Forums > General Industry > Not showing pictures before they're done.

Photographer

Tony Sharp Chicago

Chicago, Illinois, US

For the last 7 years I've been doing photoshoots, I've followed the same process.

1) I do the photoshoot.
2) I pick 20-whatever shots to polish (touch up, add FX to, etc).
3) I send those polished shots to the model, along with all the shots I didn't work on, a week after the shoot.
4) If she/he likes a picture I didn't work on, I'll fix it up for her/him and add it to the portfolio.

I take kind of an artist's approach to doing pictures. I prefer showing the model all of the pictures after I'm done working on them. I believe seeing an unfinished piece takes away from the impact of seeing the finished piece.

Does this sound crazy or unreasonable to you? Would you have a problem with waiting a week before seeing your pictures?

Jun 18 05 12:17 am Link

Photographer

Tony Sharp Chicago

Chicago, Illinois, US

Darn it!

Could someone please move this thread to General Discussion? sad

Jun 18 05 12:23 am Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

I do pretty much the same thing with the exception of those models willing ot walk the line between what they will shoot and what they won't. Then I dump the cards to my laptop and format the cards with the model watching. Then we review every shot for accidental exposure that the model doesn't want and if we find any the image is permanently deleted from my hard-drive, the images are sequentially renumbered with the shoot date and a reference CD is burned for my archive.
If the model wishes, I will go through the shoot with her to pick out the best shots together, which are then retouched and burnt to CD for her in web- and print-size. Or if the model wants to leave the whole thing in my hands, then I review the images, pick 2-4 of each look and get them print- and web-ready. Then the originals are resized to 800 pixels on the ling side and marked as proofs across the center and burnt to CD along with the finished images. This way the model has the option to call me back and say "Can you do image ### for me?" and I can do that. If they request me doing that for more than 2-3 images then I charge them for my time.

Jun 18 05 12:56 am Link

Photographer

Tony Sharp Chicago

Chicago, Illinois, US

Oh I see now. I asked that question because a model I worked with recently got kind of annoyed with me because I asked her to wait a week before seeing the pictures. I wanted to photoshop and touch up the best ones first. We did take a few risque shots. She is probably worried about slips, etc, and so on. To make her and I both happy, I'll just work faster than usual so she can get the pictures sooner.

Jun 18 05 08:50 am Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

What kills me are photographers who post shots from paid shoots taken that very day before they even deliver to their client.  Talk about scooping yourself.  I don't post shots that I intend on submitting to magazine to preserve their value.  Additionally I don't post assignment work until it appears in print.  It seems only logical, yet I find photographers who think the value in posting is greater than the value of servicing their client.

Jun 18 05 08:57 am Link

Photographer

Tony Sharp Chicago

Chicago, Illinois, US

Posted by Dan Howell: 
What kills me are photographers who post shots from paid shoots taken that very day before they even deliver to their client.  Talk about scooping yourself.  I don't post shots that I intend on submitting to magazine to preserve their value.  Additionally I don't post assignment work until it appears in print.  It seems only logical, yet I find photographers who think the value in posting is greater than the value of servicing their client. 

I agree. I usually see the pictures first, and the model is ALWAYS the next person to see the pictures. After he/she approves of the pictures, then we'll talk about where to take them next.

Jun 18 05 09:35 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Posted by Dan Howell: 

I see models do that too.  If you're submitting something for print and you post it on your website or OMP or some such before it's gone to print, you've usually damned yourself. Especially if you call it a tearsheet long before it's in print. Eek.

Jun 18 05 10:30 am Link

Photographer

Photochick1968

Tampa, Florida, US

I tell the models up front that I use a film camera and it will be at least a week, week and half before their photos are ready. It gives me a chance to edit them. I do send some pics thru an e-mail to them just as a curtesy when I am done editing a few of them.

Everyone has their own way of handing this. As long as your up front with the models and you let them know before the shoot, then they know what to expect.

Jun 18 05 11:54 am Link

Model

Aurora Bellare

Newport News, Virginia, US

I don't mind not seeing the photos before they're done.  If I do, it takes all the excitement away from me.  I get both touched-up and un touched-up photos on my CDs, and use both in my portfolio.  I don't care if my knobby knees are showing, we've all got some physical flaw or other, nothing to be ashamed about smile

Jun 18 05 01:49 pm Link

Photographer

vanscottie

Winnetka, California, US

If a model wants to see the unedited shots she's more than welcome to watch the card download onto my computer and we'll run a slideshow of everything. But that's all! She is not getting emails or CDs of unedited pics. I'm glad some of you trust your models. I've trusted three of mine with unedited pics and they were posted the next day with my name attached looking like a half molded pieces of clay, never again!

Jun 19 05 03:18 am Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

I'll agree with you on that. Even when I was shooting events for Sonik magazine just for tear sheets I wouldn't post any images until 1 month after the magazine was published.
It seems common sense to me... but then we all know common sense really isn't!

Posted by Dan Howell: 

Jun 19 05 03:38 am Link

Photographer

SML photography

San Diego, California, US

When i shoot with a model i shoot in Raw and small, run the images through a batch process in photoshop that says.  2005 ©smlphotography.com  PROOF IMAGE watermarked across the image.  she walks away with a proofing cd to pic her 15-20 images she likes then i work on them for her (him). but this way if that "sneaky" model (LOL)wants to post them untouched anyway, it will say proof then i don't look like a shumck that can't adjust my photos.
cheers
scott

Jun 21 05 08:55 am Link

Photographer

Robbie Wolf Photography

Phoenix, Arizona, US

The nice thing about not bringing a laptop to a shoot is having one less thing to worry about getting left behind/broken/stolen/etc. Even when I do have one, I don't burn a CD of all the unedited images. I'll let my client see their photos on the camera or laptop if I have it but I don't batch the proofs until I get back home.

That's what websites are for. After I batch the proofs and  watermark them, I upload them to a separate website folder and send the link in email so they can pick out which ones they like the best.

Before I batch them I always take out the obviously bad shots and quickly adjust the levels and color on the rest in case they do get posted somewhere.

I'm pretty picky about what I post on my own website. I'm not releasing a CD of raw images to anyone. If that keeps me from getting more shoots, too bad. I have a quick 1-2 day turnaround and that should be good enough. If it isn't late the first night, I'll usually have them batched and online before midnight. If I'm tired out, I'll do it the next day.

Jun 21 05 09:45 pm Link