Forums > General Industry > Finding the niche

Photographer

Deaftone

Los Angeles, California, US

Photography is fun for me, and a sense of satisfaction with the end result, but I must say I find it to be a pain in the butt to find a niche.  Anyone know of a magazine that readily accepts submissions within CA.  Too often the lovely word experience comes into play, and my experience is limited to doing things on my own.  Appreciate the feedback.

Feb 07 06 02:04 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

Niche marketing to me has always been more enjoyable then going head to head with the masses.  Once you find and develop a niche, then everything else is usually easier and more profitable. - You get known as "the guy who does [insert special talent or product here]".  I agree that it takes a lot more initial energy and creativity to find a niche than to follow the beaten path.  - But it is well worth it if you have a desire to be different.

Feb 07 06 04:24 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

You will find that a lot of magazines want stuff  'for free' for the honor of appearing in their mag.

After a round of free pubs - we photogs like to get paid!

Feb 07 06 04:37 pm Link

Photographer

Deaftone

Los Angeles, California, US

Yeah I know magazines, or anyone for that matter that has the power will want to make me do it for free first time around.  It is just gonna take some time to get myself in the mix.  But I think I will keep trying to jump out of the box, the ideas have been more fun and bettered my portfolio.

Feb 07 06 06:39 pm Link

Photographer

AllenA

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Sure, paying jobs want experience... so find a mag that's grateful for ANYTHING to start out with.  Something like Persian Cat Breeder's Digest or Amature Model Train Collector.  Take the portraits of the Breeder of the Month, or the Collector's Spotlight for a few months.  Concider it TFCD, but work it like it's a high paying gig. Be professional. Be on-time.  Make the shots are the best damn photos that Persian Cat Breeder will have ever seen.

Then, shop your stuff around to small circulation mags and start-up mags that might actually pay you either as a staff photog or freelancer. Find something closer to your interest if possible. 

If you want to shoot fashion, then approach a small ladies clothing store and offer to shoot thier next brochure or ad campaign.

Models sometimes pay for thier portfolio, and all this time & energy you're investing here is YOU paying for your 'experience' and portfolio.

Work up from there. Keep shopping your stuff around.  All of a sudden you've got some experience. Approach the players in the industry every few months.  Apprentice yourself to their main photographers if you are able.  Get letters of reccomendation from the places you've shot for.

Start a 'blog about your photographic experiences.  Somewhere, sometime the right person just may peruse it.  The chance is maybe a tad less then one-in-a-million, but do it anyway. 

Develop your contacts, and keep them updated with your current work that fits thier catagory.  Be persistant, but not a prick.

Then, after a couple of years of keeping all that up, you may start selling shots to some start-up rag with a team of semi-paid, semi-pro staff.

Sometimes, that's where you'll stay.  Sometimes not.

awlright.... rant over...

Good luck,

Allen

Feb 07 06 09:17 pm Link