Forums > General Industry > dont think yer macs are THAT safe...

Photographer

Stuart Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

I am a mac and pc user. more new to the mac. But i also know a crapload about information security. I remmeber a thread where a bunch of you were boasting not having av on your macs, and im still against that practice...

but moving forward...how bout you read this...

http://www.securityfocus.com/news/11375

Feb 07 06 04:57 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

Funny how Norton as always been PC and Mac compatible.

Feb 07 06 05:04 pm Link

Photographer

Aperture Photographics

Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

Capt Stu Beans wrote:
I am a mac and pc user. more new to the mac. But i also know a crapload about information security. I remmeber a thread where a bunch of you were boasting not having av on your macs, and im still against that practice...

but moving forward...how bout you read this...

http://www.securityfocus.com/news/11375

Totally agree with you.  My background is in Computer Science, and in my photograhy business I use both Mac's and PC's, and run Norton on both, always have.  Just because most of the idiot hackers are writing viruses for Microsoft systems doesn't mean your Mac can't be infected.

Feb 07 06 06:17 pm Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Los Angeles, California, US

It was only a matterof time.

I am in the digital media industry and I have always said that MACS will one day become targets just like PC's.

If you think in todays world a MAC is your saving grace..think again.

I have macs and PC...I use the PC, not a big Mac fan...just preference..no arguments as to which is better..

I spent a lot of money on my PC's, they ae not the tpical home desk top.

I havent had a virus in over 6yrs...knock on wood...But I take great care to make sure this doesnt happen...And if and when it does..I am confidant my ystem will catch it.

Computers are like cars, you cant just keep running them without updates and maintanence, I think PC's require a little more work from the user than do MACs.

though after reading that post, times are a changing.

Interesting, thanks for the info...

Oh...I've never liked Norton...did strange things to my registry...

Feb 07 06 09:44 pm Link

Photographer

B R E E D L O V E

Forks, Washington, US

I have had my macs since 1996 and never have had even one virus or worm or any sort of trouble and I don't use any anti virus program. I did have Nortons back in the day but it was more trouble than worth it so I stopped using it.

Feb 07 06 09:47 pm Link

Photographer

JT Hodges

Austin, Texas, US

And now that Macs will be using the standard Intel x-86 processors, they will be essentially the same as a PC.

Feb 07 06 10:01 pm Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Los Angeles, California, US

JT Hodges wrote:
And now that Macs will be using the standard Intel x-86 processors, they will be essentially the same as a PC.

The processors dont really have anything to do with vunerabilities. It's more to do with the OS.
As far as processors go, there are a lot of choices out there. I've been using better than "standard" for some time. Except in the Macs, go with what they come with because MAC does a good job at putting the systems together.

All of my PC's are customized to SMOKE! LOL

Alot of my MAC buddies are amazd at the power of my systems. MAC are prety much out of the box machines. PC's lend themselves to customization. In the end, my PC's and Macs, cost about the same.

All on the same network and SMOKIN...

V

Feb 07 06 10:13 pm Link