Forums > General Industry > How to be a magazine model?

Model

amanda Irish

Boston, Georgia, US

Where are the real castings at.  How do you apply for print work.  How to get noticed by photographer and others to be in a magazine.  Where to start, Im very curious.

Feb 21 06 12:43 am Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

are you currently represented by a mainstream agency? someone actively marketing you into Editorial circles? do you have access to the major markets? working with photographers who work & publish in those circles? just food for thought ...

best always,
fml_photog

Feb 21 06 12:49 am Link

Model

amanda Irish

Boston, Georgia, US

i have none of that and i dont know how to get that.
im in boston and stuck in a box.  its hard to get discovered.  im willing to travel anywhere

Feb 21 06 12:52 am Link

Model

kathrina_u

New York, New York, US

An agency will get you those castings. What kind of modeling are you looking to do?

Feb 21 06 01:00 am Link

Model

amanda Irish

Boston, Georgia, US

urban glamour, pin up girl, erotic fashion. swimsuit

Feb 21 06 01:01 am Link

Model

amanda Irish

Boston, Georgia, US

why what do you think best suits me to model.  check out my portfilo

Feb 21 06 01:09 am Link

Model

kathrina_u

New York, New York, US

You should submit photos of yourself to agencies. Send only polaroids. They don't want beauty shots. Wear simple clothes and no make up. If they are interested in you they will contact you. Then if you get signed they'll send you to a test shoot. The agency will pay for it if you have potential but it will come out of your paycheck on your first booking.

When the test comes back the agency will let you know which direction you will be headed (local market, catalog, commercial, editorial, runway). That's when they will send you to go sees with magazine casting directors, clients, and photographers.

Okay, I am rambling. This info is mostly for fashion modeling but I think it goes for other types of modeling too.

Feb 21 06 01:15 am Link

Model

amanda Irish

Boston, Georgia, US

i will continue to try that.  its hard to find what agencies are legit.

Feb 21 06 01:22 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

amanda Irish wrote:
its hard to find what agencies are legit.

Try the search function on the main page of the forums...this issue has been addressed.

Feb 21 06 01:24 am Link

Model

amanda Irish

Boston, Georgia, US

naw no way.  just a peek, but its not the same man.

Feb 21 06 01:28 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

amanda Irish wrote:
naw no way.  just a peek, but its not the same man.

oh really

amanda Irish wrote:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/search.php? … mit=Search

Best Agency for Bikini/lingerie type model?

Feb 21 06 01:33 am Link

Model

amanda Irish

Boston, Georgia, US

im gonna go to NEW YORK SOON.  i have a few people to meet

Feb 21 06 01:37 am Link

Photographer

legworkPhotography

Detroit, Alabama, US

amanda Irish wrote:

The question is what mags are you seeking? Urb Glam is BM, Smooth, XXL, Ozone, Streetmasters, IB Concepts, King. Do your homework in regards to pay before you start traveling, lol I laugh at alot of models that go thru changes just to be standby  models & end up not getting shot. My recommendation is just pay for an ad and market yourself rather than globe trot for a publication that wont compensate or reimburse you for travel.  Good Luck learn the key players & publishers & photographer, all are located in the credits, submissions are always helpful.

Feb 21 06 01:38 am Link

Model

amanda Irish

Boston, Georgia, US

true true. i need to keep talking to you.  you just shared some wonderful knowledge.

Feb 21 06 01:42 am Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

when a photographer wants to shoot for the larger publications, (s)he has to ask her/himself if (s)he's doing the kind of work those clients want & use; likewise, a model might ask her/himself if her/his work reflects the "look" - (this is just a commercial business) - those same clients are after ...

room for everyone to take a look at her or his work, right? sobering, huh?

best,
fml_photog

Feb 21 06 01:51 am Link

Photographer

Chuck Holliday

New York, New York, US

yeah here in the apple, things can be brutal if you dont understand how the market moves, and i dont mean the market itself but how the politics are here in NYC. most people yelled scam when sean was doing screening at fashion 40 when he used to be part of smooth mag, but he would be right there, drink in hand watching the scene.

out here, its alot of moving, and not much talking. i know of a babe who most people dont consider "hot" come here and destroy the NYC market and cake out, but some others who people consider "the hottest thing" (or whatever theyre calling it these days) go to screenings and all of that and not make their numbers because they dont understand the NYC market moving and how the politics are.

hope everything works out for you though. keep your spirits high!

Feb 21 06 01:51 am Link

Model

amanda Irish

Boston, Georgia, US

i know this guy who said he was smooth mag and his name was steve.  i was told he was a scam.  he had his own thing called SG_MODELS.  but his site looked so bootleg on onemodelplace. I know the owner only by email of smooth mag and she told me she does not know of him.  she told me all castings will be only on her website

Feb 21 06 01:56 am Link

Photographer

Chuck Holliday

New York, New York, US

yeah, most of those situations, unless you get email from the actual company email address, its a wash and set (not a good look, done deal). but dont get me wrong, its money to be made in NYC, even as a promotional/advertising type of situation along the same lines of what goes on with smooth, IBConcepts, and KING, so even if the mag thing doesnt work out here, there are other avenues, and there are alot of models here who, although not the most talked about in terms of popularity, are caked out more than some of the businesses themselves.

but i'd say come here first and make your connections, then plan a next trip and "attack" agressively. NYC'ers are more friendlier to out-of-towners in terms of business so you would have an advantage too.

Feb 21 06 02:01 am Link

Model

amanda Irish

Boston, Georgia, US

yeah alittle something something.  i will be in NY soon. i was there this weekend.  WOW, SUCH LONG LINES.  PEOPLE come from other countries to model.

Feb 21 06 02:05 am Link

Photographer

Steven Starr

Fort Mill, South Carolina, US

FML-Photography wrote:
are you currently represented by a mainstream agency? someone actively marketing you into Editorial circles? do you have access to the major markets? working with photographers who work & publish in those circles? just food for thought ...

best always,
fml_photog

This "is" the answer.

Feb 26 06 04:10 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Perez

Catasauqua, Pennsylvania, US

Hey,

When it comes to the Urban Glamour market I would suggest work on your portfolio some more and try working with Photographers that shoot for the Urban mags as well. At least the ones that shoot in the style that you see in Urban Mags.

Keep in mind that alot of Photographers that shoot for mags always have models contacting them to shoot with them so if they pic any from the emails they are probably going to pick the ones that stand out of the crowd.

Also when it comes to pay from Urban Mags I would say that is not going to happen with starting out models because they have so many models that what to come out in the mags that they will do it for free unless you have the Buffy The Body type clout.

Also another important thing to remember always about Urban mags is just because they shoot you does not mean you will make it to the finally cut no matter how much they say it. So wait for
the mag to come out first then when you are in it you can believe them and this one I had to learn.

Feb 26 06 05:22 pm Link

Model

amanda Irish

Boston, Georgia, US

EXACTLY, I WILL TO DO TFCD OR TFP WHATEVER WITH SOMEONE A PHOTOGRAPHER THAT IS IN THAT FIELD, IT JUST HARD TO FIND ONE THAT WANTS TO WORK WITH YA.

Feb 26 06 05:28 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Perez

Catasauqua, Pennsylvania, US

Then find the ones that shoot close to the style of the mag. Also you keep at it as much as you have to.

Feb 26 06 05:33 pm Link

Model

Rachel DellaPorte

Montgomery, New York, US

amanda Irish wrote:
Where are the real castings at.  How do you apply for print work.  How to get noticed by photographer and others to be in a magazine.  Where to start, Im very curious.

I'm sure everyone below me said this.... (didn't read)

1. Find out when the strong agencies (not the scams obviously.. *smile*) in your area have open calls. (a set date & time they let those wanting to model come in with thier books)
2. Hope you get signed. smile
3. If you get signed they will send you out to photographers until you have enough stuff for a comp card & the beginnings of a portfolio.
4. Then, they will send you on castings.

That is how you end up in magazines. smile

Best of luck,
Rachel

Feb 27 06 04:53 am Link