Forums > General Industry > handicapped (challenged) models?

Wardrobe Stylist

The Dezigner Emporium

Chicago, Illinois, US

Any opinion on this industry? Or is it a realistic industry?

Feb 15 06 01:38 am Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

Struggle Dezign Co wrote:

I would think that it would be a category of commercial modeling.  I have seen adds with handicapped models for all kinds of things.

Feb 15 06 01:50 am Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

There's this :
http://www.gimpsgonewild.com/

Posted by Kitten Fairy MM#20267

Though I don't quite know what to make of it honestly.

Feb 15 06 01:55 am Link

Photographer

Ken Long

MCALLEN, Texas, US

I don't know if it's realistic industry or not, but don't pass them up!  Last year, I photographed a BEAUTIFUL woman who is wheelchair bound due to a car wreck. 

I met her while I was photographing a boxing match that her fiance was in.  She had a beautiful look to her that caught my eye.  She had a great style to her with her fedora pulled down to a side slightly, great makeup, and long flowing blonde hair.  When I asked her, she thought I was crazy because of her being in the wheel chair, but I told her that I was serious, and I somehow talked her into it.  She brought her sister with her to help her change outfits, and we had a GREAT shoot.   I asked her about how she wanted the shots (with or without wheelchair in the shots), and we did a combination of them.  She was an incredible woman not only of beauty, but of inspiration as well. 

Simply put, don't let a "handicap" stop you from photographing a beautiful person.  It could be one of your best shoots of the year, not only from an image view, but also from a personal view as well.

Feb 15 06 01:59 am Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Ken I'd like to see , would you mind posting an image from your shoot?

Feb 15 06 02:01 am Link

Photographer

Ken Long

MCALLEN, Texas, US

I'll post one in my portfolio.  Should be there in just a few minutes.

Feb 15 06 02:05 am Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Great. Thanks. smile

Feb 15 06 02:06 am Link

Model

AmieS

Dallas, Texas, US

I know several models with cerebral paulsey that are awsome and dont let that get them down...smile

Feb 15 06 02:08 am Link

Photographer

Ken Long

MCALLEN, Texas, US

The first two images in my portfolio are of the lady that I was talking about.

Feb 15 06 02:12 am Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

San Diego, California, US

Ken,
That's a great story; you're a good man for seeing the beauty there.
Inspiring.

Feb 15 06 02:45 am Link

Photographer

Lucinda Wedge

Littlerock, California, US

I love you people!  My daughter is 24 and has been in a wheelchair since she was 12 and has modeled for me off and on for years!  She was in a couple of commercials on t.v. (McDonalds and a PBS promo).  There is a market for people who are differently abled.

Feb 15 06 03:00 am Link

Photographer

Ken Long

MCALLEN, Texas, US

Lu wrote:
I love you people!  My daughter is 24 and has been in a wheelchair since she was 12 and has modeled for me off and on for years!  She was in a couple of commercials on t.v. (McDonalds and a PBS promo).  There is a market for people who are differently abled.

Differently abled... Now that I like.  To me that is so much better then challenged.  Do you have an image of your daughter on your page?

Feb 15 06 03:04 am Link

Photographer

Benjamen McGuire

Portland, Oregon, US

Chip Morton wrote:
That's a great story; you're a good man for seeing the beauty there.
Inspiring.

As a disabled person, I can honestly say that is one of the most offensive comments I've ever heard/read.

Standing or sitting in a wheelchair, beautiful is beautiful.

https://www.beautyability.com/7.jpg

Feb 15 06 06:00 pm Link

Photographer

stonescorpion

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I think that beautiful is beautiful, whether a person needs a chair or any other assistive device to be mobile.

People with disabilities have by made invisible by society for way too long, and so many people have preconcieved notions about what person with a disability is SUPPOSED to look like, that changing their ideas is a challenge.

Look here.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=59412

Whenever I go out with this beautiful woman, she gets 2 types of stares.

The first is the kind of stare that comes from people who don't know how to comprehend a person using a wheelchair.  They aren't use to seeing it, so they stare.

The second kind of staring is from people who think she's really hot (and she IS!)  Just like they would stare at any really hot girl that walked on by. 

I've trained myself to tell the difference between the two.  My favorite is when a person is obviously attracted to Chloe, but doesn't know how to deal with attraction to someone with a disability. The confusion on their face is priceless.

I love the cognitive dissonance going on in their head as their pre concieved notions fall apart, and I love knowing as attracted as they are she's only interested in me. 

Chloe is getting more and more in demand for shoots these days.  There is ABSOLUTELY a market for people with disabilities, and not just fetish websites.

Mar 13 06 01:34 am Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Talent, attitude is all that's needed.
Glad you asked though.
the answers here show the the number of idiots in the world are getting smaller and smaller.

There is room in the house for EVERYONE!

Mar 13 06 01:40 am Link

Photographer

Benjamen McGuire

Portland, Oregon, US

Mar 14 06 05:00 pm Link

Photographer

SierraPeaks

Reno, Nevada, US

The physically challenged are real people just like you and me, and should be be treated as such.  I am always inspired by the challenges they overcome on a daily basis.

Commerically it would bring more awareness to the general public, perhaps inspiring us instead of making us feel sorry or uncomfortable.

Mar 18 06 05:40 pm Link

Photographer

Moraxian

Germantown, Maryland, US

I have worked with at least 2 models who are deaf or hearing impaired, some with some disabilities in their hands, and one model who is legally blind (with glasses she can see about 20-70...)

All of the shoots have turned out great and I hope to work with all of the ladies again...

I don't see a handicap/disability as a limitiation at all.  If a model has the look, attitude, poise, ability and drive, they'll be able to be a success.  smile

Mar 19 06 08:24 am Link

Photographer

phcorcoran

Lawrence, Indiana, US

Struggle Dezign Co wrote:

I know a photographer who supplements his income through stock photography for the healthcare industry.  He photographs the elderly, pregnant women, children and handicapped people.  So there is work out there.  I believe that few of his subjects are professional models though. 

Although I don't know of one myself, I would not be surprised if somewhere there is a specialty agency representing models and actors who have visible or non-visible handicaps.  Contacting organizations for the handicapped might be a good way to start searching.

Mar 19 06 10:00 am Link