Forums > General Industry > Possibly relocating -- Anyone know the area?

Photographer

Herb Way

Black Mountain, North Carolina, US

For reasons that I don't care to get into, I may be relocating, later this year, to Aberdeen, North Carolina.  It's in Moore County, very close to Pinehurst, where the U.S. Open golf tournament was just played.  Can anyone provide information on the business and creative communities in the area?  I have extensive experience as a wedding, corporate, editorial, and art photographer.

Jun 20 05 06:20 pm Link

Model

Carlie Lawson

Longtown, Oklahoma, US

Oh my. Hon. Are you originally from New Jersey? Because the Deep South is probably going to be a pretty serious adjustment. (I'm originally from SC, but my immediate family relocated to NC a few years back.)

Regarding business opportunities, as far as smaller towns go, Aberdeen is a pretty decent pick. You're going to be located 2 1/2 hours east of Charlotte, and 1 hour and 15 minutes west of Fayetteville, two of the larger cities. Charlotte will have the best opportunities for gallery showings, etc. but those will be limited as its still a small city. Fayetteville could provide ample portrait and wedding work, as Ft. Bragg (Army) is located there and is a pretty major base. That equals lots of military families and young enlisteds who marry before duty assignments. Also, you're going to be a mere three hours from two gorgeous beaches - Wilmington, NC and Myrtle Beach, SC - which will provide some amazing locations.

Jun 20 05 11:12 pm Link

Photographer

Marcello H Photography

Temple, Texas, US

You may also want to try Raleigh/Durham, which will be 2 hours northeast of Aberdeen. There are many technology related companies there which could provide opportunity for your corporate and editorial photography.

Jun 20 05 11:35 pm Link

Photographer

Herb Way

Black Mountain, North Carolina, US

Posted by Christine 16: 
Oh my. Hon. Are you originally from New Jersey? Because the Deep South is probably going to be a pretty serious adjustment. (I'm originally from SC, but my immediate family relocated to NC a few years back.)

Regarding business opportunities, as far as smaller towns go, Aberdeen is a pretty decent pick. You're going to be located 2 1/2 hours east of Charlotte, and 1 hour and 15 minutes west of Fayetteville, two of the larger cities. Charlotte will have the best opportunities for gallery showings, etc. but those will be limited as its still a small city. Fayetteville could provide ample portrait and wedding work, as Ft. Bragg (Army) is located there and is a pretty major base. That equals lots of military families and young enlisteds who marry before duty assignments. Also, you're going to be a mere three hours from two gorgeous beaches - Wilmington, NC and Myrtle Beach, SC - which will provide some amazing locations.

Thanks.  Yes, I'm a born and bred Jerseyan.  I know that the move will require a financial mindset adjustment as people in that area make less and spend less.  Fayetteville's website shows unemployment at 11.7%. 

I'll be making my first visit to Aberdeen late next week and staying through the holiday weekend.  Is there anything in particular that I should try to check out?

Jun 21 05 04:59 am Link