Forums > General Industry > Moonstar Management (LONG- sorry!!)

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

Ok- to keep this short-

Wondering if anyone has heard of this company/has any information/has any stories/knows anyone that has worked with them.

I was invited to their open house (for lack of a way better and more proper term) back in December and it's coming up in two weeks. I have spoken with their representatives and they state that they are NOT an agency, but that they try to place talent with agencies. The idea is to go in, with comp cards, headshots, whatever it is you have to market yourself and they will use that if they feel they are good enough. If not, they won't put their name with you to market you and will ask you to either get them re-done (with whomever you want at your own cost) or with their photographer, again at your own cost. On top of this there is a $100.00 same day registration fee to be showcased (if you want to work with any of their coaches that day, extra money must be shelled out). They also offer acting coaches at a "bargain price"- I already have one and I'm not willing to pay for another one- but these are the types of services they offer.

That same day they are going to have showcases in front of 8-10 agencies in NYC. In these showcases, depending on what it is that you do, you can audition for acting, singing or modeling for agency representation.

They also offer this in California and after speaking with two separate reps. the suggested that I work with them in Cali. and do the showcases in March out in L.A. because they think the market is better for me personally, and just in general.

Here are my questions...

1. What's your first reaction to this? Scam? Legit? Need more info? Anything, I want to know.

2. Have you heard of this company? What is your experience with them?

3. What do you think about the needing new photos etc.?

4. Looking at my portfolio, knowing that I'm 24 and more suited for commercial/lifestyle, not fashion, do you think I should wait one month and go to California (a trip that is in the making anyways), or do the NYC thing first, and see how it goes before deciding on California?

Feb 08 06 01:15 pm Link

Model

AshleyDanielle

West Hollywood, California, US

No, I have never heard of this company personally but...

Do you have their company address?
Checked it with the better business bureau?
You have the name of the person you spoke with (first and last) and the name of the person that owns this um group or what ever it is that does this service?
Check to see if they have a rap sheet?
What exactly is the service called that they offer?
What 8 to 10 agencies will be at this event you're attending?
Where will the meeting with the agencies be located?
Did you call the location to see if there is a hall/conference room booked for the event?
Call any of the above said agencies to see if they will have representation at the event?
Their coaches.. what is their background and training and credentials?

These are some of the questions I have after reading your post so maybe some questions will help you.
Those are some of the things I'd check out before making a commitment.

Feb 08 06 01:37 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

Modeling school is what they are.

Feb 08 06 01:41 pm Link

Model

Angelus

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Daniela V wrote:
On top of this there is a $100.00 same day registration fee to be showcased (if you want to work with any of their coaches that day, extra money must be shelled out).

That is all you need to know....

Rip Off...

Daniela V wrote:
That same day they are going to have showcases in front of 8-10 agencies in NYC.

This is why it's a rip-off.
1.) A company no one has ever heard of....now (out of the blue) has positive relationships with legit agencies? No.
Agencies do NOT jump into business with every Tom, Dick and Harry.
2.) You never pay a registration fee to be evaluated by any legit company.
3.) They are a model management company that is trying to act like a school.
4.) It's a very well-known fact for industry professionals (and some new talent know this as well.) that agents do NOT going to these searches/evals, contests looking for new faces.

If they ever do decide to attend one, it is because they are paid a fee to be there...or it is presented
as a free vacation and they receive a per diem. for coming out. They go thru the formalities and rush to get the thing over with to continue their all expense paid vacation.

Maybe one person (maybe more) gets asked to come into their office for a second evaluation. (The REAL evaluation; when they actually have business on their minds.)

And to actually get SIGNED, you have to be extremely unique in your look. Because their objective is to see all of you a  quick as possible and be done with you. And, theirbooks are probably filled wit  talent that looks just like you. (
n their eyes)

Apendage to this scenarion:
-Many times an intern or rep is sent who isn't a decision-maker. A non-agent/scout. Usually a receptionist, model, pesonal assistant or admin asistant.

-Then no one may show up at all.
1.) Because there's a GOOD chance no real agents have been invited.
2.)Because the real agents have only accepted an invitation. They're not obigated. No agent will EVER guarantee they'll attend to something like this. Why? They have work to do and these things are last on their priority schedules if at all.
Plus sending an assistant can
be taking away from
much needed work at the office. These agencies are not heavily staffed and everyone has a specific job to do.
Plus, who has the time or even cares about making some lame/bogus open search when they're fielding phone calls all day from aspiring talent that is putting more effort into getting signed?
If you don't have a look they want, going to one of those will NOT improve your chances only make you $100+ poorerand them several $100 richer.

The bottom line reasons that these companies and programs do not work and in the end are rip-offs.

Walk away.

Feb 08 06 03:23 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

bump

Feb 10 06 01:12 pm Link

Photographer

Universal Beauty

Basically, I agree with everything above, except one:  RUN away, don't walk away, and keep a firm grip on your purse or wallet!

Another suggestion:  go to www.newmodels.com and plan to spend quite a bit of time reading.  Excellent site with the "straight scoop."

Feb 10 06 04:14 pm Link