Forums > General Industry > FX Pictures VS No-FX Pictures

Photographer

Tony Sharp Chicago

Chicago, Illinois, US

Which do you prefer? I tend to prefer simple noFX shots with good lighting, composition, and pose. They tend to be clearer and easier to see. I remember while casting for my film, many of the actors and models would send me these pictures packed with photoshop effects. They were so cluttered and "stylish" that I could barely see what they looked like! LOL.

What are your thoughts on this?

Jun 21 05 11:14 am Link

Photographer

Rich Mohr

Chicago, Illinois, US

For most of my glamour work I try to stay true to the look of the model. I just make sure the eyes snap and the skin is free of blemishes and other abnormalities. With my artsy stuff, I go all out! Guess that's obvious though, hehe!

Jun 21 05 11:22 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

A photo created using alot of special effects typically means that it was a bad photo that the photographer is trying to 'cover up'.

Even worse is when an amateur creates videos loaded with special effects.  They try to dazzle you with every known effect made for the Adobe Premier editing program instead of concentrating on creating a good story.  (They usually show a ton of credits at the end as well... "written by John Doe, Directed by John Doe, Produced by John Doe, Starring John Doe).

Most television shows and movies still use the simple cuts or fades when the scene changes, which requires no specialized equipment.

While photo and video editing is pretty much required for any project, the changes should be subtle to the point where most people wouldn't think that the image was enhanced at all.

Jun 21 05 11:46 am Link

Photographer

S19

Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands

Posted by SayCheeZ!: 
A photo created using alot of special effects typically means that it was a bad photo that the photographer is trying to 'cover up'.

???!!!

Jun 21 05 12:02 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Sharp Chicago

Chicago, Illinois, US

Posted by Visualclash: 

Posted by SayCheeZ!: 

???!!!

You're an exception, Visualclash. ^_^ Your FX aren't gratuitous and obsuring. I can clearly see what your models look like. Excellent work, by the way!

Jun 21 05 12:15 pm Link

Photographer

s. jenx

Morton, Pennsylvania, US

Personally, I think there are a lot of people out there who just learned a little photoshop and throw every filter imaginable on the work.  And in that respect special effects are the worst idea ever. 

I know for myself, I use them to enhance my original concept.  A lot of times people don't even realize that the photo was set up, and they are talking to me about how i PS'd the model in here and did this with the back ground.  Surprise!

Honestly, I believe that people should learn basic techniques first.  Color and composition techniques.  Take some painting, scultping and other fine art classes.  Learn about classic lighting techniques.  Mimic a classic painting's lighting.  Once you can do all this flawlessly and you start to develop a style, THEN work with computer editing stuff.  That's just my suggestion though.

Jun 21 05 01:13 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Sharp Chicago

Chicago, Illinois, US

Posted by s. jenx: 
I know for myself, I use them to enhance my original concept.

And this is how I believe special effects should be utilized. Anyone can gloss up a bad picture with a few photoshop filters.

For example...

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v611/tsharpfilm/wtf.jpg

LOL!!

Note: This is a picture I did for this post.

Jun 21 05 02:53 pm Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Los Angeles, California, US

Well, this is yet another very interesting topic and forgive me if I seem to sit on the fence on this one.

I am a video editor as well as a photographer and Producer.I love photoshop, after effects and Video Vegas. And while it is true that there are photogs and editors out there that use filters and effe cts to cover up their lack of skills, it is also true that there are a great many of us who use those very same effectws and filters to dazzle and astound. On my website you will see examples of simple edits as well as heavy effects. It depends on the project and or my mood.

Everything has it's place. I am never to qick to judge anothers work unless I have had the opportunity to get in their head.

Just my thoughts...

Vance McDaniel
True Image Concepts

Jun 21 05 03:04 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Vance who???
Oh wait i knew a Vance way back in the begining of Mayhem!!

Ill find something to say about this!!

Jun 21 05 03:15 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Sharp Chicago

Chicago, Illinois, US

Posted by Vance: 
Everything has it's place.

Including that stupid picture I just did?

I am never to qick to judge anothers work unless I have had the opportunity to get in their head.

I try very hard not to prejudge people. However, I do believe we all have a right to judge each other's work.

Jun 21 05 05:08 pm Link

Photographer

Uvision Media LLC

Central Square, New York, US

Hmmmm? I wonder if I'm included in this talk about to much photoshop? This talk about bad pictures being covered up by photoshop isn't 100% true. I for one sometimes plan the shot just so I can photoshop the hell out of it. This image below is an example of that.

https://modelmayhem.com/pics/20050514/1/42867dba2e669.jpg

Jun 21 05 05:49 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Sharp Chicago

Chicago, Illinois, US

Hi Rafael. In my opinion, the picture you just posted is art. I even took a few steps from my computer to see how the textures and colors would blend from a distance. It looks very cool and consistent. The solemn look on the subject's face and the grain / brown tone adds up to a very clear concept. It's obvious that you didn't just take a crappy picture and toss a bunch of cheap FX over it.

Jun 21 05 05:59 pm Link

Photographer

Uvision Media LLC

Central Square, New York, US

Posted by Tony Sharp: 
Hi Rafael. In my opinion, the picture you just posted is art. I even took a few steps from my computer to see how the textures and colors would blend from a distance. It looks very cool and consistent. The solemn look on the subject's face and the grain / brown tone adds up to a very clear concept. It's obvious that you didn't just take a crappy picture and toss a bunch of cheap FX over it.

Ok just making sure I knew what you were getting at before I started to raise the war flags lol.

Jun 21 05 06:30 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Sharp Chicago

Chicago, Illinois, US

Posted by Rafael  Alvarez: 

Posted by Tony Sharp: 

Ok just making sure I knew what you were getting at before I started to raise the war flags lol.

Hehehe. smile

Jun 21 05 08:09 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Sharp Chicago

Chicago, Illinois, US

I wonder what models think about this?

Jun 21 05 10:33 pm Link