Forums > General Industry > A BIG name over image !

Photographer

Raven Photography

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

I seem to be the only one with a big name over my images and clearly the name could be cloned off of those images on a couple of those photos.

Do you people have watermarks on your images or something ?

Although I have read the post about anti theft of your images and watermarks can be undone and everything else people have possibly thought of can be undone.

Aren't you people concerned about people stealing and using your hard work ?

Mark

Feb 09 06 08:21 pm Link

Photographer

DeBoer Photography

Melbourne, Florida, US

Feb 09 06 08:31 pm Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

Previous threads that have discussed this topic:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/search.php? … mit=Search

Feb 09 06 08:34 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

My main hope is that someone steals one of my photos and uses it in a major campaign.  The settlement from the lawsuit is going to be much greater than what I could have gotten on my own...

wink

Feb 09 06 08:39 pm Link

Photographer

Raven Photography

DeBoer Photography wrote:
Exactly what are people stealing your images for?

General rule is this...

Do not post any images online if you do not want someone stealing them.  Post only images that you know will most likely be stolen...and you can accept that loss.

It does not make stealing right, but it is a fact of the internet.  If you find that people are stealing your images, it is probably a worthwhile investment to officially copyright the images you take.

You can then have additional legal proof of ownership when suing the offender(s) for a copyright violation.  Note, however, that most of those who violate are trash and have nothing you could really claim against them...and in the end, you end up spending more in legal fees than you can get even when a judgement goes your way.

Moral of the story?  None, cept don' post what you can't afford to lose.

- Denoy

Yes Denoy I am coming to the realization that clearly you have to take a risk putting images on the internet with the risk of them being stolen but just not putting ALL my best images online.

Accepting a loss factor as you have said.

Yes I have considered the cost of legal fee's in claiming copyright infringement against another and in some cases it wouldn't be worth it.

And yes I am going to get my images officially registered with the Copyright Council of my state.

I appreciate your input.

Feb 09 06 08:44 pm Link

Photographer

Raven Photography

kickfight wrote:
Previous threads that have discussed this topic:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/search.php? … mit=Search

Thanks for the thread kickfight.

Feb 09 06 08:45 pm Link

Photographer

Raven Photography

Brian Diaz wrote:
My main hope is that someone steals one of my photos and uses it in a major campaign.  The settlement from the lawsuit is going to be much greater than what I could have gotten on my own...

wink

LMAO !!  Brian.

Yes I have thought of this too. Someone steals my image for a major use I sue their butts off and make more money then I would have in licensing out my images or even selling them.

Feb 09 06 08:48 pm Link

Photographer

DeBoer Photography

Melbourne, Florida, US

Feb 09 06 10:02 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

DeBoer Photography wrote:

It is a hope, Brian, but you know that those who run a major campaign will also have funds to hire the photographer to produce the necessary images...

smile

HA,  HA,  maybe you would be surprised.   But it happens all too often.

Feb 09 06 11:05 pm Link

Photographer

Morton Visuals

Hope, Idaho, US

I've said it before, but I'll say it again... If it keeps pics of one of "my" models from appearing in another 1-900 ad, it's worth it. In my situation, I was advised that it wasn't worth trying to sue in that case. IF I had gotten a court order to get the advertiser's name (the Weekly wouldn't voluntarily give it), they would simply close and reopen under another ficticious name. Lawyers said I'd most likely never get anything for it. Legal remedies work for legit companies with reputations, but not in every situation. F'ck 'em, let 'em find someone else's images that won't need to have a watermark/logo removed or retouched.

Wm

Feb 09 06 11:13 pm Link

Photographer

DeBoer Photography

Melbourne, Florida, US

Feb 09 06 11:16 pm Link

Photographer

Brandon Ching

Brooklyn, New York, US

I can see the creative directors sitting at the table, brainstorming......

"Got any ideas?"

"No"

"Let's head on over to MM to get some ideas.. hell, instead of borrowing the images and hiring a photog, let's just right click and save the actual photos! I'm sure those web edits will look great blown up to billboard size."

Feb 11 06 08:42 am Link

Photographer

Raven Photography

Actually the idea of a photograph isn't copyrighted only the photograph itself. Anyone can go hire a model and find a location to produce similar results. And this I don't mind.

(This however doesn't include images that have really unique individual idea's that people can copy,  in this case if the image has a unique idea I won't put it on the internet to begin with just my portfolio)

But if I find someone using my image claiming it to be theirs I have my model release form to prove that I own copyright not to mention all the other photos I took from the photo shoot. Plus the images being legally registered with the Copyright Council I will either give them a warning to take my image off their internet site or if they have made money from it and are claiming the image to be theirs I'm taking them to court.

Feb 11 06 10:07 pm Link