she just ruins the whole show for me,lol.

Feb 22 06 12:53 pm Link

Model

CristinaLex

Jayne Jones wrote:

I disagree.  I feel the term "diva" hearkens to bitchiness.  I feel supermodel means internationally known and able to accomplish anything.  One who does it all.  Much like the term superwoman.

oh yea most definetly DIVA turns women into bitches...forgot bout tht word..still dont like supermodel...but hate diva...thts the name of my room mates cat....shes just a bitch tht animal..lol

Feb 22 06 12:54 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

Nikki S. wrote:
She takes some amazing pictures though

*took* may be a better word. Look at her now as compared to when she first started modeling. They have to do a lot of PS now.Or, a lot more than they used to. I don`t know when she modeled so perhaps the better term might be airbrushed.

Feb 22 06 12:55 pm Link

Model

Jordyn

Raleigh, Illinois, US

Chu wrote:
I was wondering-is Janice Dickerson really the world's first supermodel-who's career didn't really kick off until the 80's? 

There have been other ladies long before she was even born who stood out in the industry-so my question is why has she been named the world's first supermodel?

What about beautiful Dorian Leigh who's name was the first model to earn a household name back in the 1940's?

Or Suzy Parker who followed Dorian after she was introduced to Eileen Ford, the owner of the successful Ford Modeling Agency in the 50's?

And Cheryl Tiegs (spelling?) of the 60's?

Even Gia Carangi of the 70's?

Four decades of women before her.

What do you all think of it?

Actually, Gia's career didn't kick off untill the 80's

Feb 22 06 12:58 pm Link

Photographer

Anthony Cole

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Jayne Jones wrote:

Personally, I would love for you, Elahi, to enlighten us all while we continue to feast on our Jimmy Choos.  I adore history lessons!  Bear in mind, the question was about "supermodels" not fashion designers, not behind the scenes people, but "supermodels."  Thanks in advance.

Hi Jayne
Im not here to take up for Elahi but what he was refering to was a post that i brought up..Skin Deep" (Inside the World of the Black Fashion Models)
Discover the real lives of Black Women in Fashion 50 years of history  By Barbara Summers...This book is very informative...This book is not about fashion Designer or behind the scenes....This tells about the black models back in the day that pave the way for the Tyras and the naomis....It a very good book..

Anthony Cole

Feb 22 06 01:26 pm Link

Model

Devana

Brooklyn, New York, US

I think the term "supermodel" refers to a model who's a household name. Someone who's known beyond the fashion inner circle. Back in the day there were famous models for sure, but not many famous HIGH FASHION models. Honestly, I don't think Janice Dickinson was ever a household name until now, therefore I really don't consider her a supermodel. When both the folks in the front row at a Carolina Herrera show AND the 50 something year old guy in the local bar in West Yippydippy, USA know your name, THEN you're a supermodel.

Feb 22 06 01:30 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

Anthony Cole wrote:
Hi Jayne
Im not here to take up for Elahi but what he was refering to was a post that i brought up..Skin Deep" (Inside the World of the Black Fashion Models)
Discover the real lives of Black Women in Fashion 50 years of history  By Barbara Summers...This book is very informative...This book is not about fashion Designer or behind the scenes....This tells about the black models back in the day that pave the way for the Tyras and the naomis....It a very good book..

Anthony Cole

Anthony, I agree that is a fantastic book.  However it seems to me that Elahi spoke down to several of us without furnishing a bit of fact himself.  Notice I said "himself."  I read what he clipped from the net, and that's all good.  However, the thread was speaking of "the first supermodel" let's not forget that.  He's coming in and preaching to us with borrowed surmons about how Chu didn't mention any African American supermodels and said something like "there was a slew of them" prior to 1970??? 

Okay, but the term "supermodel" as we know it means internationally known, and well known if not a household name.  Now by those standards. . .there just weren't that many African American women doin the "super"model thing until 1974 when Bev shattered (notice I said "shattered") the mold by being the very FIRST African American face to be on the cover of VOGUE magazine.  That was H U G E!!!  But in reference to the original OP's question. . .didn't happen before Janice Dickenson.

No one here has disputed the fact that there have been Great African American women that are NOW household names of bueaty.  African American women have made contributions to the "industry" as a whole in numbers that outnumber the sands of Egypt (meaning there's too many to be counted).  But that wasn't the thread.  Perhaps he should start one concerning that subject.  Now. . .us up in THIS thread were talking about 1-supermodels that 2-were before Janice Dickenson.  No offense.  smile

Feb 22 06 01:47 pm Link

Photographer

MartinCoatesIV

Panama City Beach, Florida, US

I'm writing this knowing no one cares by the second page.

First: putt all the race stuff in a different thread, not to say it isn't a valid discussion, but its cluttery a different discuss, start a new thread.

Second: Beyond coining terms, I believe and i think many would agree to some extent, that a super model is a model that is well know by those who do not care about modeling. Every one know Cladia, every knew Tyra before she did tv. In which case the first models to be known by everyone would have be Marilyn Monroe or maybe Betty Page. just something to think about for the 3 people that bother to go to the Second Page.

Martin IV

www.martincoatesiv.com

Feb 22 06 02:01 pm Link

Model

Kita St Cyr

New York, New York, US

Jayne Jones wrote:

Anthony, I agree that is a fantastic book.  However it seems to me that Elahi spoke down to several of us without furnishing a bit of fact himself.  Notice I said "himself."  I read what he clipped from the net, and that's all good.  However, the thread was speaking of "the first supermodel" let's not forget that.  He's coming in and preaching to us with borrowed surmons about how Chu didn't mention any African American supermodels and said something like "there was a slew of them" prior to 1970??? 

Okay, but the term "supermodel" as we know it means internationally known, and well known if not a household name.  Now by those standards. . .there just weren't that many African American women doin the "super"model thing until 1974 when Bev shattered (notice I said "shattered") the mold by being the very FIRST African American face to be on the cover of VOGUE magazine.  That was H U G E!!!  But in reference to the original OP's question. . .didn't happen before Janice Dickenson.

No one here has disputed the fact that there have been Great African American women that are NOW household names of bueaty.  African American women have made contributions to the "industry" as a whole in numbers that outnumber the sands of Egypt (meaning there's too many to be counted).  But that wasn't the thread.  Perhaps he should start one concerning that subject.  Now. . .us up in THIS thread were talking about 1-supermodels that 2-were before Janice Dickenson.  No offense.  smile

smile You are my new favorite MMer. lol

on to the OP, my vote would go for Twiggy, I think she was the first to not only achieve real "supermodel" status but to almost entirely change how models were supposed to look.

Feb 22 06 02:09 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

MartinCoatesIV wrote:
I'm writing this knowing no one cares by the second page.

Hey!!!  I worked hard on reading that.  And I'm in the top of my Hooked On Phonics Class too!!

MartinCoatesIV wrote:
First: putt all the race stuff in a different thread, not to say it isn't a valid discussion, but its cluttery a different discuss, start a new thread.

Totally agree with you.  But some people. . .just can't make 'em do anything.  big_smile

MartinCoatesIV wrote:
In which case the first models to be known by everyone would have be Marilyn Monroe or maybe Betty Page.

That's very true indeed.  I used to want to BE Marilyn.  My father said she was the most beautiful woman he had ever seen. . .that made me want to be her.  Can you imagine what she'd look like now???  And to top it off. . .she wasn't a size 0-4 either!!!  She died wearing a 16!!!

Feb 22 06 02:10 pm Link

Model

Aria...

Toronto, Iowa, US

images by elahi wrote:
Chu you have just made yourself loom real uninformed...see, seems that there is a connection bewteen researching the topics:

"Blacks in the Fashion Industry" and "The Origins of the term 'Supermodel'"

study your craft...dont try to develop a career in a historical vacuum...read and you may learn something benficial to the career you wish to develop

There is no need to get all nasty. She made an honest mistake based on the fact that society was extremely racially divided in that time. I don't think that she is actually *trying* to develop her career in a historical vacuum and it doesn't make her *real uninformed*. I'm sure there is a lot of things that occurred in history that you don't know but it is up to us to inform each other in a warm and friendly manner that peaks our interest and doesn't riddle it with hostility.

Feb 22 06 02:12 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

Kitapanda wrote:
smile You are my new favorite MMer. lol

on to the OP, my vote would go for Twiggy, I think she was the first to not only achieve real "supermodel" status but to almost entirely change how models were supposed to look.

Awww Kita!!!  I'm touched!!!  Now get your hand off my bootay!

I agree.  She did change the face and shape of models from the "flapper fullness" of the 50's I think it was.

Feb 22 06 02:12 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

Aria Kane wrote:
There is no need to get all nasty. She made an honest mistake based on the fact that society was extremely racially divided in that time. I don't think that she is actually *trying* to develop her career in a historical vacuum and it doesn't make her *real uninformed*. I'm sure there is a lot of things that occurred in history that you don't know but it is up to us to inform each other in a warm and friendly manner that peaks our interest and doesn't riddle it with hostility.

Oh no honeybunny. . .Elahi knows all things history.  He reads.  He watches the History channel.  He's 185 THOUSAND years old and was on the first ship over from the Mothaland!!  So he knows his history boo!  It's that "warm and friendly" manner of "piquing" our interest that he's got trouble with.

He's just so dang serious.  He probably will think I'm attacking him by saying all that in jest.

Feb 22 06 02:16 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

Devana wrote:
When both the folks in the front row at a Carolina Herrera show AND the 50 something year old guy in the local bar in West Yippydippy, USA know your name, THEN you're a supermodel.

Okay.  I've heard of "Peculiar, Missouri" but where the hell is West Yippydippy????  smile

Feb 22 06 02:18 pm Link

Photographer

images by elahi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

KARLOS MATTHEWS wrote:
twiggy was the world's first "supermodel" sure there were other famous models before her but none were "supermodels" or had as much fame

yeah right

Feb 22 06 03:57 pm Link

Photographer

images by elahi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Jayne Jones wrote:

Ok.  Bev didn't "make it" until she graced the cover of Vogue in 1974.  And gool 'ol Naomi didn't "bust" out until the late 80's.  While both made history, the thread was speaking of Pre-Janice Dickenson era supermodels which would be before 1970.  Unfortunately while both have taken strides and opened many doors for women of color, neither would achieve "true star" status prior to 1970 (with 1974 being Bev's claim to fame).  Sorry.

Now if we want to talk about the African American sect in more detail. . .mostly prior to the 1970's women of color were focused on "entertainment" as opposed to "modeling" and yes there is a difference.  We could talk about Josephine Baker and Eartha Kitt and Lena Horne and Dorothy Dandridge all you want. . .but they were singers/actresses not "models."

please go back and read the earlier threads....

Feb 22 06 03:58 pm Link

Photographer

images by elahi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Jayne Jones wrote:

if the shoe fits...here's the point: first deine "supermodel"...you mention household: well what households? I bet every Black family knew who Naomi Sims was...therefore if SUPERMODEL status is based on "houselhold recognition" as sole or primary criteria, then I guess she was the "first" (or someone else) in a targeted or ethnic-specific market......

Feb 22 06 04:02 pm Link

Photographer

images by elahi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Aria Kane wrote:

lol really name something I dont know LOL just joking....

Feb 22 06 04:04 pm Link

Photographer

images by elahi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Jayne Jones wrote:

Oh no honeybunny. . .Elahi knows all things history.  He reads.  He watches the History channel.  He's 185 THOUSAND years old and was on the first ship over from the Mothaland!!  So he knows his history boo!  It's that "warm and friendly" manner of "piquing" our interest that he's got trouble with.

He's just so dang serious.  He probably will think I'm attacking him by saying all that in jest.

lol actually not..it's funny....

Feb 22 06 04:05 pm Link

Model

Savvy1007

Olaf S wrote:

What the heck is a "supermodel" anyway?

Cindy Crawford
Claudia Schieffer
Heidi Klum
Kate Moss
Gisele Bundchen
Tyra Banks
Naomi Watts

just to name a few...

Feb 22 06 04:14 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

Elahi:
About Ms. Sims:
She modeled for six years.  During that time, she graced the covers of a "fashion supplement" to the NY Times, Ladies Home Journal, Life and finally Cosmo.  Up until Cosmo. . .she may have been an "African American" household name, but part of being a "supermodel" means international recognition.  Not that she didn't pave the way for Bev in 1974 (Sims stopped in 1973 with her Cosmo cover debut), but. . .we're talking about Supermodels prior to 1970.  If you'd like to know where I got my info. . .see www.NaomiSims.com and click on About Naomi.  See. . .I know how to use Google just like you!!  *LOL*

About your "Invisible Beauty" post:
Doesn't address the OP "Janice Dickenson being the first supermodel."  Your post talks about people that started after Janice.  Sorry.

So take off your think you look smart/don't need them to read glasses, come out of your invisible library of African American History books and stop tryin to half-educate everybody like you know everything there is to know about Black History(we can all google and copy paste my brotha).  Instead of talkin down to everybody else, go to Borders/Barnes and Noble/whatever and BUY some books and then sit down on your sofa and do some "reading" yourself.  Then take Martin's advice

MartinCoatesIV wrote:
putt all the race stuff in a different thread, not to say it isn't a valid discussion, but its cluttery a different discuss, start a new thread.

and start a NEW thread.

We're talkin about Janice.  You can get the hell on with all that "read your history" and "livin in a vaccum" mess.

Feb 22 06 04:59 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

The Janice discussion is back on!!!

Bring it!

How old is she anyway?  190?

Feb 22 06 05:00 pm Link

Model

Chu

images by elahi wrote:
Chu you have just made yourself loom real uninformed...see, seems that there is a connection bewteen researching the topics:

"Blacks in the Fashion Industry" and "The Origins of the term 'Supermodel'"

study your craft...dont try to develop a career in a historical vacuum...read and you may learn something benficial to the career you wish to develop

How did I loom myself as uninformed, my topic is on the WORLD'S FIRST-race not included.  Why does everything go back to race?  Are you trying to say that the world's first supermodel was black?  If not, then you must be uninformed about what this topic is about.

Feb 22 06 07:24 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

Chu wrote:
How did I loom myself as uninformed, my topic is on the WORLD'S FIRST-race not included.  Why does everything go back to race?  Are you trying to say that the world's first supermodel was black?  If not, then you must be uninformed about what this topic is about.

Honestly. . .I think he was just doing what inevitably happens in forums. . .stealing the spotlight.  I too have been guilty of such things.  I wouldn't take it personally.

Feb 22 06 08:36 pm Link

Photographer

images by elahi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Jayne Jones wrote:

Honestly. . .I think he was just doing what inevitably happens in forums. . .stealing the spotlight.  I too have been guilty of such things.  I wouldn't take it personally.

LOL first of all dont take it personally....CHU..youre in the wrong business to be thin-skinned...secondly you asked a question and in that question you stated names...I originally stated that I noticed that you CHU had not mentioned any Black models knowing that there is a long history of Black models who had received ceratin status in fashion and entertainment E.G Josephine Baker who was modeling in France.....if you had opened your question "wider" your answers would have been more...you would have had more possibilites for an answer...when you cited those names you did...you biased and limited your answers.......

now, a 5-4,  245 pound "aspiring model" has nothing to say to me about modeling and books...i have about 300 books in my collection, etc, etc,

First you must define a supermodel..and once you can come up with an industry-determined (Madison Avenue) definition then you can answer the question...when you do, dont be surpirsed that based on the definition if your answer lies someone else...wheter it be "Black" or Chinese...the point is scientifically do your research...even for fun....race has nothing to do with it..again I brought it up to answer your question...one thing for certain: you get the right answers by asking the right questions....

Feb 22 06 08:48 pm Link

Photographer

images by elahi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Jayne Jones wrote:

is that what its all about to you...stealing the spotlight? LOL is that what this is to you? I thought it was psuedo-intellectual or at least informational exchange....

Feb 22 06 08:50 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

images by elahi wrote:
is that what its all about to you...stealing the spotlight? LOL is that what this is to you? I thought it was psuedo-intellectual or at least informational exchange....

Nope.  Not so much.  You turned this into a race issue, when the rest of us were perfectly fine talking about good old loud and obnoxious Janice Dickenson.  Then you topped it off by insulting the OP. . .all in the name of "education".  Newsflash:  No one asked you to educate any of us.  We wanted to talk about supermodels.  That's it.  And here you come in with your lil glasses and books and links and whatnot. . .spoiling our panty party.
I think I'm going to nickname you College.  That's not a compliment either.  Kind of like "you're so cool. . .I'm going to call you a Coulo."

Feb 22 06 09:13 pm Link

Model

Chu

images by elahi wrote:

LOL first of all dont take it personally....CHU..youre in the wrong business to be thin-skinned...secondly you asked a question and in that question you stated names...I originally stated that I noticed that you CHU had not mentioned any Black models knowing that there is a long history of Black models who had received ceratin status in fashion and entertainment E.G Josephine Baker who was modeling in France.....if you had opened your question "wider" your answers would have been more...you would have had more possibilites for an answer...when you cited those names you did...you biased and limited your answers.......

now, a 5-4,  245 pound "aspiring model" has nothing to say to me about modeling and books...i have about 300 books in my collection, etc, etc,

First you must define a supermodel..and once you can come up with an industry-determined (Madison Avenue) definition then you can answer the question...when you do, dont be surpirsed that based on the definition if your answer lies someone else...wheter it be "Black" or Chinese...the point is scientifically do your research...even for fun....race has nothing to do with it..again I brought it up to answer your question...one thing for certain: you get the right answers by asking the right questions....

First, I have better things to do than to take something said on the internet personally.  I was simply correcting an ill stated misunderstanding-so as for the thin-skinned comment it has nothing to do with the fact YOU were off topic and YOU obviously have no idea of what you are talking about and 500 books couldn't correct it if you refuse to state facts rather than assumption. 

Additionally, had my skin not been of darker complexion would you have asked me the same question? 

I did not mention Josephine Baker because I don't consider her a model-she was a performance artist-mainly known for theatrical and singing performances-NOT modeling.  So how about you add that to your 300 book collection.  Just as although, Queen Latifah (since you insist that I include black women) is not considered a supermodel even though she is a face of covergirl and known internationally-not for her modeling, but her talent as an actress and musical artist. 

So back on subject, does anyone trace a model who has been more popular than Dorian Leigh of the 1940's?

Feb 22 06 09:23 pm Link

Photographer

KoolGirlieStuff

Gainesville, Florida, US

Suzy Parker was, is and always will be the world`s FIRST Supermodel

https://members.fortunecity.com/johnrobinson10/scansp/parkers/ParkerSuzy02.jpg

She was the FIRST model to make $100 an hour and gross over $100,000 a year for fashion and commercial work
*Please note, back then $100 bucks an hour was like $1,000 an hour now and $100k bought you alot of Jaguars, fur coats and kept you in a very plush apartment  in 1952!*

oHHH BTW she was Dorian Leigh`s YOUNGER sister

Feb 22 06 09:28 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Nadine Make-up Artist

Düsseldorf, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany

Just heard that Janice will be opening her own agency out in LA soon and I think she also works on a new TV show or something like that.

Feb 22 06 09:33 pm Link