Forums > Newbie Forum > ok so...this might be a stupid question....

Model

Allegra Magdalena

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

I should probably ask this now, before I go any further...what exactly does TFP and TFCD stand for? I know it has something to do with how you're paid for a photo shoot....?

Feb 21 06 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

Stan Brown

Bourne, Massachusetts, US

TFp stands for Time For Prints. This means that the model and the photographer agree upon the amount of time that the model will pose and she will get an agreed upon number of prints prints in exchange for modeling time. TFCD means about the same thing except the model gets a photo cd instead. Basically it is a way for the model to get some experience and some pictures and the photographer some posing time from a model with no money changing hands. Usually the model will sign a limited model release Contact me if you need more info

Feb 21 06 02:36 pm Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

TFP = time for prints. Your time for prints to use in your portfolio.
TFCD = time for cd of images to use in your portfolio.

No money exchanges hands. No payment.

Feb 21 06 02:38 pm Link

Photographer

WASH-HI PHOTO

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

Welcome to photography acronyms 101.....this is asked and answered a lot but let me give you my rendition:

TFP=Old definition from film days.  You (the model) offer your time to photographer free in exchange for free prints.
TFCD=Digital era definition.  You offer your time to photographer free for a free CD of (all)(some) images taken at the shoot.

Here are some concerns and general rules of thumb:  If you ask the photographer to shoot....you could be asked to pay photographer's expenses/travel.  If Photographer asks you and then expects you to drive 25 miles to studio or shoot location...it is perfectly OK for you to ask for gas money.  Both of you should talk about copyright and image use privileges.  The photographer always owns the copyright...but you are within your rights to ask for written permission to copy, edit, or use the images any way you see fit.  To me, as a professional photographer, ethically, I am wrong to ask a model to do a TFCD shoot for me...then deny the model any rights to the images.  If you, the model are the requestor....your rights and privileges with the images should be negotiated before the shoot.

All this goes without saying...that if you charge an hourly fee or shoot fee to a photographer, then your rights to the images must be negotiated...because he owns both the images and paid for your time.

One more item to think about.  As a general rule....never pay a photographer to do a TFCD shoot.  TFCD implies that neither of you has a fee for services.

Have fun and good luck and OH, by the way, not every photographer nor model will agree with my definitions.  There is no recognized industry authority for definitions in the trade.

Feb 21 06 02:52 pm Link

Model

Allegra Magdalena

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

That is so helpful, Thankyou !

Feb 21 06 06:11 pm Link

Photographer

g2-new photographics

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Perfect example that there are no stupid questions.  If you don't know - ask!

(And that everyone was a beginner once.)

Feb 21 06 06:13 pm Link

Photographer

S D Y W O R L D

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

She really is a blond I see?

Feb 21 06 06:16 pm Link

Photographer

Timeless Photos

Peterborough, New Hampshire, US

Allegra Magdalena wrote:
That is so helpful, Thankyou !

and here I thought i was "Trim Fit Photographers"! What's going on? wink

Feb 21 06 06:19 pm Link

Model

shellyradley

Dublin, Dublin, Ireland

bless ya hun don't take anything personally

you meanies!!

hahaha

welcome to the site and you have any questions you just fire away chicken

xx shelly xx

Feb 22 06 05:32 am Link

Photographer

WestWoodStudios

Back in the 90's this meant TFP= Test for photographer Now it means No one makes money and if you charge for your services your a scammer or a perv!!!!!!

Feb 22 06 05:36 am Link

Photographer

Frank Hart

Port Republic, New Jersey, US

Now that you know--go get some, you could use some portfolio upgrades.There are a few good photographers in your area who migjht be willing to help you out. If not come on up here.

Feb 22 06 10:01 am Link