Forums > General Industry > Paying for Photos

Model

Kaela Salmons

Virginia Beach, Virginia, US

I had a interview with a modeling agency in Columbus. Called S2 management.. I looked them up on BBB and they're with them and everything and they want me to be one of their models. Just I'm told I need new pictures.. I understand that I do need professional ones taken since well my senior pictures are copyrighted and well senior pictures just she said the down payment for them would be about 375 and she wants to try to set up a shoot next week. I'm just curious.. when i go to my second interview where we'll talk about this (my dad is going to be there.. I'm 18) should I try to get her to pay for the pictures or question this?

Feb 07 06 10:20 pm Link

Photographer

James Berglie

Nottingham, Maryland, US

Some agency's will try to make money off of you by having their photographer shoot with you.  -- with reputable agencies, this is a good idea because they generally will only work with good photographers.  --  Just see some sample photos before you do anything...  make sure the work is quality. -- John Powers.. or roberts.. or whatever it is is famous for having photos taken during their "classes" --  the photos generally SUCK however!  -- 

Just make sure you see a portfolio of what you can expect.  -- but overall, yes, you will have to pay for pictures to get shots worth using.  at least thats my opinon. 

I would also ask if there is a list of photogs the agency might suggest.  -- most agencies have a couple of photogs they normally work with, and reffer to new talent.  --  take a look at who they offer and pick the one that works best for you!

best of luck,
james

Feb 07 06 10:27 pm Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Boca del Mar, Florida, US

are they an agency or a management company?

Feb 07 06 10:29 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

Kaela Salmons wrote:
she said the down payment for them would be about 375

What's the rest going to be?  Sounds high to me.  I'll shoot you if you can get to Columbus and it won't cost you nearly that much.

http://www.paulsportraits.com/fashion/modelprices.htm

Paul

Feb 07 06 10:34 pm Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

Kaela Salmons wrote:
.. when i go to my second interview where we'll talk about this (my dad is going to be there.. I'm 18) should I try to get her to pay for the pictures or question this?

Remove the whole aspect of photos altogether in the second interview.  Getting the right shots is easy given proper guidance and where you'll fit in.  Fitting in with their client base is the first priority and if you don't find that out how do you build an imaging package?

The key to this interview is geting them to discuss their role in developing your modeling career...and that isn't photos.  Ask pointed and direct questions regarding work, who they work with, how you fit in and best guesstimate expectations of getting booked based on their client base. 

Ask who their clients are, and whether the agency can schedule any face-to-face go-sees with the best image they pick before pictures.  Bring in one clean shot. 

If after any client meetings they come back to you excited, then get the imaging based on how you will get booked.  If you hear nothing after the client meetings (or they can't schedule go-sees), an image package purchased through them is a good investment, but only for them and not for you.

Feb 07 06 10:39 pm Link

Photographer

JT Hodges

Austin, Texas, US

James Berglie wrote:
Some agency's will try to make money off of you by having their photographer shoot with you.

Not allowed in Texas. In fact there are some instances where the agency owner has gotten in trouble for doing free shoots.

Feb 07 06 10:57 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

area291 wrote:

Remove the whole aspect of photos altogether in the second interview.  Getting the right shots is easy given proper guidance and where you'll fit in.  Fitting in with their client base is the first priority and if you don't find that out how do you build an imaging package?

The key to this interview is geting them to discuss their role in developing your modeling career...and that isn't photos.  Ask pointed and direct questions regarding work, who they work with, how you fit in and best guesstimate expectations of getting booked based on their client base. 

Ask who their clients are, and whether the agency can schedule any face-to-face go-sees with the best image they pick before pictures.  Bring in one clean shot. 

If after any client meetings they come back to you excited, then get the imaging based on how you will get booked.  If you hear nothing after the client meetings (or they can't schedule go-sees), an image package purchased through them is a good investment, but only for them and not for you.

Dude, she's a rookie. Like she knows better than the agency??? lol

Feb 07 06 11:06 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

James Berglie wrote:
Just make sure you see a portfolio of what you can expect.  -- but overall, yes, you will have to pay for pictures to get shots worth using.

Period.

Feb 07 06 11:07 pm Link

Model

Angelus

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Kaela Salmons wrote:
...Called S2 management...

...would be about 375 and she wants to try to set up a shoot next week.

Damn..$375 deposit is SUPER high for a second-tier agency, if they qualify as that.

Which a deposit is roughly 25% of the full amount...assuming here to be $1500. This exact amount always comes to the same amont that a photomill agency shoots for. And it's amazing that they can schedule you immediately fora shoot. Another red flag!

You can be listed with the better business bureau and still cheat people. because they bases their ratings off of a universal business ethics system. And considering the modeling industry works differently than all othes...it's hard to get a serious complaint filed nless is for more than 'selling pictures'.

Even if the $375 deposit was 50%, being total $750, that is still high. Usually the quality of pay jobs justifies portfolio expenditure. And if they're NOT a high-end specialty boutique or a tier one agemcy...they won't have the type clients that warrants paying $1500 for a photo session.

I'd say keep your eye on them.
Ask if you can shoot with your own photographer and do NOT sign an ex lusive contract....if they say no to the photographer walk away. Don't stay. They're not popular enough to demand such a stipulation.

I'm going to go find out more details about them so I can give you exact info in regards of how to proceed.

Right now...be w
rry of te red flags.
-Assumed high price for pictures (no mention of portfolio) doesn't match scale of agency placing.
-Too eager to you new pictures but no mention of the option to do it on your own (not a common trait of an agency) Top agencie
always RECOMMEND photographers...more than one...and send you. They NEVER take your money and spring whatever photographer on you.
-A deposit! If an agency is going to help you with your pictures, usually they are going to want the money upfront. Or deduct it from your pay when you work.  Usually...but it can
happen like this as well.

-Availability. They seem too available for picture taking (and photographer ready).

Again...these are ONLY red flags. Not intended to mean NO! Just be very careful until I, or someone comes with more specific information on them.

Feb 07 06 11:13 pm Link

Photographer

Jax Professional Photos

Jacksonville, Florida, US

http://www.bbb.org/alerts/article.asp?ID=477

BBB Advises Caution When Dealing With Talent/Modeling Agencies

Do you think you have what it takes to be a model or actor? Many unscrupulous talent and modeling agencies will lead you to believe so. However, far too often, consumers are victimized by fraudulent agencies promising money, exposure and stardom.

There are ethical and legitimate talent and modeling agencies in the entertainment business. Before becoming involved with an agency, know exactly what they should be doing for you. An agency should be engaged in the marketing and booking of talent. Usually a state license is required to book work for a fee. The agent's role is to promote the talent who has contracted for their marketing services, negotiate the most favorable contract for the talent and collect a commission from the talent. You should interview your agent as thoroughly as you would interview your doctor, lawyer, or CPA. Remember, the agent will be working for you, not vice versa. Carefully review your contract with your agent. This is your agreement regarding what the agent will do to earn the commission you pay.

To help you detect fraudulent opportunities, the Better Business Bureau warns that disreputable agencies often:

Ask for up-front money, which may be called "registration," quot;consultation," or "administrative" fees. Legitimate agents work on a commission. They don't get any money until you get paid for doing the work they have obtained for you.

Pressure you to leave a check or cash deposit or sign a contract immediately. The agent may insist that you take acting lessons at a particular school or from a particular teacher; or may try to get you to buy expensive photographs, audition tapes, or other services or materials sold by someone he or she suggests. An agent's time should be spent finding work for his or her client, not selling products and services.

Display pictures of famous models or celebrities on the walls to make you believe they are represented by that agency, although they're not.

Use names which sound similar to well-known agencies. Fraudulent companies will sometimes do this to give the incorrect impression that they are connected to a legitimate entity.

Place phony ads in the help wanted section of newspapers that say something like, "new faces wanted" for commercials, movies or modeling or claim that "no experience is necessary."
Problems or complaints about an agent or an agency may be referred to the BBB, state Department of Licensing and Regulation or consumer protection agency in the city where the company is located. To obtain helpful consumer information on a particular agency, you will need to contact the local BBB that serves that particular city.

3/25/2003
© 2003 Council of Better Business Bureaus, Inc.

Feb 07 06 11:17 pm Link

Model

Diane ly

Manhattan, Illinois, US

CrazyIsabelAurora wrote:
are they an agency or a management company?

Agency or management company it doesn't matter!  As long as they get you work!  I can give you an endless list of management companies that are reputable....for example:  Major Model Mgmt & IKON New York Model Managment..........the list goes on.

I agree with James if you have absoloutely no pictures to use for your portfolio then you do have to pay for your own shoots.  You also have to pay for your own comp cards.  Some agencies/mgmt companies will advance you the money by setting up an acct for you.  Meaning that you would work of those costs through your bookings.  However, if they are a small agency this usually isn't the case.  But if they really like your look they will take this into consideration.

I always suggest new models to go into the agency as if you don't need them!  You have to give them a sales pitch that they can't turn down.  Be confident you can do it!  smile

Also read:  www.newmodels.com

Feb 07 06 11:46 pm Link

Photographer

artist

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Kaela Salmons wrote:
I had a interview with a modeling agency in Columbus. Called S2 management.. I looked them up on BBB and they're with them and everything and they want me to be one of their models. Just I'm told I need new pictures.. I understand that I do need professional ones taken since well my senior pictures are copyrighted and well senior pictures just she said the down payment for them would be about 375 and she wants to try to set up a shoot next week. I'm just curious.. when i go to my second interview where we'll talk about this (my dad is going to be there.. I'm 18) should I try to get her to pay for the pictures or question this?

Well, if they feel you need new pictures, with their photographer, let them take the costs out of work you do for them, 50% of each gig you get until the images are paid off. 

Sounds like a scam to me.  May be harsh, but like dating services, all they want to do is get that intial sign, then they don't care about whether you get jobs, or dates, or whatever.  If you do, well, they count that as gravy.

There was a good suggestion to take the pictures off the table completely, and have them show you how well you'll fit in with them, what sort of jobs you can can expect, and how much they expect YOU to reasonably make.  If they can't give you something, or try to side step the issue, you've got your answer.

If they think they can do "wonderful" for you, send you out on multiple jobs, then let them take photos out of your checks, at 50% (split the costs of getting you started).  If they don't feel that strongly about you, how good is their assurances that you are that wonderful, or going to make that much?

Just common sense.  If it doesn't make sense, it probably is smoke and mirrors.

Scott
aka Bodyartist

Feb 07 06 11:57 pm Link