Forums > General Industry > Make up artist, stlist, and model soliciting a pho

Photographer

Bluemoon Photography

Cranston, Rhode Island, US

Well, I guess it's been one of those weeks.

First I get an email from a model who says she loves my work, and wants to work together. Cool. I check out her port, She's quite beautiful, but the only shots in her port are point and shoot shots where she cut out her boyfriend, or whatever. That's ok, we could work on that. I said I'd like to work together, get back to me, blah, blah, blah.

Then I get an email from a Make up artist, Same thing, nice work but only 4 pics in her port. not too clear either. That's ok. Blah, blah, blah.

Then a stylist contacts me and, well you can see where this is going.

So I thought, "Cool! I got some new contacts and maybe I'll roll them all into one shoot."

TFP, of course.

Or so I thought.

For those of you who haven't figured out what's comming, I'll get to the point. (too,late! --Ha! said it before you did!)

Long story short, all three eventually told me that they don't do TFP and I can contact them for their rates.  RATES!!!!
I am not a pro studio, this is a side thing, and I'll be the first to admit, I got alot to learn, but I'd be embaressed to post ANY of the shots in these three peoples posts.
I've seen thread after thread on this site that clearly make the point, CLIENTS PAY! not photographers. or any other trade. (Unless someone is paying to build a portfolio or some thing, you get my piont)

ANy hoo, that's my rant no question really but I'd love to read your stories of the same and maybe take some of your punches.

Thanks

Feb 21 06 05:16 pm Link

Photographer

J. Stakeman

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

So say you aren't in a posistion to pay for this particular project.  Which apparently you aren't.

And that if a project comes along with a budget, you'll keep them in mind.  Which, if you really liked their look/work... you will.

Testing for free is under the assumption that they will either get something useful for their potfolio, or you are likely to turn into a source of paid work in the future, and will remember them when you are booked to shoot a campaign...

So either work to adjust their expectations(better portfolio, better sales pitch)... or find people who beleive you are worth their time.

Simple

Feb 21 06 05:24 pm Link

Photographer

Bluemoon Photography

Clear and concise. Good advice.

Feb 21 06 05:27 pm Link

Photographer

Eugene Breaux retired

Saint James City, Florida, US

I just wouldn't write in my profile "Sometimes I pay." Gives them the wrong idea. :-)

Feb 21 06 05:28 pm Link

Photographer

Bluemoon Photography

Yeah I suppose I should change that.

Feb 21 06 05:29 pm Link

Model

Yasmineamali

San Francisco, California, US

ok so they contacted you, you're a professional they are not! but they wanted you to pay them for working with you?but they contacted you first!  hmmm ,since rates usually depend on the amount of experience and such These people had none their rates should have been none . You should have inquired about their previous experience lol just to make them feel rather silly !

Feb 21 06 05:31 pm Link

Photographer

Bluemoon Photography

Yasmineamali wrote:
. You should have inquired about their previous experience lol just to make them feel rather silly !

Ok, I'll admit it, I did!

Feb 21 06 05:34 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

well if they contacted you with the "lets work together" e-mail then they shouldnt be saying ask for my rates, they should have mentioned it first, now you said they all had kinda crappy shots in their ports sowhy are they now charging ??? you would be doing them the favor as a skilled photographer. Umm i think you should move on and dont worry i have been sucked into those traps too. so i know how you feel smile

Feb 21 06 06:03 pm Link

Photographer

Bluemoon Photography

Well, just for fun, I sent them MY rates. and the model responded "Why the Hell should I pay You?   

So stupid.

Feb 22 06 05:13 am Link

Photographer

J C ModeFotografie

Los Angeles, California, US

Again - people holding on to the myth that it's the photographers with the deep pockets!  Unless you are Bruce Weber or even Mario Testino (or Michel Comte who is an heir to an airline fortune or Davis Factor who is a scion of the Max Factor family) - you collect your money from paying clients just like the rest of the "team". 

Also - unless you are shooting something from which you hope to collect future revenue (such as art nudes to be sold as fine art prints, for example) you shouldn't have to pay other members of the team out of your own pocket since you are already incurring costs by shooting with them!

JAY carreon
PHOTOGRAPHER

Feb 22 06 06:12 am Link

Model

BeccaNDSouth

Olympia, Washington, US

Bluemoon Photography wrote:
Well, just for fun, I sent them MY rates. and the model responded "Why the Hell should I pay You?   

So stupid.

This, I really find funny...in a stupid way. I mean, the model contacted you, wanted to do a shoot with you, and then she tells you that you should pay her...the inexperienced model wants YOU to pay...that's funny! I would just send her a message back and ask her three simple words: Are you kidding?!

Some of the amateurs really make me sick.

I've been doing this for 6 years now, and there are still times that I have to pay the photographer, and there are times we work out a tfp or test. Unless the photographer is specifically working on a project that he wants me for, then I don't ask them how much they are willing to pay me, or quote my rates. That is simply for the fact that if I am working with a photographer for my own use, then they are not a client. If they are needing me for their project, then ultimately, they are a client. Even then, I sometimes will work out a trade so they don't have to pay if I can get good prints.

In fact, I am even acting as a mua at a shoot this weekend, doing it for tfp. I have always done my own makeup so far (until this Saturday, I'm using a mua), and I wanted to help out someone in need who couldn't afford to pay $100-$200 for one look. So, I am helping out. I feel we need a few good Samaritans in this business from time-to-time. It's good for the soul. big_smile

Feb 22 06 11:04 am Link

Photographer

Bluemoon Photography

Yeah, the makeup artist told me "It costs me money to put makeup on the model" or something like that.

I'm paying for the studio, I've got the camera and all the equipment. usually when I first meet with a model, Client, whatever, it's at a coffee shop... I usually pay.

I don't mind, that's just part of the game, but atleast I've been playing for more than a couple of weeks.

Feb 22 06 04:43 pm Link

Photographer

XposurePhoto

Houston, Texas, US

Well..it is not the first time nor the last...they will continue cuz there is always someone out there that will fall for it (specially if they do nudes)

Comon sense does not seems to run on some people's brains, and professionalism and real knowledge of the industry is out the window, not to mention that some so called photographers have twisted the information to their benefit resultin on bad info sent to this "Models" who thinks just bc they posed for their web cams and they are on a Model website it makes them automatically models and deserve to be paid high numbers, when  in fact they can not even pose on their own nor walk the shoes.

This has been a never ending topic and there is no cure for it, Photographers and Models are at fault on both sides...so in conclussion, to each their own, mope it out and move on, more things got lost in the Titanic and no one even remembers them.

Feb 22 06 05:01 pm Link

Photographer

XposurePhoto

Houston, Texas, US

Well..it is not the first time nor the last...they will continue cuz there is always someone out there that will fall for it (specially if they do nudes)

Comon sense does not seems to run on some people's brains, and professionalism and real knowledge of the industry is out the window, not to mention that some so called photographers have twisted the information to their benefit resultin on bad info sent to this "Models" who thinks just bc they posed for their web cams and they are on a Model website it makes them automatically models and deserve to be paid high numbers, when  in fact they can not even pose on their own nor walk the shoes.

This has been a never ending topic and there is no cure for it, Photographers and Models are at fault on both sides...so in conclussion, to each their own, mope it out and move on, more things got lost in the Titanic and no one even remembers them.

Feb 22 06 05:01 pm Link

Photographer

Bluemoon Photography

Advice so nice, you wrote it twice.

Feb 22 06 05:05 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Culture Photoz

Bloomfield, New Jersey, US

So stupid.

Should be a place to list these idiots. Really.

Feb 22 06 05:06 pm Link

Photographer

Bluemoon Photography

Agreed.

Feb 23 06 06:20 pm Link

Hair Stylist

rick lesser

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

I have found that when models and stylists are starting out sometimes they feel that they have to come across as being in the business for a while.  So they give attitude.  Pretending to be something they are not.  I've seen this in other areas as well.  Funny thing is as soon as they open their mouth we know. Something stupid seems to falls out!  Just thank them for contacting you, tell them you have a team at the moment and you'll add them to a list.  (see, you didn't lie)! R-

Feb 23 06 07:44 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Marcia Dionne

Frisco, Texas, US

Yeah I suppose I should change that.

No, people w/ crap portfolios shouldn't expect to get paid.  I don't understand these people with the point and shoot photos or camera phone photos or ooh look here's me pointing a camera at the mirror photos that think that makes them a pro and now they must be paid.  Come on, do some friggin' TFP, get some decent images and experience and then try to get paid.

You gotta crawl before you walk!

Feb 23 06 07:51 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Harvey

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Another classic example of not knowing what they are doing. My personal thought is that if someone is going to write to me and say, "I'd love to work with you" then it is not up to the photographer to put food on their table.

I too have thought "Gee...New contacts".  Lets do a test and if I like them and they have good manners, then by all means, I'll use them for a paid gig.

But as the original poster stated, then they write telling you what you will pay them and most of the time the conditions that they want.

I just scratch my head and think...hmmm...Can they see me through this thing...Do I really look that stupid?

Feb 23 06 07:58 pm Link