Forums > General Industry > Slow business... What am I doing wrong?!

Photographer

Tony Sharp Chicago

Chicago, Illinois, US

:CRIES:

This doesn't make any sense... People tell me I have talent as a photographer, but why can't I make that much money as a photographer?! I'm offering 10 digitally enhanced pictures for $30 right now, and so far I've only gotten a few replies. What am I doing wrong?!

:CRIES SOME MORE:

Jun 20 05 08:37 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Selling too cheap, maybe?

Mike

Jun 20 05 08:42 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

Go where the money is,  not to where doggies poop.

And stop crying.

Jun 20 05 08:44 pm Link

Photographer

J Welborn

Clarksville, Tennessee, US

Hey I agree with Mike --your offering a 300-400 dollar deal for 30 bucks . The customer has to say -what's wrong with this deal.
Price your work normally and say you are offering a discount for a period of time . Just like the car dealers do . They don't loose money they just don't make as much profit.

Jun 20 05 08:45 pm Link

Photographer

Marcello H Photography

Temple, Texas, US

What size are the prints? The larger, the better.

Jun 20 05 08:46 pm Link

Photographer

William Herbert

Bryan, Ohio, US

Posted by Tony Sharp: 

This doesn't make any sense... People tell me I have talent as a photographer, but why can't I make that much money as a photographer?! I'm offering 10 digitally enhanced pictures for $30 right now, and so far I've only gotten a few replies. What am I doing wrong?!

Maybe you are advertising in the wrong spot..

Jun 20 05 08:47 pm Link

Photographer

rickOPIOLA

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

here's my theory... seems like most people are afraid of cheap photography (i mean in price not in quality)... and the cheaper it is, the more suspicious they are... they either want it for free or are willing to pay regular pro rates...
i'm the same way i guess, i'll shoot for free or i'll shoot at regular rates (or offer a discount for certain people) but never for only a few bucks... it sets a dangerous precedence... i'd rather shoot for free, if the model would be good for my book, or i just don't take the booking)...

Jun 20 05 09:06 pm Link

Photographer

Tommy Mc Photography

Carson, California, US

Posted by NuruExpressions: 

I don't think he is selling prints. I think he is selling jpgs.

Jun 20 05 09:09 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Sharp Chicago

Chicago, Illinois, US

Posted by Mike Cummings: 
Selling too cheap, maybe?

Mike

That's what I was thinking, but... what the heak!? In my buzz post I do explain that I'm trying to make money fast for a film I'm doing, and thats why I'm charging so little. We could help each other out. I get a little money for my film, and the model gets 10 sweet pictures for his/her portfolio. sad

Jun 20 05 09:16 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Sharp Chicago

Chicago, Illinois, US

Posted by Tommy McI: 

I don't think he is selling prints. I think he is selling jpgs.

This is true. I am selling the JPGS. However, I can get the pictures printed for $5 each. 10 pictures for $30 + 10 printouts for $50 = $80. That still totals to something insanely cheaper than what most are charging.

Jun 20 05 09:18 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Sharp Chicago

Chicago, Illinois, US

Posted by Jack D Trute: 
Go where the money is,  not to where doggies poop.

And stop crying.

Mmm...

And okay. smile lol

8x10.

Posted by rickOPIOLA: 
here's my theory... seems like most people are afraid of cheap photography (i mean in price not in quality)... and the cheaper it is, the more suspicious they are... they either want it for free or are willing to pay regular pro rates...
i'm the same way i guess, i'll shoot for free or i'll shoot at regular rates (or offer a discount for certain people) but never for only a few bucks... it sets a dangerous precedence... i'd rather shoot for free, if the model would be good for my book, or i just don't take the booking)... 

This makes no sense to me. sad People will actually judge you on how much you charge and not on the quality of your work?

Jun 20 05 09:36 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

Posted by Tony Sharp: 

This makes no sense to me. sad People will actually judge you on how much you charge and not on the quality of your work?

Yup. So you're damned if you charge pro rates and damned if you don't.

Jun 20 05 09:52 pm Link

Photographer

RFAphoto

Phoenix, Arizona, US

It's true! I've heard of wedding Photogs who INCREASED their rates as they were swampled with business, the result was MORE people wanted him for their wedding! when you offer something for below market value, a lot of people start to wonder what's wrong with it.

Advertising here isn't the best place either, you are surrounded by "Models" who think one of two ways; the photographer is their customer or that all work where they are not getting paid should be free! the concept of "Models" paying for pictures is a well established fact everywhere but on internet "Modelling"

Jun 20 05 10:00 pm Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

You're not advertising enough? Somewhere I read that in order to make $500 selling goods at $50 each, one has to reach an audience of 5000.

Jun 20 05 10:01 pm Link

Photographer

John Swoger

Peoria, Arizona, US

The old adage, "You get what you pay for" is often in peoples minds. They think if you are charging such low rates, your work either sucks, which it does not BTW, your profile is awesome, or you plan to rip them off, which I doubt as well.

And as others have said, you will not get rich trying to make money from "Internet Models", they will almost never pay you, period.

Raise your rate and advertise to people that will pay for your excellent services.

Best of luck.

Jun 20 05 10:10 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Sharp Chicago

Chicago, Illinois, US

Model - "How much do you charge?"
Tony - "$30 for 10 pictures. Would you like to see my portfolio?"
Model - "Err... nah... That's okay. sad"

Model - "How much do you charge?"
Tony - "$10,000 for 1 picture."
Model - "Wow! For that much your pictures must be quality! Sign me up!"

Is it just me, or does this sound a wittle odd....

But okay... Fine... I'll go ahead and stop playing so nice and charge my normal rate.

Posted by Joe K. Perez: 
You're not advertising enough? Somewhere I read that in order to make $500 selling goods at $50 each, one has to reach an audience of 5000.

This is probably true also.

So the secret to becoming a successful freelance photographer is to advertise and charge a lot?? LOL.

Jun 20 05 10:11 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

Posted by rickOPIOLA: 

wrong wrong wrong

I have to contest that theory. For more years than I can remember, the majority of inquiries coming from major Yellow Page advertising has proven that most call only to find the lowest price. "Hello, what is your fee for ......? Ok, thank you!". Maybe one out of a hundred actually want to bother to come in to even see your work. They don't think the same way we do. If you're a photog then you're a photog. If we have a business the thinking is we all can basically shoot the same way for what they want. Welcome to the world of full time studio photography and dealing with the public.

Jun 20 05 10:15 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

How many times do I need to quote The Godfather on these forums?

[Johnny Fontaine is discussing his problems with Woltz]
Johnny Fontane: Oh, Godfather, I don't know what to do. I don't know what to do.
Don Corleone: [shouts] You can act like a man!
[he slaps Johnny]
Don Corleone: What's the matter with you? Is this how you turned out? A Hollywood fannuchio that cries like a woman?
[Don Corleone imitates him sobbing]
Don Corleone: What can I do?
[camera pans to Tom who is laughing]
Don Corleone: What can I do? What is that nonsense? Ridiculous.

Jun 21 05 12:58 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

People who wantr the cheapest price can get it for free.  People who want the best quality aren't going to take $2/shot very seriously.

Jun 21 05 01:57 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Posted by Tony Sharp: 

I am not sure if I should envy you...

I am shooting so much... I must work sometimes overnight, with no sleep to catch up with post production work, before I am going to the next assignment after breakfast or so.

I have to cancel sometimes personal invites of celebrities because I am overbooked.

Tell me your secret... how do you manage not being overworked and stressed out?

Alex Billington (MM# 9228) was accompanying and assisting today at an event, where he met VP of RocaWear, a headdesigner of SeanJohn, two other fashiondesigners, a rap artist and a former NBA player. While there, I was commissioned by several more people for other photoshoots and commercial projects...

In addition to that, several models want me to shoot their portfolios... and that was just ONE event... and that is going on all the time and totally multiplies.

Maybe you understand now that I wasn't really joking... I have a lot of work and need a vacation... LOL

Jun 21 05 02:08 am Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Posted by Udo R Photography: 

Posted by Tony Sharp: 

I am shooting so much... I must work sometimes overnight, with no sleep to catch up with post production work, before I am going to the next assignment after breakfast or so.

I have to cancel sometimes personal invites of celebrities because I am overbooked.

Alex Billington (MM# 9228) was accompanying and assisting today at an event, where he met VP of RocaWear, a headdesigner of SeanJohn, two other fashiondesigners, a rap artist and a former NBA player. While there, I was commissioned by several more people for other photoshoots and commercial projects...

In addition to that, several models want me to shoot their portfolios... and that was just ONE event... and that is going on all the time and totally multiplies.

Maybe you understand now that I wasn't really joking... I have a lot of work and need a vacation... LOL

Sounds like you could use some help... Where do we send the applications?

Mike

Jun 21 05 02:17 am Link

Photographer

Uvision Media LLC

Central Square, New York, US

1st off always charge full price. If things are slow then at least you'll be making better money per shoot and not feeling like it was a waist of time. 2nd off learn to promote your work better. The net sucks for making money as a photographer. You get way to many FTP/CD deals on here to really expect anything paid. Promote your work locally (news papers, business cards, hunt your target clients out). I feel these are most likely your biggest problem. Never under cut your own prices. Yeah you might get some work but it's real hard to make those clients pay full price once you've given them such a sweet deal. They tend to get pissed off and act as if you are trying to rip them off. Either do it for free or charge full price right out the gate and you'll never gave this problem.

Jun 21 05 05:38 am Link

Photographer

Tony Sharp Chicago

Chicago, Illinois, US

Posted by theda: 
People who wantr the cheapest price can get it for free.  People who want the best quality aren't going to take $2/shot very seriously.

That still sounds a little goofy to me. Why can't the models judge the quality of my work by actually looking at my work?

Posted by Rafael  Alvarez: 
1st off always charge full price. If things are slow then at least you'll be making better money per shoot and not feeling like it was a waist of time. 2nd off learn to promote your work better. The net sucks for making money as a photographer. You get way to many FTP/CD deals on here to really expect anything paid. Promote your work locally (news papers, business cards, hunt your target clients out). I feel these are most likely your biggest problem. Never under cut your own prices. Yeah you might get some work but it's real hard to make those clients pay full price once you've given them such a sweet deal. They tend to get pissed off and act as if you are trying to rip them off. Either do it for free or charge full price right out the gate and you'll never gave this problem.

Advice taken.

Jun 21 05 08:53 am Link

Makeup Artist

Tracey Masterson

Shelton, Connecticut, US

Tony, this is mostly all excellent advice. 
I know it doesn't seem like it makes sense to up your price, but that is just the way it works.  I am in more demand when I charge more as a makeup artist, as well.  Expecially when it comes to bridal clients.  They don't want someone that will jack up their face for 50 dollars.  (Well, some are so darn cheap that they do.  But, that is a different story.)  And models and clients don't want a photographer that will jack up their prints for 50 dollars, either.  What is really the underlying theme is confidence.  You need to have the balls to say, "I charge 350.00 for a photo shoot.  This includes x amount of prints.  You supply the makeup artist or I will arrange for one.  That is x dollars more.  When do you want to come in?"
It is all about the confidence level, in my opinion.  Let them know you are worth it.  Or make them think so, at least.
BTW, your new pix look great.  Your book is really looking good these days.
Good luck.

Jun 21 05 10:45 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Posted by Mike Cummings: 

Posted by Udo R Photography: 

Posted by Tony Sharp: 

Sounds like you could use some help... Where do we send the applications?

Mike

Hey Mike...

Actually, I do need help. I am looking for interns as assistants... but sofar... I posted on some boards, but I am rather looking for photography students who want to do it... I didn't pursue it well enough yet I guess.

Maybe bulletin boards in schools and on some photolabs in the photodistrict... don't know... when I have more time, I'll take care of it... Catch 22 I guess...

Jun 21 05 10:50 am Link

Photographer

Lost Coast Photo

Ferndale, California, US

My grandfather used to say, if you charge too little, people won't believe they're buying quality.

Beyond that, what exactly is your market niche?  Who are you trying to sell to?  Are you reaching the right audience?  It's going to be tough to sell direct to models, because 1) most of them are young and don't have very deep pockets, and 2) there's little incentive for them to return to the same photographer twice at least for pay, so no repeat business = never ending marketing to find new clients, and 3) every other online photographer is after the same market, it seems.

If a brand new model asked me for portfolio building advice, I'd tell her to spend top dollar on one major-market nationally known photographer and then do a few tfp's.  I'm not sure I see where the K-Mart (inexpensive) niche fits in, really. 

Jun 21 05 10:58 am Link

Photographer

Tony Sharp Chicago

Chicago, Illinois, US

Posted by Tracey Masterson: 
Tony, this is mostly all excellent advice. 
I know it doesn't seem like it makes sense to up your price, but that is just the way it works.  I am in more demand when I charge more as a makeup artist, as well.  Expecially when it comes to bridal clients.  They don't want someone that will jack up their face for 50 dollars.  (Well, some are so darn cheap that they do.  But, that is a different story.)  And models and clients don't want a photographer that will jack up their prints for 50 dollars, either.  What is really the underlying theme is confidence.  You need to have the balls to say, "I charge 350.00 for a photo shoot.  This includes x amount of prints.  You supply the makeup artist or I will arrange for one.  That is x dollars more.  When do you want to come in?"
It is all about the confidence level, in my opinion.  Let them know you are worth it.  Or make them think so, at least.
BTW, your new pix look great.  Your book is really looking good these days.
Good luck.

Thanks a lot, Tracey, and everyone. I'm going to erase all my $30 offer threads and just charge my regular rate from now on.

Jun 21 05 11:03 am Link