Forums > General Industry > Warehouse + Graffiti

Model

Brandon Smith

San Diego, California, US

Hi All..... So I was doing some verification work for a project I'm going to be working on and stumbled upon something that may make a great location......

In essence it is a 30,000 square foot warehouse that has been vacant for a few years, though it has been used by Arrowhead to store some of their water orders.  Quite a few walls have been "artfully decorated" with some great graffiti work (see photos below) that extend to an upper mezzanine as well as a small office near the back.  Although the two photos below don't do much justice I could see it as being a great place in North San Diego County (San Marcos) to possibly have a group shoot.

I haven't talked to the brokers yet but I wanted to see if there was any interest in having some sort of group shoot out more or less up here.

Thoughts?

https://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/designerguybas/DSCN0245.jpg

https://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/designerguybas/DSCN0242.jpg

Feb 09 06 01:24 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Aitken

Seattle, Washington, US

Too bad I live 1000 miles away. That looks like it could have a LOT of potential. If I lived anywhere near there, I'd be all over it.

I don't know why you suggest a group shoot. While groups can be okay learning experiences, they seldom are ideal shoots, and rarely get really fantastic images. Why not find a photographer you admire, and just go there yourself?

Feb 09 06 01:55 pm Link

Model

Brandon Smith

Scott Aitken wrote:
Too bad I live 1000 miles away. That looks like it could have a LOT of potential. If I lived anywhere near there, I'd be all over it.

I don't know why you suggest a group shoot. While groups can be okay learning experiences, they seldom are ideal shoots, and rarely get really fantastic images. Why not find a photographer you admire, and just go there yourself?

I figured that rarities like this only happen every so often so I thought I'd throw it out to the whole lot of em.... But yes....you've got a good point there....My own warehouse... has a nice ring to it :-)

Feb 09 06 02:05 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Brandon, my hat is off to you for wanting to share this find with others and to the fact that you mention contacting the owners of the building to try and secure the authorization to use the space without trespassing, so many just blow this off and do whatever they feel they can without regards to the safety and welfare of all concerned.

Good luck with everything you do,

Craig

Feb 09 06 02:14 pm Link

Model

Brandon Smith

Craig Thomson wrote:
Brandon, my hat is off to you for wanting to share this find with others and to the fact that you mention contacting the owners of the building to try and secure the authorization to use the space without trespassing, so many just blow this off and do whatever they feel they can without regards to the safety and welfare of all concerned.

Good luck with everything you do,

Craig

Is it really trespassing though if you have a key?  HAHA!  I couldn't resist.  I've always enjoyed the more urban aspects of graffiti art as long as it had intent and wasn't just meant to "tag".  I'd hate to let it go to the way of white painted walls without being seen by those who would appreciate it.  I did manage to snake a few photos of the works on the walls as some were quite details (the one of the angel above for example).

And geeezzzz....too bad you guys are in Washington.

Feb 09 06 02:29 pm Link

Photographer

Deaftone

Los Angeles, California, US

You always got to keep a few graf heads close by, the good stuff can bedificult to find

Feb 09 06 02:33 pm Link