Forums > General Industry > ProScout.... yes or no???

Model

No longer a membee

Dallas, Texas, US

Has anyone tried this. i got accepted to go. They bring over 35 of the worlds top agents to the events. the event costs $645. Its a legit thing. They arnt lying but do you think that i would waste my money? has anyone tried?

Feb 09 06 07:11 pm Link

Model

Katie M

i got accepted to go too, but i've already done the model search america thing, and this seems to be like it all over again.. sure there's going to be agencies there and whatnot, but i'm not too sure it's worth that much money. just use your best judgment on whether you'd like to spend that much money for maybe a few minutes of exposure. if you do go, make sure you have a portfolio, which i'm guessing you do. the thing that sells them most in a big conference like that is your personality. so good luck if you end up going!!
take care,
Katie

Feb 09 06 07:19 pm Link

Model

Los Angeles, California, US

I think you're better off attending open calls at commercial agencies in your area

Feb 09 06 07:24 pm Link

Photographer

JT Hodges

Austin, Texas, US

No...spend the money on books, and some work from a photographer whose work you admire.

Edit:
Not saying your work is bad (I haven't looked yet), just in general.

Feb 09 06 07:24 pm Link

Model

Muse Me

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

I agree!  Don't do it!

Feb 09 06 07:25 pm Link

Model

Angelus

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Leave the model searches ALONE!!.

IF (and this is a big if) any "real" agents show up. They are not really looking to scout models. They're n it for the vacation...not for new talent. Again....IF they actually show up.

Read my postis under "MSA SCAM?" for detailed reasons why.

If you want to meet agents, then go directly to their offices. It's not as hard as some make it seem.

These are all related forums...(there are more) about MSA and model searches in general.

https://modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=28524
https://modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=20749
https://modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=21559

Feb 09 06 07:28 pm Link

Model

Sarah Danielle

Huntington Beach, California, US

JT Hodges wrote:
No...spend the money on books, and some work from a photographer whose work you admire.

Edit:
Not saying your work is bad (I haven't looked yet), just in general.

Yeah thanks thats a really good idea, i do live in Orange County, im sure i can find an agent by myself....

Feb 09 06 07:37 pm Link

Model

Amy Harber

Chicago, Illinois, US

In a word: no

want another word? scam

Feb 09 06 07:41 pm Link

Model

Sabina N

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I attended a ProScout event several years ago, and unless things have really changed, it's not an actual scam. They do deliver what they claim; the agents come and look at each person for approximately 45 seconds total, and unless you receive a callback, that's all the time you really have to interact with them.

You also get several guest speakers who give useful industry information and all, but you can get as much off these forums, with some retiecence, of course, and a site like modelresource.com

So in terms of whether it's worth the money - no; no way. You live in California - you're so lucky! You have several sizeable agencies with a state's reach, and visiting their websites and e-mailing your shots is a cheaper way to determine which ones may be worth traveling to.

I only wish there was as much around here, but Victoria's got practically nuttin' in terms of a good agent, and Vancouver has a few...

ProScout *may* be the way to go for someone who lives so out of the way, they could never likely travel to an open call... and doesn't mind spending $600 to potentially get a word in to a real live agent.

Sonntag

Feb 09 06 07:55 pm Link

Model

No longer a membee

Dallas, Texas, US

Feb 09 06 08:56 pm Link

Model

No longer a membee

Dallas, Texas, US

Thanks all... i decided not to go

Feb 09 06 08:56 pm Link

Photographer