Forums > General Industry > Checking references, what do you expect, or give out

Photographer

New York, New York, US

A well worn topic but considering some of the current posts,  maybe it should be taken on again.

Me, I.

I give out my regular e-mail,  my number, name, and numbers of my references upon request for a meeting.

My references are tearsheets that you could go to the library and look up and read my name.

I give out the names and addresses of people that work in an office that you can walk into.  You could walk into these busnesses and say my name and all will say they know me.  I give out numbers of people that can have known me for over 10 years not one photoshoot.  They know me inside and out.

I do not give out private e-mails of models unless I speak to them on each occurance.  I never ever give out the private phone numbers of models that I have worked with,  even if they would say ok.  I just do not think it is right to do so.

I do give out non-main e-mail addresses such as hotmail accounts of models if they have given the okay.  I point people to sites were one can ask directly from models that I have worked with.

I do not give out the names of clients besides showing or pointing you towards tear sheets that can be found at the library.

I have a private jewelry based web site and that is all at the moment.
If you think that I am not serious for I do not have one at the moment, that is your choice.  But not everyone sees the benefit outwaying the hassle of a site.

I show much more images when I meet for a cup of coffee at a public place.  I do like to meet people first.  I can direct you to places where you can see my photo or send you one.

I may post more of how I deal with the issue.

Not sure where I think this conversation to go.  But I see the need for the conversation again.  I am not saying my way is better except that I do feel strongly about requests for models numbers.

Thankyou and be nice on this thread for as long as you can.

I sometimes do not check directly on models but I usually pick ones with good reputations.  I will check ID,  that you are who you say you are.  I am not used to the net world so my thoughts are a work in progress.

Jun 19 05 04:11 pm Link