Forums > General Industry > Worst shoots?

Photographer

WBV Artography

San Antonio, Texas, US

for the fun of it...was just thinking bout this tonight-

I get asked by this girl to photo her.  Nice girl, cute face but shaped like an egg with legs.   I do some casual of her in her dress and she wants some 'naked pichures'.   Ok, what the hell.  We go in and I have to hit the head.   I come out and she is waiting for me...ass in the air, dress pulled to her elbows.  She's going "Meow.  Meow.-Woof.  Woof."   Just like that-like she was reading from the dictionary or something.   Had the biggest bush of hair sticking out I've ever seen.   I swear I saw a giraffe poke it's head up with pelicans or something flying over.

Told her to wait a minute.  Went and used my computer to vall my house phone.  Had an emergency at work and had to leave and sent her home.   changed my number afterwards.

Feb 22 06 02:59 am Link

Photographer

Far West Imaging

Laguna Hills, California, US

Can't beat that story...you win.

Feb 22 06 03:10 am Link

Photographer

Steven Starr

Fort Mill, South Carolina, US

OMG...I'm rolling.  That was too damn funny...

Feb 22 06 03:11 am Link

Model

shellyradley

Dublin, Dublin, Ireland

OMG!!!

I think I nearly choked on me tea!!!

**splutters cough cough**

Feb 22 06 05:08 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Please don't take offense at this, but I find this whole thing troubling.  First. the story is amusing, I found myself chuckling when I heard it.  Certainly I can relate to it.

But I am missing something, why it was so terrible?  Is it simply because the girl wasn't, in your eyes pretty?  Obviously you knew that when you agreed to shoot her with her clothes on.  Was it her quirky personality?  You didn't offer to be her best friend, just to take her pictures.

I presume this was a free shoot.  Clearly if she was paying you, then it would be a different matter.  It would be unprofessional not to shoot her if she were a client.

But ... you listed this as your worst shoot ever.  To me the worst shoot would be dropping a Nikon off the bridge after spending the day on a shoot for Revlon with the CF card still in it.

The worst shoot would be spending hours building a set and having a truck come by run it over and destroying your set before you started shooting.

A worst shoot would be shooting all day and then discovering that the CF card was defective and none of the images could be saved.

What you told was a funny story and I admit that I am laughing.  But your definition of your worst shoot ever was that the girl wasn't that pretty and she had a quirky personality.

I don't know why she came to shoot with you.  Did she want to be a model?  I hate to admit it, there are a lot of people on MM who would like to model that will probably never make it.  Yet we treat them all with respect, and while we may decline to shoot them if they ask, I would hope we wouldn't walk out on them once a shoot was started.

I personally would have shot her.  She wasn't asking you to marry her, she was asking you to take her picture.  I don't do a lot of boudoir, but I occassionally get a woman (or man) want me to shoot them for their boyfriend/girlfriend or simply because they want to feel good by looking good.  They are often, older and in less than perfect shape (whch BTW, is a description that fits a lot of photographers as well).

Not everybody is beautiful.  She had her reasons for wanting to be shot.  If we agree to shoot, what we are doing is making an artistic statement with the canvas at hand.

To me this thread seems to be a little bit about laughing at someone simply because they weren't pretty.   Is that the only reason we carry a camera, to look at pretty women?

If it were me, I would have shot her pictures and then went home and had a belly laugh.  This is a funny story, but having someone look unattractive without their clothes does not rank as "My worst shoot ever."

Feb 22 06 06:25 am Link

Photographer

DeBoer Photography

Melbourne, Florida, US

Bravo Alan, bravo!

A "funny" story, but one I probably would not have shared in public on an open forum.  sad

Also rather sad that people appear to be pointing at the "fat" chick and making fun of the situation.

- Denoy

Feb 22 06 08:12 am Link

Model

Suzi

Toledo, Ohio, US

The story was funny, but only because I just watched the movie "WAITING" about waiters at a restaurant.  A waitress pulled up her skirt and had a huge bush with corn and lint stuck in it.

Hilarious!

Feb 22 06 08:34 am Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

I blame Bush!

Feb 22 06 08:42 am Link

Photographer

WBV Artography

San Antonio, Texas, US

Actually that was years ago-15?   I have developed/aged sonce then and stuff like that no longer even phases me.   It was the shocks at the time of the situation-As far as fat chick?   that never crossed my mind and was not meant to be offensive.   That is another things that has changed in my mind over the years.      I have dated and photoed some very heavy women.   I have also dated and photed some older women-grey hair wrinkles and hearts the size of Texas.   

If it were now I'd photo here but back then I was different-a stroke and transplant will change you in a lot of ways.

So-no offense meant.   I still think it was pretty funny just in the overall story tho.  smile

Feb 22 06 11:15 am Link