Forums > General Industry > Studio or Location?

Photographer

JT Hodges

Austin, Texas, US

This is for models as well as photographers.

Do you prefer to shoot on location (not necessarily outside), or in studio?

I prefer to shoot on location. My favorite is studio lighting shot on location. The newness of a location seems to spark my creative interest.

Feb 11 06 06:42 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

I prefer to shoot in the studio or on location.  The operative word is shoot.  I make my living with a camera because I enjoy it.

I find both venues to present different challenges which is what makes this all interesting.

Feb 11 06 06:52 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

I shoot studio when I "have to"... but prefer location anytime!

Feb 11 06 06:54 pm Link

Model

Jessica Loren

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Well...what temperature is it???

Just kidding but I like both. Outdoors is OK but when it get's under 40 degrees...a red runny nose just isn't attractive!LOL

Feb 11 06 06:55 pm Link

Photographer

DANACOLE

Oslo, Oslo, Norway

I like either or. Just really depends on the theme and attire of shoot.. ALso depends on the weather lol. but usually nice here in Texas

Feb 11 06 06:56 pm Link

Photographer

commart

Hagerstown, Maryland, US

Outdoors is OK but when it get's under 40 degrees...a red runny nose just isn't attractive!LOL

It can be.  The common humanity can be indearing.  In fact, I recall seeing in a Barbour clothing catalog a girl hunkered down with a fishing pole in the grass by a river and wiping her nose on her sleeve--a just good, basic, unpretentious (highly pretentious) country clothing kind of moment.

I'd like to apply more studio control in exteriors, but my first guidance is to match style to season and weather (i.e., not shoot fall wear on a 90-degree day in late September).  Locations offer atmosphere and charm.  Anyone want to shoot outdoors? Send mail.

Feb 11 06 07:02 pm Link

Photographer

JT Hodges

Austin, Texas, US

Jessica L wrote:
Well...what temperature is it???

Just kidding but I like both. Outdoors is OK but when it get's under 40 degrees...a red runny nose just isn't attractive!LOL

Well being in Texas...working in a temperature controlled environment is usually preferred.

Not to mention staying away from allergens.

Feb 11 06 08:20 pm Link

Model

Los Angeles, California, US

It depends...

There are some shots that are better in a studio because it's a controlled environment, sometimes it's "a designed location"...

But most of the time I prefer shooting on location

In fact I've been scouting some out that I would love to shoot at here in LA, so if anyone is reading this and is interested, send me an email smile

Feb 11 06 08:24 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

JT Hodges wrote:
Do you prefer to shoot on location (not necessarily outside), or in studio?

Yes. smile

Some things are best (or are only practical) in the studio, and I enjoy those. Some things are best (or are only practical) on location, and I enjoy those as well.

If I've been doing a lot of studio work, I'll try to get some location work next. If I've been doing a lot of location work, I'll try to get some studio work next.

Feb 12 06 12:36 am Link

Photographer

Samurai B

Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

Well, due to a distinct lack of studio, I have to improvise on/and with my locations. I personally prefer to shoot on location as it gives the model and I more scope to ad-lib if needed, rather than being in the sterile environment I find most studios to be. Don't get me wrong, studio work is ok and definately has it's place, but I feel pretty limited with what I can do.

Besides, once you've seen somebody fall through the backdrop and wreck £300 of equipment (not on any of my shoots, I hasten to add), it's [retty hard to take shots from laughing so hard...

SB

Feb 12 06 04:00 am Link

Photographer

Zunaphoto

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

I find parallels in recording music...Don't like live, so...

Feb 12 06 09:14 am Link

Photographer

Adrenalin Concepts

Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

Location location location... those real estate guys got it figured out!!! there are many things that need a studio but I would everything on location if I could, indoors or out as long as its on location!!!

ok going out to play in the snow, bikini clad model no less smile

Feb 12 06 09:18 am Link

Photographer

bobby sargent

Deming, New Mexico, US

I am  more comfortable out on location.  I just do not have enough experience in the studio to be completely comfortable.  But I am learning to like the studio when I need to shoot there.  bs

Feb 12 06 11:31 am Link