Model

Sheri

Copperas Cove, Texas, US

I'm 16, and I want to press a career in modeling, I started a while back, but my family stopped me until I'm ready.  My question is: How in the world do I get started?  People have told me, I have what it takes, but I don't know what to do with it!  Could anyone help me?

Jun 16 05 10:22 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Posted by Sheri: 
I'm 16, and I want to press a career in modeling, I started a while back, but my family stopped me until I'm ready.  My question is: How in the world do I get started?  People have told me, I have what it takes, but I don't know what to do with it!  Could anyone help me?

First, if you are taking dance lessons, then do continue to do so. If not, then consider taking dance classes because it really does help you ability to pose! It is also less expensive than going to many of the modeling schools that don't provide any better education than what is also available for you to learn for "free" or at least less expensive. Theater arts classes also help you!

Look for photographers whose work you like and ask if they will shoot "tfp" with you. Bring a parent so they can sign a release. Some photographers will turn you down because they are not into working with 16 year olds, but there are many others including myself who have no problem with your age. It does not hurt to ask!

Then you should do a lot of research as to what direction you want to take this.  I'll post my modeling tips for you next.

Jun 16 05 10:34 pm Link

Model

Sheri

Copperas Cove, Texas, US

I do take dance classes..well i'm on the dance team at my highschool (copperettes) so I think I got myself well in that area.

Jun 16 05 10:37 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?p … ead_id=672

check out the "Tips For Models" that I posted. Also you can join http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bellatalent where there are other models and actors exchanging information.

Best wishes!

Jun 16 05 10:44 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

I was watching the new ballroom dance reality show on ABC last night where they pair celebrities with dance professionals and do competitive dance.

Well, the judges were just raving about Rachael Hunter's "lines" she created by holding her body asthetically through her dance. Nobody happened to realize that OF COURSE, that's what she does for a living! duh!

John

Jun 16 05 10:44 pm Link

Photographer

Harry Young

Los Angeles, California, US

Getting started in modeling depends upon "where you are" vs
"where the modeling jobs are".
I don't know where Copperas Cove, Texas IS ... nor if you are near large cities. If you are within 1-hour, pretty good; if
not, pretty bad for getting (on time) to interviews/etc.

what you can do is start learning basics: makeup & hair, acting, dance, gymnastics (these help with body-movement/pose and facial-expressions). Then go around your area looking for
college art/photo classes, art-schools, etc. they need models
(clothed!) and even pay a little.

remember: involve your parents, and check references!!

Jun 16 05 11:04 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Posted by Sheri: 

this tells it all " www.newmodels.com "

Jun 16 05 11:45 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Sheri, it's great that you are on here and asking questions. You will go far just by learning now! There is good information out there for you to read. Keep your studying up and don't give up!

Best wishes!
Patrick

Jun 17 05 03:34 am Link

Photographer

Ray Garner

Seagrove, North Carolina, US

Sheri,
There have been several metioned in reply post that will help you get noticed,Here's another one or two would be to contact a Photographer that is doing a Shoot with another Model or two and ask if you can come to the Shoot and have some images done this will give you a chance to meet the other Models and talk to them a get some good ideas from them and have some images done for yourself,Sheri Good luck with your Modeling and I hope you have much success.
Ray...

Jun 17 05 01:00 pm Link

Photographer

Fred Brown Photo

Chicago, Illinois, US

In addition to some of the great advice you've been given, one thing is you'll have to be tough and be able to take rejection. This is something that every model will go through. Even Cindy Crawford was rejected by elite.

Anyways with that said, keep in mind that your height will limit you in terms of how far you will go in the industry. Most fashion related agencies will tell you that you need to be 5'10 although Kate Moss is 5'6 and is a top "supermodel". You will find exceptions between those heights but it's gonna be a battle for you to land an agency which is where the work and growth is.

Jun 17 05 11:55 am Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

Newport News, Virginia, US

Don't believe everything you read on the net...  Don't believe everything you hear from talent managers...  Weigh everything you hear and read out carefully - do a lot of research and make sure it is a thorough as you can possibly get... Make sure that your parents read everything before signing anything as well as understand all clauses of all contracts... Don't ever get over-excited at any modeling prospect - always think about anything once, then twice, and then a third time before making any move that involves a signature. 

Jun 17 05 12:01 pm Link