Forums > General Industry > What's the Dealie???

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

Okay.  MM is obviously a melting pot of artists, be them models or photographers or stylists.  However. . .it is quite evident that the models and photographers run the show around here. 

I see several posts in Casting Calls for stylists and MUA's but. . .I don't see any replies.  Where are all the stylists????  Where are all the MUA's????  Have they vanished into some black hole or secret parallel universe??  WTH?!?

Feb 10 06 08:29 am Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

The replies should go directly to the person posting. Not to the casting call.

Feb 10 06 08:29 am Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

Ok. . .I still see an absence of stylists/MUA's even posting "I'm available" in the Casting Call forum.  I haven't seen too many responses from stylists in other forums either, not even to general topics of discussion. 

I gotta wonder just how many stylists are on here.  For example, there are only 4 in Missouri (when you do a browse search).  Do stylists just think they are above our discussion topics??  Do they find us boring???  Hmmm.

Feb 10 06 08:35 am Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Jayne Jones wrote:
Okay.  MM is obviously a melting pot of artists, be them models or photographers or stylists.  However. . .it is quite evident that the models and photographers run the show around here. 

I see several posts in Casting Calls for stylists and MUA's but. . .I don't see any replies.  Where are all the stylists????  Where are all the MUA's????  Have they vanished into some black hole or secret parallel universe??  WTH?!?

we are all over on the stylists new forum (look at the MM menu) .  I rarely venture over here anymore...too meny threads about chaperones, nudity, fetish modeling etc...that doesnt interest most artists and stylists.

Feb 10 06 10:13 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

DawnElizabeth Moderator wrote:
The replies should go directly to the person posting. Not to the casting call.

If responding to a casting call then I think it is wise to post to both the casting call and email.
But definitely a email for the castings do go fast.   They are searchable now.

Searching castings, not easy but can be done.
https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=29067

Many of the castings are for free shoots and stylists,  Makeup artists, and hairstylist often have a different need for shoots.   Also many people are willing to work for free with good people but do not like to announce it to all for then everyone will think they always work for free.

I had someone get very upset with me in the past when I let it be known they worked on a free shoot.   So that is part of it.

Feb 10 06 10:51 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

Jayne Jones wrote:
Ok. . .I still see an absence of stylists/MUA's even posting "I'm available" in the Casting Call forum.  I haven't seen too many responses from stylists in other forums either, not even to general topics of discussion. 

I gotta wonder just how many stylists are on here.  For example, there are only 4 in Missouri (when you do a browse search).  Do stylists just think they are above our discussion topics??  Do they find us boring???  Hmmm.

A good portion of the photography and modeling on this site does not use or need the stylists,  makeup artists or hair stylists.   It is either not needed or the model does it themselves.
Many of the models and photographers on sites like this are not offering pay.   I do not think there are as many stylists as there are photographers in general so those that do it well are usually busy working or working with agencies.

This is not a blanket statement but it is some of the reasons why the numbers are low.

For many being a stylist is not considered glamourous.   Especially in the world of the web.

Feb 10 06 10:56 am Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

well i have replied to several casting calls and never gotten a responce if you want some one to work with e-mail that person directly. We are all overthe Stylist forum and i know i hardly go any where eles. smile all most all of the threads started on that page are from the stylist and make-up artists, if you need help finding someone just click on "browse" enter your who what and wheres and vwahhlaa you have a whole page of style people.

Feb 10 06 11:08 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

There are just 1,370 hair stylists, MUAs, and wardrobe stylists on MM.  That's across all of them.  Over the entire world.

There are more than 100,000 profiles on MM.  Granted, many of them are inactive, but if even half of those profiles are active, that means photographers and models represent about 97.3% of all MM members.

(As of 2/10/06)

1005 MUAs:
https://modelmayhem.com/results.php?gro … mit=Search

185 Hair Stylists:

380 Wardrobe Stylists:

Feb 10 06 11:27 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

Deadly Design Make-up wrote:
well i have replied to several casting calls and never gotten a responce if you want some one to work with e-mail that person directly. We are all overthe Stylist forum and i know i hardly go any where eles. smile all most all of the threads started on that page are from the stylist and make-up artists, if you need help finding someone just click on "browse" enter your who what and wheres and vwahhlaa you have a whole page of style people.

Well said.

Feb 10 06 11:30 am Link