Forums > General Industry > One Question

Model

Sydrena

Detroit, Alabama, US

How do you go about finding work period, any kind. I mean do you have to have a certian look? Do you to have a certain number of pictures? I was just wondering. I really do not know.

Feb 08 06 08:26 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

There isn't a formula.  Basically if someone is willing to pay you to model, and you're willing to do so under the terms offered, you'll get paid.  Don't overestimate the amount of paid work that comes out of contacts at ModelMayhem.  It's mostly about having fun, rather than business.

-Don

Feb 08 06 10:06 pm Link

Model

Sydrena

Detroit, Alabama, US

I know. This is a more of a hobby to me. I wasn't just talking about paid work either. I was talking about all work. I don't know, maybe I have to just be patient.

Feb 08 06 10:09 pm Link

Model

Kita St Cyr

New York, New York, US

Take initiative and contacts photographers whose work you really like. Go to websites of clothing companies and see if they've got a section for people looking to model for them. You may be surprised.

Feb 08 06 10:11 pm Link

Model

Sydrena

Detroit, Alabama, US

Thank you. I do try to contact photographers who I like, but they never respond.

Feb 08 06 10:14 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Keep at it.  Be active on the forums, make announcements, hang out at shout box.  Get seen, get heard, and it will happen.

-Don

Feb 08 06 10:17 pm Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

Yep, it's about persistence.  Also, sign up for more than one modeling site.  Until very recently, I got 100% of my work from OMP.  (Gasp!)  Contact every single photographer who is within a reasonable distance of you, whose work you like.  Tell them your ideas, and why you'd like to execute them with that photographer specifically.  Keep doing that until someone good says yes, and then the next one is more likely to.  There's something of a snowball effect that happens.  Go to the art schools if you're interested in figure work, and sign up with their modeling departments.  That will sometimes get you better paying private gigs with the artists and sculptors who want your undivided attention for their projects.  Look at the models in your area whose work you like, and find the photographers they worked with.

It's time consuming, no doubt about it.

Feb 09 06 09:36 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Qualification:  I am an amateur; while my photography is self-sustaining, I don't support myself with my hobby.

Answer to your question:  never underestimate the power of networking.  Get to know the other models in the area.  Get to know the photographers.  Some thoughts:  when I lived in the Bay Area, California, I found that the models all knew each other, but the photographers would never talk with each other.  When I moved here to Oregon a few years ago, the opposite was true:  the photographers knew each other but the models didn't.  We've been working on building a little artistic community here.  Last year I hosted a party of local photographers & models (25 of each showed up) -- we looked at each other's portfolios, swapped business cards, and had a good time.  Several assignments resulted from introductions made at the party.  We are having our 2nd annual party next month.

We are stronger when we share.

Feb 09 06 09:44 am Link

Photographer

00siris

New York, New York, US

Sydrena wrote:
How do you go about finding work period, any kind. I mean do you have to have a certian look? Do you to have a certain number of pictures? I was just wondering. I really do not know.

you wanna find work? .... you have to be hungry -THERE'S NO SUBSTITUTE for HARD WORK.

Just keep at it. constantly look for paid work and learn as much as you can along the way. SOmeone else's formula may not work for you.

Feb 09 06 09:49 am Link