Forums > General Industry > Exposure - Advertising or Comp Cards?

Photographer

nick latino

Tucson, Arizona, US

I know this subject has been talked about in the past, but I didn't see anything on different things that have been tried.

I am trying to establish myself as a photographer and live in an area which has a great deal of "out of the home" studios.  Most of the businesses last only a few years because it is such a small area, located about 20 miles from Palm Springs California.  There are the traditional photographers and a small growing number of us who are trying to get into photography as a profession. 

Because I do not have a business license yet, I can not advertise in the paper or telephone book, and I want to increase my exposure to the community.

I have done a photography display at the local community college, which gave me no real exposure to the public because the local paper would not cover the event.  I have spoken to local coffee shops about displaying my work, but because they do contain some nudity I can not get any one to assist me with a coffee shop show.  I have tried to get involved with the local art community, but again since my photos don't cover the rocks and cactus in the area they are too erotic for them to allow me into the group.

So what things have you done to gain exposure for your work on a local level which have allowed you to gain exposure.  Just for the record I know hard work and keep going out and knocking on doors, pounding the street, and taking more photos is the only way to really gain any meaningful exposure.  I have gone around to the local dress shops to pass out fliers and business cards, which does not hold much promise.

Jun 17 05 02:25 pm Link

Model

Carlie Lawson

Longtown, Oklahoma, US

Hi Mr. Latino,

This is probably going sound dorky, but I just looked at your portfolio and none of your pictures here contain nudity, so why show your nude photos to the coffee shop owners and the art group there? Only offer them the ones you're pretty sure they'd show in the first place. What they don't know you shoot in private, won't hurt them. And it's not really likely that the bulk of your day-to-day business as a photographer would be of people wanting nude photos of themselves. Most of the full-time photogs I know make their bread and butter shooting either commercial work or weddings and graduation photos. It might sound boring, but it pays the bills. (Yes, I know, it's not very artistic, but it would probably work.)

Best of luck to you! I hope you have success with your business.

Chrissie

Jun 17 05 11:19 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

Do you have any galleries at all. Maybe ones that don't traditionally display photographs, but might be open to a small exhibit for a weekend, where you could do the promotion to friends and friends of friends?

At least if it's a gallerie, you're dealing with a person or persons who have an artistic asthetic.

John

Jun 18 05 01:00 am Link

Photographer

nick latino

Tucson, Arizona, US

Your right most of my photos don't contain any nudity at all and only some of the one I really enjoy showing do have breasts and nipples, nothing too erotic.  I wish I had a gallery in my area to work with, but the ones in Palm Springs are pretty much locked into their own thing or established artist they already know.

It's been difficult, but I know in the long run it will be worth all the hard work.

Jun 18 05 02:55 am Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

networking and promotions

Jun 18 05 05:24 am Link