Forums > General Industry > Guilt when this happens???

Model

veester

Portland, Oregon, US

Recently I was asked to participate in a shoot for a salon's book that was non paying (and the models had to pay the photographer for copies of the photos/CD). I was all set to participate but then got a paying gig from a company that would have conflicted with the salon shoot, so I bowed out of it to accpet the paying one. I know this is the nature of the biz, but do others feel a twinge of "guilt" when this happens, or am I being a powderpuff?

Jun 18 05 12:58 pm Link

Model

aye provide

New York, New York, US

Posted by veester: 
Recently I was asked to participate in a shoot for a salon's book that was non paying (and the models had to pay the photographer for copies of the photos/CD). I was all set to participate but then got a paying gig from a company that would have conflicted with the salon shoot, so I bowed out of it to accpet the paying one. I know this is the nature of the biz, but do others feel a twinge of "guilt" when this happens, or am I being a powderpuff?

Reasonable Guilt keeps us human and the ego in check. You sould like a perfectly lovely woman to me

Jun 18 05 01:12 pm Link

Model

veester

Portland, Oregon, US

Thanks, aye provide! smile

Jun 18 05 01:14 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

Posted by veester: 
Recently I was asked to participate in a shoot for a salon's book that was non paying (and the models had to pay the photographer for copies of the photos/CD).

The only "guilt" you should feel is for almost ripping-off YOURSELF by doing a shoot for a salon and not getting paid by them for participating. The salon should be paying the models and the photographer for that.

Jun 18 05 01:16 pm Link

Model

veester

Portland, Oregon, US

Posted by Eric Muss-Barnes: 

Posted by veester: 
Recently I was asked to participate in a shoot for a salon's book that was non paying (and the models had to pay the photographer for copies of the photos/CD).

The only "guilt" you should feel is for almost ripping-off YOURSELF by doing a shoot for a salon and not getting paid by them for participating. The salon should be paying the models and the photographer for that.

LOL! You know, I did consider that as well when making my final decision..if it would have been at least TFP I would have felt a little worse backing out, but the other shoot was a better deal ALL the way around!

Jun 18 05 01:18 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Posted by veester: 

I agree.  My most unpleasant client experiences have been with hair salons.  There's nothing more irritating that a salon that charges customers a fortune expecting a photographer and a gaggle of models to spend a weekend working for them for nothing.  The last time I got caught up in that sort of nonsense I couldn't even get a free haircut out of the deal.  Salons are the worst.

Jun 18 05 01:19 pm Link

Photographer

Aaron_H

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

It was a bad deal to begin with, the idea of doing advertising work and not only not getting paid but having to pay for the photos is a rip-off indeed. If they truly didn't have a budget for models then they should have been bartering with you in free services from the salon, whether that be personal hair work or hair styling tests for you if you were willing to accept the idea. However, for whatever reason, you committed to the gig and once you've committed you should act professionally on principal alone, but especially if you're serious about modeling.

So the real question is how much notice did you give them before cancelling? If you gave them proper notice then there's nothing to even talk about or worry about and they shouldn't be surprised given the the ridiculous terms of the deal. If you left them hanging at the last second then you have a reputation to worry about more than your guilt.

Jun 18 05 01:39 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

Posted by Aaron_H: 
So the real question is how much notice did you give them before cancelling? If you gave them proper notice then there's nothing to even talk about or worry about and they shouldn't be surprised given the the ridiculous terms of the deal. If you left them hanging at the last second then you have a reputation to worry about more than your guilt.

I agree there.

Sure, the salon was a cheap bastard and ripping you off. BUT you did agree to do the shoot. Therefore, you still need to have the courtesy to keep your word to particiapte. When you DO cancel, have the respect and decency to do so as far in advance as possible.

Jun 18 05 02:00 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Most people expect that you will take a paid job over a free one but you have to make it clear at the time of booking what the deal is.  When I am doing a favor for someone and working for free or next to nothing (it's rare but there are times I will do it)  I always state up front...."I will do this but you need to know that should a full rate job come up on the date of your shoot I will take it and you may only get 24 hours notice"  People can then say "ok I will take the chance" or they can find someone who will do it no matter what comes  up.  When the shoot is taking place in 24 hours or less there may be no time to find a replacement so I will not back out unless I can find a suitable replacement myself. 

Jun 18 05 02:07 pm Link

Model

veester

Portland, Oregon, US

Posted by Aaron_H: 
It was a bad deal to begin with, the idea of doing advertising work and not only not getting paid but having to pay for the photos is a rip-off indeed. If they truly didn't have a budget for models then they should have been bartering with you in free services from the salon, whether that be personal hair work or hair styling tests for you if you were willing to accept the idea. However, for whatever reason, you committed to the gig and once you've committed you should act professionally on principal alone, but especially if you're serious about modeling.

Oh. definately. I gave them 24 hours notice as soon as the paid shoot was confirmed. Would have been earlier if I had known for sure. No matter what the job is, If I agreed to do it I will act professionally in my dealings with them. This is also the first time I have cancelled on anyone.

Jun 18 05 02:26 pm Link

Model

veester

Portland, Oregon, US

Posted by Mary: 
Most people expect that you will take a paid job over a free one but you have to make it clear at the time of booking what the deal is.  When I am doing a favor for someone and working for free or next to nothing (it's rare but there are times I will do it)  I always state up front...."I will do this but you need to know that should a full rate job come up on the date of your shoot I will take it and you may only get 24 hours notice"  People can then say "ok I will take the chance" or they can find someone who will do it no matter what comes  up.  When the shoot is taking place in 24 hours or less there may be no time to find a replacement so I will not back out unless I can find a suitable replacement myself.   

Mary, yes, that will definately be stipulated in the future. Then..there will be no hard feelings if this should ever be the case again. Don't intend on making this type of thing a habit, though. This is the first time for me!

Jun 18 05 02:33 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Ruder

Tucson, Arizona, US

I see nothing wrong with the way you handled it.  I think you were professional and gave them at least 24 hr notice.  If they were professional, they should have understood your situation.  I don't think you should feel guilty for how you handled it.

Jun 18 05 09:46 pm Link

Photographer

Herb Way

Black Mountain, North Carolina, US

Posted by Melvin Moten Jr: 

Posted by veester: 

I agree.  My most unpleasant client experiences have been with hair salons.  There's nothing more irritating that a salon that charges customers a fortune expecting a photographer and a gaggle of models to spend a weekend working for them for nothing.  The last time I got caught up in that sort of nonsense I couldn't even get a free haircut out of the deal.  Salons are the worst.

I totally agree.  Most salon proprietors seem to think that they're doing both models and photographers some great favor by allowing them to work for nothing.  It's great that a paying gig gave you a reason to bow out.

Jun 19 05 12:32 am Link

Model

Los Angeles, California, US

Posted by Mary: 

Couldn't have said it better myself smile But I also agree with Veester, I feel guilty sad enough that I've stuck to the nonpaying gig and given up a great opportunity (or just a chance to help pay the bills wink If you can, it's nice to refer someone to take your place. For example, I have a photo shoot that the wardrobe stylist canceled less than 12 hours from the shoot! ... that said, everyone (models, photographers, mua, etc.) has to choose between opportunities - pay isn't always the qualifer

Jun 19 05 01:50 am Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

I don't think you should feel guilty about it. You took a gig that paid you over one that would have cost you.
I actually had a modeling promo company basically black-list me from working with their models because I had said I was intereted in going to one of their shootouts at the tune of $100, then a week before the event (and before reserving my spot) I emailed them and told them I had a paying job for that date that I was going to take it.
They had told me from the beginning that they would not hold a spot without full payment, and I hadn't sent the payment so I have no idea what their malfunction was...

Jun 19 05 03:46 am Link