Forums > General Industry > How to ask for critiques? Is it rude to...

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

Is it rude (or considered SPAM) to contact people who have given good critiques to others and ask for advice?  I have tried many times to request advice through the critique forum but have never been able to get a response. So, I was thinking that maybe I would look around to see who gave good advice to others and just PM them and ask them specific questions. - However, I have a feeling that the critique forum was set up to dissuade people from doing that.

Feb 11 06 05:20 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

San Diego, California, US

I would say it is not spam if it is directed. I mean, you are not going to be sending out blanket messages. As for rude... no, I don't see it that way. If someone dooes not want to reply, then they won't. So don't do follow-up messages to make sure they read the first.

Feb 11 06 05:24 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

Mikel Featherston wrote:
I would say it is not spam if it is directed. I mean, you are not going to be sending out blanket messages. As for rude... no, I don't see it that way. If someone dooes not want to reply, then they won't. So don't do follow-up messages to make sure they read the first.

No. I never send followup messages.  If someone does not respond to my message, then I assume that they do not want to be contacted by me any further on the subject.

Feb 11 06 05:38 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I encourage people to seek out those whose opinions they respect for critiques.  As long as you're not emailing a ton of people with the same question, it's fine.

Feb 11 06 05:42 pm Link

Photographer

commart

Hagerstown, Maryland, US

Here and elsewhere I've been asked to comment privately on photography or fiction and have been generally amenable.

Feb 11 06 06:55 pm Link

Photographer

AllenA

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

My critiques are better then my photography.....

If anyone asked (and three have...) then I'll PM a detailed critique, and 'TAG' a pic or two in a positve, but less detailed way.

Try it. You'll find that your request is usually treated as an honour.

-Allen

Feb 12 06 06:33 am Link