Forums > General Industry > brooks graduate or H.S flunky

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

who would you hire???...my $$$ is on the flunky...i will hire someone with NO experience before i hire some baboon with a portfolio.

Feb 16 06 09:11 pm Link

Photographer

Craig A McKenzie

Marine City, Michigan, US

Depends on who can make the image...credentials mean very little to an art director.

Feb 16 06 09:14 pm Link

Photographer

Angelo Lorenzo

Simi Valley, California, US

I agree with the above, the bottom line is who can get the image.

Feb 16 06 11:31 pm Link

Model

Miss Tempe 2006

...well in most cases the highschool dropout... mainly because he has more ot prove... but then again the brooks grad shows that he is truly serius about his career and took an extra step... but it the end it's to whoever can produce the best image...

Feb 17 06 12:32 am Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

i have to adopt the airlines theory of hiring...they hire the majority of their pilots through the commuter system as opposed to hiring cocky jet jockys from the military system...i would rather be able to mold a mind/empoyee than to have to overcome the "artistic" conceit of some fart out of RIT Brooks or OIP.

Feb 17 06 06:46 am Link

Photographer

Justin N Lane

Brooklyn, New York, US

It's the end that counts... but I have to jump in a point out that there seems to be a bunch of anti photo/art school sentiment around the forums (not worth the money, elitist, "artistic" conceit...blah blah blah).  Someone who's entirely self taught might infact be MORE obstinate and defensive out of pride, insecurity, and lack of insight...at least if you've been through the hell of a serious creative/technical program, you know how to deal with and appreciate opposing opinions, arrogance, deadlines, problem solving on the fly within constraints, not to mention exposure to techniques you might never have even known about otherwise...you have a more diverse toolkit so to speak.

The best combo would be someone with a formal education AND some realworld experience.

Feb 17 06 07:05 am Link

Photographer

nathan combs

Waynesboro, Virginia, US

i grad from a photo school Hallmark ins. of photography and i have no artistic ability what so ever lol i also have no attitude excepted for your paying me so your the boss and what ever you say goes audited we had the business is #1 approach drilled in to us by the school not the i am a artiest and my poop don't stink one there this would not fly

Feb 17 06 07:05 am Link

Photographer

nathan combs

Waynesboro, Virginia, US

i glad i went i did LEARN a LOT there that i may not have on my own or would have taken a LOT more time i had access to things that i would not have other wise like being able to talk to bigger name photographers that have made it and getting info from them or the teachers that had a lot of experience that they passed on to us

Feb 17 06 07:10 am Link

Photographer

BasementStudios

Newton Falls, Ohio, US

Justin N Lane wrote:
It's the end that counts... but I have to jump in a point out that there seems to be a bunch of anti photo/art school sentiment around the forums (not worth the money, elitist, "artistic" conceit...blah blah blah).  Someone who's entirely self taught might infact be MORE obstinate and defensive out of pride, insecurity, and lack of insight...at least if you've been through the hell of a serious creative/technical program, you know how to deal with and appreciate opposing opinions, arrogance, deadlines, problem solving on the fly within constraints, not to mention exposure to techniques you might never have even known about otherwise...you have a more diverse toolkit so to speak.

The best combo would be someone with a formal education AND some realworld experience.

Those types of feelings about photographers that are formally trained are made probably because that has been the experience that most have had.  I know it is with me.  Of all the photographers that I have met and know(n) personally are quite arrogant and 'elitist'.  Very condescending to those that are self taught.  I think people make comments, for the most part, based on their own experience on a matter.

Feb 17 06 07:11 am Link

Model

Kelley De Lee

Aledo, Texas, US

I am attending brooks in May. I don't think photographers appreciate the challenges brooks forces thier students to take. I believe that education with experience is the very best to hire. Instead of someone who still hasnt even realized what it is like to let go of highschool drama because that can't even graduate, I would want to hire an educated, experienced brookie. Brooks students do amazing things that most regular photographers don't ever get a chance to do. I think education is always most important. That is just my opinion.

Feb 19 06 02:07 pm Link

Model

Kelley De Lee

Aledo, Texas, US

I am attending brooks in May. I don't think photographers appreciate the challenges brooks forces thier students to take. I believe that education with experience is the very best to hire. Instead of someone who still hasnt even realized what it is like to let go of highschool drama because that can't even graduate, I would want to hire an educated, experienced brookie. Brooks students do amazing things that most regular photographers don't ever get a chance to do. I think education is always most important. That is just my opinion.

Feb 19 06 02:07 pm Link

Photographer

EL PIC

Austin, Indiana, US

Kelley De Lee wrote:

Thanks for answering my message in the forum.
Kelley has a very good point here.
You are not a GWC {Guy or Girl with camera} if you are degreed in photo.
I am not sure I would get my RIT B.S. Degree now 30 years latter
but this girl has some kind of attitude I can admire.

E L

Feb 19 06 02:19 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

The best school will never make an untalented person talented.
A talented person can be a great photographer without ever going to school.
A great school will make a talented person even better!

I work with people based on the quality of their work, not the quality of their education.  However, talented people with a great education will maximize their potential.

What if Michelle Kwan never had a coach?  She would still be a great skater, but talented coaching made her better.

Feb 19 06 02:34 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

BCG wrote:
who would you hire???...my $$$ is on the flunky...i will hire someone with NO experience before i hire some baboon with a portfolio.

I've worked with plenty of both.  90% of The shooters I work with that get the big jobs Sony, HP, etc are Brooks graduates....They are consistantly right on when it comes to lighting etc.....  I'm not saying there are not good self taught photographers out there but I would put my money on the photographer that invested years and lots of money into their art....it shows me that they are serious about this as a profession and I do know that they at least understand technically how to take a photo, lighting etc.  I believe Brooks is one of the better schools for photography, it was $30,000 a year about 10 years ago, what it is now I am not sure.  My son is considering attending when he gets out of the military so I guess I will find out...Yikes!!!

Feb 19 06 03:50 pm Link

Photographer

Rich Meade

Atlanta, Georgia, US

alot of talk about brooks....

What about AIA!

eh... school is school... we joke here about school makeing us into stellar assistants.

we are a commercial school, where all of our fields pretty much require assiting to make it anywhere.

but alot of that is just paying dues... picking up connections.

we have some of the top young photograhers in the country at my school, being published left and right.   and I'm willing to bet that we can compete with any professional out there and beat alot of them (technically), but thats ALL school can teach us, technical skills.. everything else is learned through assisting and working. 

Sure some of us come off cocky.. but you seasoned veterans know better.. that it takes more than technical superiority to make a name for yourself.  I've assisted for great photograhers, that don't even know the f/stops on their RZ, she makes 30-40g's a shoot, but her knowledge of the business, models, schmoozing, and eye for great photos is what sets her apart.

again... it all goes back to ones motivation, and how hard their willing to work to get what they want out of the business.

Us students are the future, and 30 years from now we'll be the legends, and there will be more new up and comers... its a cycle.

Feb 19 06 04:23 pm Link