Forums > General Industry > Plus Size Models and the confusion

Photographer

DANACOLE

Oslo, Oslo, Norway

ok, and I hope I don't step on any toes with this post but alot of models really do not understand the requirements to consider yourself a plus size model.

Now correct me if I'm wrong but to be considered a plus size model you need to still be fit,curvy,toned, and ht and wt porportionate to a point correct?? and usually between a size 10-16 or 18 correct??
I think of Lane Bryant models when I think of plus-size....
NOT monique, or star jones(before the weight loss)type figures.

Im seeing alot of bigger models popping up all over the place in sizes over 18 and so forth and not in good shape trying to fit into the plus size category. Do they fit the mold?
Am I wrong when they ask me to be truthful that they are not in the right shape and criteria to model for plus size things such as Lane Bryant and so forth???

Just want others opinions.....

Feb 09 06 04:06 pm Link

Model

KatieK

Lawrence, Kansas, US

I'm not an expert by any means, but what you're saying sounds correct.  One of my friends is a plus-size model and she is still ht/wt proportionate and works out to maintain tone and shape.  I don't think you're being mean.  Part of being a model is taking care of yourself and your body.

Feb 09 06 04:17 pm Link

Model

Prin S lea

Waynesboro, Virginia, US

I am a plus-size model,my measurements fit the requirements....I could do "lane Bryant" ads.

BUT!!!!!  There are women out there that are size 20+, And fashion magazines need women that size to advertise there clothes that are made for these size women!!!!

I DON"T CARE HOW LARGE YOU ARE,if your a plus size THEN YOUR A PLUS-SIZE MODEL ,don't discriminate.....

Much luv for my curvy women *KISSES*

Feb 09 06 05:07 pm Link

Model

Prin S lea

Waynesboro, Virginia, US

KatieK wrote:
to maintain tone and shape.  I don't think you're being mean.  Part of being a model is taking care of yourself and your body.

By the way,i am not a thick women because of OVEREATING or being lazy....I have a medical condition that keeps me from being a average small frame women....i workout and cannot eat sugar or sweets .....I do take care of myself the best i can...

Feb 09 06 05:11 pm Link

Model

Sascha

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

I don't think the OP was discriminating... I think he's referring to those plus-size model wannabes that we see very often on free sites as MM who is, yea, plus-size, but say, their waist sizes are bigger than their breast/hips sizes... or, perhaps they have the right proportion/height for a plus-size but they are simply not attractive (plus sized models still need to be attractive, have a pretty face, etc...) .  So, I do agree with the OP that many of these wannabes need a wakeup call... not just plus-sized models, but newbies wanting to get in to any category of modeling.

Feb 09 06 05:13 pm Link

Model

JessicaMK

South Bend, Indiana, US

Thank you so much for posting this! Ive had a few photographers tell me that I cant be a plus size model because Im too small, but im a size 10-12!  I think some people dont understand the true idea of a plus size model...i believe that any woman over size 10, whose beautiful and size proportionate fits the mold.

Feb 09 06 05:18 pm Link

Photographer

Jason Fassnacht

Sacramento, California, US

Greetings....

If you really want the "skinny" on Plus Size Modeling ??? Check out Shyly's works here on MM (# 2809).  Then throw anything you got her way....the only things that are bigger than her energy, talent & drive are her insights, compassion & heart.

But I gotta warn ya....she's an extremely gifted photographer (one of her images was just personally choosen by Tera Banks to represent "Cali" in her new PlusSize Modeling contest), way wicked dancer, professional journalist & acitvist.....so please don't think she's a one trick pony.... smile

(She's one of my closest friends & most dedicated pupils, so I'm speaking from first hand experiences here.)

peace ~

J.

Feb 09 06 05:24 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

Prin S lea wrote:
I am a plus-size model,my measurements fit the requirements....

Man.... You'd do great in the urban market...

Whew!!

Feb 09 06 05:24 pm Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

Yes, within the modeling industry, "plus size" refers to something very specific.  Usually, that means the model is between 5'8-5'11, and a size ten to eighteen.  Pretty, in a wholesome way.  (The mainstream plus industry is extremely conservative.)  Fit, toned, proportionate.  People like Emme, Mia Tyler, and Barbara Brickner are examples of very successful plus size models.

There's a whole other thing that you find on sites like these, and that takes a couple of forms.  One is models who do regular catalog work for boutique designers like Peggy Lutz or Big on Batik.  The boutique designers are increasingly interested in using models who represent the demographic they are selling to, and so will use models who are a size sixteen up to, say a twenty eight.

Then there are art models like me, who are short and round and fit no one's requirements, but manage to work quite regularly, because our goals are different.  Photographs of me are hanging in galleries, are included in coffee table art photography books, and are sold as prints to collectors.  It is respectable work.  It's just not mainstream commercial.

I am quite successful at what I do, and I notice more and more models leaning toward the same kind of career, which I applaud.  We don't need a wake up call, we know what we're doing.  Hooray for finding a niche that works!  smile

Feb 09 06 05:25 pm Link

Model

KatieK

Lawrence, Kansas, US

Shyly wrote:
Yes, within the modeling industry, "plus size" refers to something very specific.  Usually, that means the model is between 5'8-5'11, and a size ten to eighteen.  Pretty, in a wholesome way.  (The mainstream plus industry is extremely conservative.)  Fit, toned, proportionate.  People like Emme, Mia Tyler, and Barbara Brickner are examples of very successful plus size models.

There's a whole other thing that you find on sites like these, and that takes a couple of forms.  One is models who do regular catalog work for boutique designers like Peggy Lutz or Big on Batik.  The boutique designers are increasingly interested in using models who represent the demographic they are selling to, and so will use models who are a size sixteen up to, say a twenty eight.

Then there are art models like me, who are short and round and fit no one's requirements, but manage to work quite regularly, because our goals are different.  Photographs of me are hanging in galleries, are included in coffee table art photography books, and are sold as prints to collectors.  It is respectable work.  It's just not mainstream commercial.

I am quite successful at what I do, and I notice more and more models leaning toward the same kind of career, which I applaud.  We don't need a wake up call, we know what we're doing.  Hooray for finding a niche that works!  smile

Shyly - I think you ROCK!  You've got one of the greatest art portfolios I've ever seen!  Congrats on Tyra picking one of your photography shots!  Is there nothing you're not great at?

Feb 09 06 05:31 pm Link

Model

PlusModelNikki

Pontiac, Michigan, US

Amen Shyly!

I guess we should also tell all the smaller women too who are slightly unattractive that they cannot model either.  Only makes sense.  tongue

But! Yes, the same requirements for straight models are set for plus size models.  A size 10 or 12 model rarely gets alot of work, most of the clothes for fittings are made for a size 14.  Size 14 and 16 are very popular and used mostly in the plus sized industry.  Some agencies even accept those up to a size 20.  There are some companies out there that look for super plus sized models, and that usually goes up to a 32w.  So yes, at times, a larger plus model would be in demand.  Brand Models based out of L.A. signs plus models all the way up to a size 20, starting out at a size 12.

Good skin, teeth, and bone structure. Your body should be well porportioned and toned. And she should photograph well. A beautiful girl doesnt necessarily take a beautiful picture.

I repeat,  A BEAUTIFUL GIRLS DOESNT NECESSARILY TAKE A BEAUTIFUL PICTURE smile

SO! With that being said, are you telling me I should give up just because I am not a size 12? :\

Feb 09 06 05:35 pm Link

Model

Sara Beth

New York, New York, US

this is a great post, thanks. i feel kinda bad for alot of girls who are 5'5 and think they can be plus sized. If I'm not quite mistaken, the standard size for most plus girls is 12-14 (i mean standard as in that's considered the most ideal by designers similar to a size 0-4 for "regular" models). It seems that there's a little more room for plus models in terms of they can also be size 18 w/ little problem, but I still *think* the average is size 12-14. Good post, again...

Feb 09 06 05:36 pm Link

Model

PlusModelNikki

Pontiac, Michigan, US

sara I was just thinking about you, like THIS IS WHEN I NEED HER TO BE HERE hehe

smile I knew you'd show up!

and I've spoken with Plus Models who have representation, and they tell me size 12's usually work, but most prefer a size 14/16... BUT each client is different, just as each agency.

Feb 09 06 05:38 pm Link

Model

Sara Beth

New York, New York, US

niki, if you gave up, i'd kick you. you know i would. wink

Feb 09 06 05:40 pm Link

Model

PlusModelNikki

Pontiac, Michigan, US

Nah Sara, you know me! I'd never give up! Cause then I'd have feet prints on my arse from you, ryan, remy, and andrew clifton! LoL I will never give up!  I actually like what I'm doing, and I've yet to get paid, but I smell green somewhere in both of our future! Very soon! smile IM me whenever your online, cause I spoke with Dee last night.

Feb 09 06 05:42 pm Link

Model

PlusModelNikki

Pontiac, Michigan, US

LoL So sorry for all the posts, but I do so much research on Plus Modeling just to make sure I wasnt chasing something that could never be caught....

What is a plus-size model?

Plus-size models are models who are hired to represent the plus-size woman. They generally range in size from a missy 8 all the way up to a size 32W and participate in a variety of modeling jobs including print work, runway shows, and fit or informal modeling.

Plus-size models have many of the same requirements "straight size" models do. They are usually tall (5'8" to 6'0"), have a beautiful face, great bone structure, clear skin, a gorgeous smile, and a well proportioned body. They often find work from their mid-teens all the way through middle age and work in markets all over the US and around the world.

How do you know if you have what it takes to model?

Requirements vary from city to city and also by the type of modeling you wish to do. The best way to find out if you have potential is to visit agencies in your area and see if they feel clients in your market would hire you.

Fashion modeling

Fashion modeling is the category aspiring models usually think of when they dream of being a model. Fashion plus modeling can include a magazine cover or layout, Representing a plus-size manufacturer in print advertisements, or strutting down the catwalk in the latest Lane Bryant lingerie.

What are the requirements?

Between 5'8" and 6'0" 5'9" is pretty much minimum for larger markets though Wilhelmina in NYC does represent a few girls who are 5'7" and 5'8".
A size 10, 12, 14, 16 Sizes 8 and 18/20 are also used, but are not as common.
Toned. You may be a "plus size," but you may have to be in shape if you model swimwear, lingerie or fitness gear.
In style and in demand. You must have a look that is current yet not overly trendy. Plus-size models model a lot of "classic" wear. You don't want to have a buzz cut and a pierced nose if you get called for a Talbot's shoot. Keep your hair and make-up in fashion.
Age. Teens through middle age.
Proportionate. You should be in proportion. Your bust, waist and hips should be about ten inches apart in size (i.e. 42-32-42) or very close. In addition, the shorter you are, the smaller your size should be. Someone who is 5'8" would be expected to wear a smaller size (12/14) than a taller model. It is all about length and proportion

Don't meet the requirements?

Keep in mind, not everyone is cut out to be a fashion model. Don't let this get you down. There are many opportunities for plus-size women in this field, especially at the local level. You just need a little guidance and a LOT of perseverance. You need to make your own opportunities by marketing yourself to businesses who need plus size models.

If an agency tells you that you are too short, the wrong size, or just don't have the right look, ask if they know of other local agencies who deal with commercial models. People of all ages, heights, looks, types and sizes are used in the commercial modeling. And guess what? Commercial models make more money!

And, if you are determined to make it as a top fashion model, keep trying! There are always exceptions to the rule. Just be prepared for a long road.

All this info was brought you to by http://www.plusmodels.com smile

Feb 09 06 05:46 pm Link

Model

Prin S lea

Waynesboro, Virginia, US

Nikki S. wrote:
I guess we should also tell all the smaller women too who are slighly unattractive that they cannot model either.  Only makes sense.  tongue

LOL You need to get out of my head!!!!! LOL
That made me chuckle....*kisses*

Feb 09 06 05:46 pm Link

Photographer

DANACOLE

Oslo, Oslo, Norway

Shyly wrote:

well said....
thanks for your input on the plus size side of modeling....
like I said I wasn't to sure on all of it,
but definately find what works for you. smile

Feb 09 06 05:47 pm Link

Model

PlusModelNikki

Pontiac, Michigan, US

Prin S lea wrote:

LoL I mean, I know that every big woman is not a BBW (Big Beautiful Woman) just like every straight sized woman is not attractive either.  I just find that people are so stuck on defining beauty in a dress size, and its NOT TRUE! Just not true.  I have had conversations like this with many a male, and some agree, some dont.  Some dont realize that plus size or full figure doesnt mean you sit in front of the dummy box all day eating ding dongs and twinkies! LoL Like you said, there are some people who are larger because of medical conditions...there are some that are bigger simply because of genetics.  then there are those who could lose it, but are too lazy.  I lost 64 lbs last year.  I'm still trying to lose more, cause I want to be a 16 for industry standards, but its coming off slowly now that I've already lost so much.  But ahh, I digress... BEAUTY IS NOT DEFINED BY YOUR DRESS SIZE smile

Feb 09 06 05:50 pm Link

Model

Diane ly

Manhattan, Illinois, US

Let's all blame it on AMERICA'S NEXT TOP MODEL wink

HEE HEE tongue

Feb 09 06 06:20 pm Link

Model

PlusModelNikki

Pontiac, Michigan, US

YES! ANTM! Blame them! ~lights torches~

Feb 09 06 06:24 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

Prin S lea wrote:
I have a medical condition that keeps me from being a average small frame women....

What's that condition called?

-Dave

Feb 09 06 10:46 pm Link

Model

Andon

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

Not meaning to hijack - but I'm a size 8-10ish.  (Small 10, average 8)

Runway would be a size 4 or 6.  Plus size is a 10 or 12... so WTF am I!?

I generally represent myself as full-figure, though I'm working back down to my former weight of 140lbs (I've had a baby recently, give me a break).  Am I incorrect in doing so?

Feb 09 06 10:51 pm Link

Model

Nikko Battle

Seattle, Washington, US

i fall somewhat in-between so what would that make me?....i have bigger boobs than 2 small ladies put together...im to small to model for Lane Bryantt type shoots...but yet they dont carry my bra size...eh..im trying to get in were i fit in...but i do love other ladies like my self that are plus size and still have a great looking body. Its all in how you take care of your temple.

Feb 09 06 10:52 pm Link

Model

Andon

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

Prin S lea wrote:

Haha - read my newest thread on the general board.

Feb 09 06 10:52 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Andon wrote:
Not meaning to hijack - but I'm a size 8-10ish.  (Small 10, average 8)

Runway would be a size 4 or 6.  Plus size is a 10 or 12... so WTF am I!?

I generally represent myself as full-figure, though I'm working back down to my former weight of 140lbs (I've had a baby recently, give me a break).  Am I incorrect in doing so?

Represent yoursef as a size 8. You're too small for plus-sized and too big for fashion. 

I think the point of this post was that the term plus-sized means something very specific in the modeling industry and the requirements are just as stringent as in traditional fashion modeling.

As Shyly clearly demonstrates, other avenues of modeling may still be open to you, but not "plus-sized" modeling.

Feb 09 06 11:40 pm Link

Model

Andon

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

theda wrote:

Represent yoursef as a size 8. You're too small for plus-sized and too big for fashion. 

I think the point of this post was that the term plus-sized means something very specific in the modeling industry and the requirements are just as stringent as in traditional fashion modeling.

As Shyly clearly demonstrates, other avenues of modeling may still be open to you, but not "plus-sized" modeling.

I've always admired Shyly's work. 

It's just rough.. i mean, I'm not a twig, but I'm not exactly overflowing with curves...  and even if I'm 140lbs, my hips won't EVER go back to that pre-baby six I don't believe.  *head//desk* 

No, I don't WANT to be a twig, but ftting in somewhere would be nice... jeebus, this sounds like Jr. high all over again.

Feb 10 06 12:13 am Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

Damn, J.  We were typing at the same time and I totally missed that.  Talk about a great big serving of humble pie.  Thank you.

Feb 10 06 01:31 am Link

Model

BeccaNDSouth

Olympia, Washington, US

Wow, I must have been asleep until now. I rarely miss a chance to voice my opinions and thoughts on plus size modeling.

I too, am one of those "girls" that the OP might have been talking about...I hope not, but I probably am. I am 5'5", too short for mainstream plus size modeling, but I have found that I could possibly still fit in with commercial modeling. I want to venture into art modeling as well, and I am a huge fan of Shyly and her work.

I'm a size 15-16, depends on the brand/designer, and if I want to buy junior's sizes or women's. I am also thinking of venturing into the field of design (not professionally, just for my own wardrobe right now).

I would hope I'm not ugly. If I am, I can just use a mask for doing art modeling...lol!

If modeling doesn't work out for me, though, I have a fall-back plan. I'm going to do some research on culinary arts schools in Europe, and apply to one after we move there in May. I want to eventually run my own restaurant and be head chef.

I applaud the fact that there are more non-mainstream models making their faces known. Whether we become famous, or make tons of money, really isn't even the point to why some of us do this. I have found, that for myself anyway, that this is a way to be something I can't be every single day of my life. Every little girl loves to play dress-up, and that doesn't change once you grow up. I do this because I want to. I love when people tell me I can't do something, because it makes me work harder. I also love when people tell me I could never be a fashion model, so I can tell them I never even planned on being one. I enjoy the type of modeling I do. It seems a bit more relaxed at times, but is still demanding.

I don't try to fit the mold....I make my own.

Feb 10 06 08:54 am Link

Model

Cynthia Leigh

Orlando, Florida, US

Dave Krueger wrote:

What's that condition called?

-Dave

There's actually numerous conditions that can cause someone to be "plus-sized".  PCOS and Hypo-thyroidism are two of the more common ones, and while diet and exercise are integral to lose weight with both once you've been diagnosed, medication is often precribed as well further aid. 

I've also known people to gain considerable weight as a side effect to some medications.

Feb 10 06 11:37 pm Link

Model

Chenese Lewis

Los Angeles, California, US

dncphotos wrote:
ok, and I hope I don't step on any toes with this post but alot of models really do not understand the requirements to consider yourself a plus size model.

Now correct me if I'm wrong but to be considered a plus size model you need to still be fit,curvy,toned, and ht and wt porportionate to a point correct?? and usually between a size 10-16 or 18 correct??
I think of Lane Bryant models when I think of plus-size....
NOT monique, or star jones(before the weight loss)type figures.

Im seeing alot of bigger models popping up all over the place in sizes over 18 and so forth and not in good shape trying to fit into the plus size category. Do they fit the mold?
Am I wrong when they ask me to be truthful that they are not in the right shape and criteria to model for plus size things such as Lane Bryant and so forth???

Just want others opinions.....

I may be one of those models you are refering to, because I'm over a size 18. No I don't think you're wrong for telling them they don't quality to do Lane Bryant, most of the plus size models with the stats aren't right either, but that doesn't mean their career is over! I always judge a "model" buy their tears and experience. You can call yourself whatever you want,plus model or supermodel, if you're not getting paying gigs it doesn't count, straight or plus.

As an plus size model/actress the first thing someone asks me when I tell them what I do is "What have you done?" and "Have I seen you on anything?" If you have something to respond with, then I think thats all that matters, no matter what size you are!

Feb 11 06 01:19 am Link

Model

Diane ly

Manhattan, Illinois, US

Chenese wrote:

I may be one of those models you are refering to, because I'm over a size 18. No I don't think you're wrong for telling them they don't quality to do Lane Bryant, most of the plus size models with the stats aren't right either, but that doesn't mean their career is over! I always judge a "model" buy their tears and experience. You can call yourself whatever you want,plus model or supermodel, if you're not getting paying gigs it doesn't count, straight or plus.

As an plus size model/actress the first thing someone asks me when I tell them what I do is "What have you done?" and "Have I seen you on anything?" If you have something to respond with, then I think thats all that matters, no matter what size you are!

Not necessarily!

Feb 11 06 03:11 pm Link

Model

Diane ly

Manhattan, Illinois, US

BECAUSE!  In this business it's all about how you LOOK!  big_smile

Feb 11 06 03:11 pm Link

Model

Chenese Lewis

Los Angeles, California, US

Diana Moffitt wrote:
BECAUSE!  In this business it's all about how you LOOK!  big_smile

No, in the business its all about making MONEY, that's why it's called a business!!!! If your look makes money and is marketable then I think that qualifies to call yourself a model, even if its a commercial model...... if you are getting plus size modeling gigs even though you don't have the industry stats you are still a plus size model.

Feb 11 06 03:14 pm Link

Model

Diane ly

Manhattan, Illinois, US

I thought that was obvious!  smile

Feb 11 06 06:22 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

plus sized modeling is an offshoot of fashion modeling , a lot of the same criteria still exisit..5'9" to 5'11", flatter tummies, with a 10 inch differential in your waist and hips...and of course, a beautiful face. avg size 12-14.

Feb 11 06 06:26 pm Link

Model

TiffanyL

Washington, District of Columbia, US

I am still trying to get in where I fit in.  Right now my goal is to move from a 10 to a six. I hope that open more doors. Lately I get offered a lot of adult work and I do not do that type of work.

Feb 12 06 02:07 pm Link

Model

Diane ly

Manhattan, Illinois, US

Doug Swinskey wrote:
plus sized modeling is an offshoot of fashion modeling , a lot of the same criteria still exisit..5'9" to 5'11", flatter tummies, with a 10 inch differential in your waist and hips...and of course, a beautiful face. avg size 12-14.

Yes.  Not everyone is cut out for modeling unfortunately.  It is a very SUPERFICIAL industry!  You are like a human mannequin and you have to fit the size.  Plus sized models have requirements too.

Feb 12 06 02:08 pm Link

Model

Diane ly

Manhattan, Illinois, US

I take that post back.  There is always room in glam and artistic nude photography if you don't fit the bill for mainstream modeling.

Feb 12 06 02:09 pm Link