Forums > General Industry > Impact 210: scam?

Model

Ms Kaylee

Helena, Montana, US

I got an email from a scout from Impact Worldwide and did a search on Impact210. I received these:

http://www.easybackgroundcheck.com/impact210.html
http://www.klaasdevriesjr.nl/k-files/ta … act210.htm

and several other forums related to Impact210 and it's founder.

So...what's your take?

Feb 07 06 09:12 pm Link

Model

BeccaNDSouth

Olympia, Washington, US

huge scam. They are in the same boat as Wilhelmina Scouting Network, Options Talent, and I can't remember what other name they go by. They have had fraud reports on them for the past ten years I believe. Every time they are found out, they change their name to something else...same idea, same scam, just different names.

Feb 07 06 09:29 pm Link

Model

Angelus

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Also goes by Impact Worldwide. The guys who owned Wilhemina Scouting Network, Options, and TCT (along with others) are the owners of Impact 210.

There are numerous threads about them on multiple websites...because they have amp'd up their attack on unsuspecting models.

You'll find the most information on www.forums.models.com under 'modeling discussions'. We've had a very long detailed discussion about Impact.

Stay away. Stay away.

Feb 07 06 09:37 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

I was just reading a thread on models.com....some poor model taken by them...sent her on a casting for Teen people....turned out to be just a sales pitch.

Feb 07 06 10:25 pm Link

Model

Angelus

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Mary wrote:
I was just reading a thread on models.com....some poor model taken by them...sent her on a casting for Teen people....turned out to be just a sales pitch.

Yep. In the first thread, she was so trapped under their spell of lies that she wa  defending them and call everyone lies, haters, wannabes and idiots  after being handed proof in many forms.

She started a second thread after getting pissed at a bogus casting call and understandably nobody wanted to help her or give any more advice.

Shot herself in the foot.

To the OP and others:
Stay Away. Stay Far Away.

Feb 07 06 10:32 pm Link

Model

Diane ly

Manhattan, Illinois, US

It is very rare that an agent will pick you up off the street and via email.  Just be cautious.  Do not give anyone a dime!  Agents are here to make you rich not the other way around wink

Feb 07 06 11:26 pm Link

Model

Sabina N

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Wilhelmina scouting network... from what I know, Wilhelmina agency is an established, respected name. Are they indeed affiliated?

I haven't searched recently, but all I ever found of an agency website for Wilhelmina was the logo I know well, and some casting contests... is W. not legitimate, after all?

Sonntag

Feb 08 06 05:19 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Sonntag wrote:
Wilhelmina scouting network... from what I know, Wilhelmina agency is an established, respected name. Are they indeed affiliated?

I haven't searched recently, but all I ever found of an agency website for Wilhelmina was the logo I know well, and some casting contests... is W. not legitimate, after all?

Sonntag

Wilhelmina licensed its name for use by a known scam a couple years ago.  Wilhelmina injured its reputation by doing so (and got stiffed by the TC Talent guys to boot), but they are still a legitimate agency.

Feb 08 06 05:26 am Link

Photographer

Jax Professional Photos

Jacksonville, Florida, US

http://www.bbb.org/alerts/article.asp?ID=477

BBB Advises Caution When Dealing With Talent/Modeling Agencies

Do you think you have what it takes to be a model or actor? Many unscrupulous talent and modeling agencies will lead you to believe so. However, far too often, consumers are victimized by fraudulent agencies promising money, exposure and stardom.

There are ethical and legitimate talent and modeling agencies in the entertainment business. Before becoming involved with an agency, know exactly what they should be doing for you. An agency should be engaged in the marketing and booking of talent. Usually a state license is required to book work for a fee. The agent's role is to promote the talent who has contracted for their marketing services, negotiate the most favorable contract for the talent and collect a commission from the talent. You should interview your agent as thoroughly as you would interview your doctor, lawyer, or CPA. Remember, the agent will be working for you, not vice versa. Carefully review your contract with your agent. This is your agreement regarding what the agent will do to earn the commission you pay.

To help you detect fraudulent opportunities, the Better Business Bureau warns that disreputable agencies often:

Ask for up-front money, which may be called "registration," quot;consultation," or "administrative" fees. Legitimate agents work on a commission. They don't get any money until you get paid for doing the work they have obtained for you.

Pressure you to leave a check or cash deposit or sign a contract immediately. The agent may insist that you take acting lessons at a particular school or from a particular teacher; or may try to get you to buy expensive photographs, audition tapes, or other services or materials sold by someone he or she suggests. An agent's time should be spent finding work for his or her client, not selling products and services.

Display pictures of famous models or celebrities on the walls to make you believe they are represented by that agency, although they're not.

Use names which sound similar to well-known agencies. Fraudulent companies will sometimes do this to give the incorrect impression that they are connected to a legitimate entity.

Place phony ads in the help wanted section of newspapers that say something like, "new faces wanted" for commercials, movies or modeling or claim that "no experience is necessary."
Problems or complaints about an agent or an agency may be referred to the BBB, state Department of Licensing and Regulation or consumer protection agency in the city where the company is located. To obtain helpful consumer information on a particular agency, you will need to contact the local BBB that serves that particular city.

3/25/2003
© 2003 Council of Better Business Bureaus, Inc.

Feb 08 06 05:31 am Link