Forums > General Industry > Survey FOR ALL MODELS here...

Photographer

photomale

Sterling Heights, Michigan, US

who would you rather shoot (a) a photographer who has extensively exhibited his work in galleries OR (b) a photographer whose work has been published in LOCAL, in-state, magazines? Just curious....

Ok, Addendum here.., BOTH photographers have high quality photos.

Feb 13 06 09:45 am Link

Model

Samm

WEST CAMP, New York, US

if not both...magazines

Feb 13 06 09:46 am Link

Model

Ms Sharmaine

Detroit, Michigan, US

I would shot with whoever has the better quality photos

Feb 13 06 09:47 am Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

I am an art model, so the gallery possibility would probably do me more good.  This, however, sounds like a question prompted by an event, which makes me leery of answering.  Is there an agenda motivating this thread?

Feb 13 06 09:57 am Link

Model

Arthur's Town, Cat Island, Bahamas

I surely wouldn't turn down the opportunity with either. It's hard to pick between the two.

Feb 13 06 09:59 am Link

Photographer

photomale

Sterling Heights, Michigan, US

Shyly wrote:
I am an art model, so the gallery possibility would probably do me more good.  This, however, sounds like a question prompted by an ev

Feb 13 06 10:00 am Link

Model

Brandon Smith

San Diego, California, US

Ms Sharmaine wrote:
I would shot with whoever has the better quality photos

This was a great response!

I guess aside from quality it would come down to what photographer I feel is going to better my career.  If the comparison is local magazines that won't necessarily garner a wide interest (ie: the local gazette) vs. well known galleries and widely attended openings then I'd probably take the gallery over the magazine.  But if we're talking published in GQ vs. a Joe Schmoe Gallery O' Fine Art than the magazine would rule. 

I think the question at hand has more variables than you think.

Feb 13 06 10:01 am Link

Model

Arthur's Town, Cat Island, Bahamas

Brandon Smith wrote:

I agree!

Feb 13 06 10:02 am Link

Model

Alice

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Brandon Smith wrote:
I guess aside from quality it would come down to what photographer I feel is going to better my career.

it always depends on where you want your career to go!

Feb 13 06 10:10 am Link

Model

BeccaNDSouth

Olympia, Washington, US

It varies for the model, I would say. If the model is an art model, like Shyly, then I would expect that the photographer who has had his work in galleries would be more appealing.

Also, the local magazine thing varies, as in some states, the local magazines are more upscale and fashion-oriented than others.

I would be more prone to work with the photographer who has the better work, and can help add something to my book that will make the shoot worth doing. If the gallery/art photographer can get me tears and/or paid work, then I would shoot with him. If the photographer that works locally could get me paid work/tears, etc...then I would work with him.

If it is an either/or situation, though, I would honestly shoot with the photographer whose work is hanging in the galleries, because that would be more promising for me.

Feb 13 06 10:33 am Link

Model

Jaycee

Hmmm....... I would go with the art gallery.... Who knows his work might become highly famous or in high demand (very pricey) and then we can both make a lot of money on future projects. :-) But then again I LOVE art museums and would be absolutely ecstatic to see a picture of myself hanging in one!

Feb 13 06 10:41 am Link

Model

Andon

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

Either.  Photographer B might have the potential to get more wide-spread gallery exposure, and Photographer A might be too 'yesterday' and never show again.  Either way, if they've both got great material, I see no qualms in shooting with either one or even both.

Feb 13 06 11:00 am Link

Model

Strawberrii Milk

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

That's a tough decision... both would be good.
If I only get to choose one though... hmm... I'd have to go with letter a!

Feb 13 06 12:02 pm Link

Model

LisaMarie Valencia

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, US

It depends on the quality of images and the type of work, I guess.  However, I would prefer a published photographer.  Magazines are great exposure, but galleries are also great.  So, I guess both.

Feb 13 06 12:06 pm Link

Model

Rachel DellaPorte

Montgomery, New York, US

whoever pays more... LOL

Feb 13 06 12:45 pm Link

Model

Angel Tara

Brandon Smith wrote:
This was a great response!

I guess aside from quality it would come down to what photographer I feel is going to better my career.  If the comparison is local magazines that won't necessarily garner a wide interest (ie: the local gazette) vs. well known galleries and widely attended openings then I'd probably take the gallery over the magazine.  But if we're talking published in GQ vs. a Joe Schmoe Gallery O' Fine Art than the magazine would rule. 

I agree with this answer and also ask the question (to the OP):

What's the purpose of the shoot? Are the pics expected to be published or displayed, or is it for the models portfolio?

If it is to be displayed, well, if you aren't an art model, gaining exposure in that market is probably not very valuable to you. And vice versa.

If the pics are intended for the model's port, I would choose the photographer who shoots the type of content I/we need. Shooting with a published mag photographer isn't likely to produce pics that you can use to sell yourself as an art model.  (Unless the photographer can just switch styles like that.)

Ps. I have a cold and I'm all fuzzyheaded so if I sound stupid, well....wait...there really is no excuse, LOL smile

Feb 13 06 01:23 pm Link

Model

Sarah_Glam_Doll

Philadelphia, Mississippi, US

if i could not be in both.. it would be hard to choose.. i would have to have more info on both first...

glam

Feb 13 06 01:37 pm Link

Photographer

Max V

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Angel, I thought we were gonna shoot just for *FUN!  tongue

Feb 13 06 01:48 pm Link

Model

scarletdiva

Los Angeles, California, US

yea i think its a pointless q.. all depends on the work, and WHICH galleries, and which magazines

Feb 13 06 01:51 pm Link

Photographer

Mann Made Imagery

Lubbock, Texas, US

I would shoot with who ever has the best quality and style that fits me and where I want to go.  If they're published that's great but I've seen some crap photographers published so it doesn't really mean a whole lot to me.  Art galleries are alright, at least it shows they're creative.

Feb 13 06 01:52 pm Link

Model

Angel Tara

Max V wrote:
Angel, I thought we were gonna shoot just for *FUN!  tongue

How about we shoot HAVING fun...like playing poker in the desert? wink Kill two birds with one stone...

haha smile

Feb 13 06 01:53 pm Link

Photographer

Max V

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Angel Tara wrote:

How about we shoot HAVING fun...like playing poker in the desert? wink Kill two birds with one stone...

haha smile

I am a vegeterian, I don't wanna kill any birds... But, we definetly can play poker in the middle of the desert. Music, neon lights, body painting... Energy, energic...
I can even find an *oasis for you with warm spring and palm trees...

Yeah, just bring your butt here.

M.

Feb 13 06 01:59 pm Link