Forums > Newbie Forum > new makeup artist

Makeup Artist

Melissa Rachelle

Miami, Florida, US

Hi I'm new to this site.  All feedback on my work is greatly appreciated.

Thanks Much,
Melissa

Feb 15 06 01:31 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

Well iam going to blunt and i hope you can take it smile
I think you need to diversify your port, all of the faces in your port are kinda the same, not alot of differnces so its difficult to think you can do anything but a natural ish  look.
Some of the faces are shiny and i am not sure if that was your idea or just didnt powder enough but there s a couple that would have been awsome without all of the HOT spots .
I think you might want to take some classes just to diversify your self, I thought i could do make-up before I whent to school for make-up , i was wrong, not I can do make-up and i feel i rock it. But i practice so much and work my craft all the time,
it looks like you have some beautiful models and they look great but there alot of work to be done to have an out standing portfolio.

so my bigest sudgestions would be "diversify" do something differnt go out side of your natural box
and dont forget to powder, a little shine is good for somethings but to many hot spots just look kinda lazy. and over done.
Keep in mind that not all make-up works for photographic shoots.
But hey thats just my 2 cents. take it or leave it
...Mandy of deadly Design Make-up Artistry

Feb 15 06 06:51 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ROSHAR

Los Angeles, California, US

Your stuff is ok- But there are a couple I would remove.

Its better to have a couple of great ones than a whole bunch of mediocre ones.
Remember- you are only as good as your worst pic.

Alot of the photos the MU was too shiney as Mandy mentioned. If you intend on them looking "dewey" then the shine should only be on the highlights of the face.
Also be careful with eyebrows- some of them had "tadpole brows" others were drawn too thin.
And alot of the pixs were to blurry to use in a port.
Also try to get better models in your book- alot of the ones made your MU look amaturish.

I will tag in the comments which ones I personally think you should remove.

After ou take those out- you will be left with a couple of your better ones.
Use MM to test and build your book.

You do have some good ones in your book. You are on the right track. Just keep testing and keep learning from each photo you do.

Good Luck!

Feb 15 06 06:58 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ROSHAR

bump

Feb 15 06 07:54 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Dontinelle

New York, New York, US

i took a look at your stuff too, and agree with Roshar and Mandy.  I looked at the ones Ro marked with comments, and added 2 of my own.  A bad expression on the llamas face can often ruin your efforts in the makeup department as well, so if you have a hand in picking the shots you get, go for good expresssions!  i think if you remove the ones we marked, your profile/book will improve a ton, instantly.  try it out to see what we mean (you can always put them back up), you'll notice the overall strength of your work improve immediately!  6 great picks is always better than 6 great picks and 10 amateur looking ones. 

Good luck!!!

Dawn

Feb 15 06 08:22 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Melissa Rachelle

Miami, Florida, US

Thanks to everyone who checked out my work and took time to critique it.  I've only been in the industry about 5 months and I'm working hard at improving my portfolio.  I know it needs alot of work.  I cannot afford to take any classes right now so I'm doing my best to learn as I go.  I refuse to give up a dream or not to pursue my life's goal due to financial hardship.  Thanks again everyone.  You have been very helpful.  And thanks for giving useful advice and not just saying "you suck!"

Thanks Much,
Melissa

Feb 15 06 08:52 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ROSHAR

Well, you dont suck.
Thats why I and Im sure everyone else took thier time to give input.
You dont necessarily need school. Heck, the reason why I got to doing MU as a profession is cause I didnt  need school or moreless its not a requirement to practice.

I am a bit confused though. You reposted  some of the images that all of us said actually hurt your portfolio.

Feb 15 06 09:53 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Melissa Rachelle

Miami, Florida, US

The ones I reposted are different versions that the photographers gave me.  I wanted to know if the other version was better or if I should get rid of them all together.

Feb 15 06 10:44 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Dontinelle

New York, New York, US

i'm confused too!  you took down some of your best shots i.e. the avatar with the skinny blond.  i feel like there were around 3 other stronger shots that you took down too (some the same girl?).  PUT THEM BACK UP NOW, young lady!!!  (and take down the ones we told you too - especially the blurry startled girl).  LOL!  message me if you need more help.  There was a pretty blond with an "up the nose shot".  i liked her face, and the makeup was fine, so that's the one you should look for another shot of, not any of the others.  the main problem with most of the others was the shiny makeup or blury photos, so another shot of them doesn't really help.

Dawn

Feb 16 06 11:53 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Melissa Rachelle

Miami, Florida, US

I'm updating my portfolio later on today that's why some of the photos are missing.  It'll be great if you can check out my port again in a couple of days once I upload some new shots.

Thanks Much,
Melissa

Feb 17 06 01:08 pm Link