Forums > General Industry > I'm published!

Photographer

Kevin P.

Houston, Texas, US

Well, sort of.  I was at the book store flipping through Picture Magazine and saw this…

http://www.whiteorangedesign.com/Tearsheets/

The funny thing is that I canceled my membership with APA last year because I wasn't close to any of their chapters for it to be useful.  I guess they just happened to still be using my images on their site.  Now I wonder if I should sign up with them again.  LOL.

Feb 19 06 04:10 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

Well hey - congrats! It's always a very cool thing to be published and see your work in print. I was published for the first time this Summer, and I sold my very first stock image this month. While there's no "real" money involved in any of this it's still a very good feeling that someone appreciates your work enough to use it. May you be published more and more!

-P-

Feb 19 06 04:16 pm Link

Photographer

Jeffrey Ross

Naperville, Illinois, US

Congrats!  But why sign up again?  Right now you're getting free advertising without paying them. 

Sign up with a few other places and cancel your membership with them too!  Luck seems to be on your side smile

Feb 19 06 04:17 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin P.

Houston, Texas, US

Ha ha, true.  But if someone saw the article and was interested in seeing the whole work they can't.  My account is now gone on APA.  So any interest the viewer might have had about that tiny preview is lost because they won't be able to find me.  sad

Jeffrey Ross wrote:
Congrats!  But why sign up again?  Right now you're getting free advertising without paying them. 

Sign up with a few other places and cancel your membership with them too!  Luck seems to be on your side smile

Feb 19 06 04:20 pm Link

Photographer

Morton Visuals

Hope, Idaho, US

CONGRATS on your first publication!

If you are seeking publication, I definitely encourage you to be active in a professional organization. It's a good idea to support those organizations which work to further our industry and our collective goals as photographers. I am active with ASMP, and am listed on the ASMP national website. FindAPhotographer.org is a valuable benefit - Walgreens hired me from there, and that simple shoot paid my dues for two years. Serving on the Board here in San Diego also helped me land a 2-day shoot with the county, which covered my dues for the better part of a decade. The professional organizations are also the ones lobbying for OUR rights in Congress, including the current push to allow trademarks to "override" copyrights in a sense. (Essentially TM owners want to be able to go after photographers whose copyrighted work has a TM item in the image, even if the use is non-commercial.) Unless you are shooting solely for your own personal amusement, pleasure, or personal reasons, I encourage anyone who wants to make a business of their photography to join an organization relevant to their interests (ASMP, APA, PPofA, NPPA, etc.).

[end sermon]
Wm

Feb 19 06 06:22 pm Link