Forums > General Industry > gratitude, loyalty - very rare in fashion!!!

Photographer

J C ModeFotografie

Los Angeles, California, US

[photographer]
02/05/06 9:56 PM
Whatever happened with G___[newly-signed model who has a portfolio here on MM]? I ran into her at my favorite local restaurant a couple of days ago and she acted like she'd never met me in her life. Ingrate! (not sure I spelled that right) LOL! She sucks!

[photographer]
JAY carreon
02/08/06 1:20 AM
Some people, they get a little bit of attention and they think they can never stink. It takes a while to learn people's true characters. Her attitude definitely comes from some deep-seated insecurity about herself - she is so unhappy about something within herself. She can't stand the thought of having anything to do with anything to remind her that she started out as a "nobody" - and that includes photographers who helped her get started. I have encountered people like her countless times. 

I know it sounds trite to quote the movies, but this suit is cut to fit:

Wyatt Earp: "Why does he do what he does?"
Doc Holliday: "A man like him has a great big hole inside of himself - he can never steal enough or kill enough or inflict enough pain to ever fill it."
Wyatt Earp: "But what does he want?"
Doc Holliday: "Revenge."
Wyatt Earp: "What for?"
Doc Holliday: "For being born."

Be thankful - you and I are at least closer to being normal then she ever will.

JAY carreon
PHOTOGRAPHER

This is why when you find loyalty and gratitude in this industry, it feels that much more precious!!!

Feb 08 06 01:25 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I've found a lot of loyalty and gratitude, but I've also found a lot of what you are talking about as well.  In my experience it's been 50/50 though...maybe I'm just lucky

Feb 08 06 08:23 am Link

Photographer

duwayno

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

don't take any of it personal and you'll be cool and without headache.

Feb 08 06 09:19 am Link

Model

Sexiest Carly

i have to agree with james....it's been about 50/50....but most people i've shot with i am great friends with and have worked with on a repeat basis.

I've found that the one group of people i found complaining about loyalty were total vampires....and NO WONDER no one was loyal to them. bleh! smile

Feb 08 06 09:39 am Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

I don't care if they're loyal. If I "discover" a model and she goes on to bigger and better things, I'm happy for her. (I have high hopes for several models I've worked with, including being so good and so in demand that they won't shoot with me anymore.) I am loyal to models only in that if a model I've worked with and liked is appropriate for a concept, I'll ask her first. If she isn't, I don't care how much I like her, I won't ask her.

However, I *would* appreciate a little gratitude. If one of them Makes It, I would say that a very nice Christmas present (anything from an XBox 360 to a Lexus) was in order. smile

And I *insist* on politeness. Trust me, nobody's too important to be polite to me: I may be an amateur photographer but I am a professional troublemaker. Words to the wise. wink

M

Feb 08 06 11:09 am Link

Model

Inferi

Eagan, Minnesota, US

StMarc wrote:
I don't care if they're loyal. If I "discover" a model and she goes on to bigger and better things, I'm happy for her. (I have high hopes for several models I've worked with, including being so good and so in demand that they won't shoot with me anymore.) I am loyal to models only in that if a model I've worked with and liked is appropriate for a concept, I'll ask her first. If she isn't, I don't care how much I like her, I won't ask her.

However, I *would* appreciate a little gratitude. If one of them Makes It, I would say that a very nice Christmas present (anything from an XBox 360 to a Lexus) was in order. smile

And I *insist* on politeness. Trust me, nobody's too important to be polite to me: I may be an amateur photographer but I am a professional troublemaker. Words to the wise. wink

M

I agree.  I don't know why people act negitively towards people who have helped them get started.  People should always be courteous and polite; you never know how karma might affect you.  Besides, treat people how you want to be treated.  it's not that difficult, is it??

Feb 08 06 12:46 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

The less you expect out of people, the more you'll receive.

Think that was in a fortune cookie tongue

Feb 08 06 12:53 pm Link

Photographer

J C ModeFotografie

C R Photography wrote:
The less you expect out of people, the more you'll receive.

Think that was in a fortune cookie tongue

Wow - so we should just sit back and surrender to the "law of diminishing returns" when it comes to human relationships?  I expect a lot from myself and people who don't at least make the effort to measure up aren't worth my time and effort.

JAY carreon
PHOTOGRAPHER

Feb 10 06 02:04 am Link