Forums > General Industry > TFP Solution

Photographer

J. Stakeman

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

This just came to me... so I'm pretty sure there must be a lot of people doing it.

How's this to solve(maybe just alleviate) all the random useless portfolio shoots... why don't folks/we shoot TFP for stock or trade portfolio buildings images for released stock ones.

Same expenditures on both sides as before, but a saleable product at the end, no hurt feelings on lost time, and less ego bruising....   Finally models being new is an asset rather than a liability.. your lack of recognizability makes the images more saleable.... and non-traditional model types get in on the action.  And this produces images that actually get people work, and isn't just a distributed photo mill....

just a thought...

Feb 05 06 12:56 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

b*mp

Feb 05 06 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

Chad Boutin

Portland, Oregon, US

Agreed, I am currently attempting to develope a inventory of stock images, I would test (sorry i dont know all that tfp tfcd tf-whatever lingo) a model for a release...

word.

Feb 05 06 03:36 pm Link

Photographer

artist

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

J. Stakeman wrote:
How's this to solve(maybe just alleviate) all the random useless portfolio shoots... why don't folks/we shoot TFP for stock or trade portfolio buildings images for released stock ones.

I think I'm missing the point of this.

You mean there are actually people out there shooting "worthless" pictures?  TFP shoots are supposed to be PRODUCTIVE and MEANINGFUL, and commercially, artistically, or stock viable.  Otherwise, why waste the time?

I think I must be missing something.  I can't believe that people shooting TFP just toss the images in the trash can if they aren't the one initiating the shoot.  The whole point is to ADVANCE your position without extra cost.  Your position can be that of photographer or model, but *nothing* in the TFP concept limits the photos to portfolios.  We use the same release for everything. 

I can understand models not wanting to do TFP if their portfolio is as agood as they want it, and they need cash.  I can't imagine a photographer ever turning down TFP, unless they are so booked for paying jobs they can't squeeze in anything more.

You mean people really didn't get releases, or used TFP only for portfolio or "trash can" filler?

And, if you can't get something useful from a model test, then it tells you right then and there 1) the model isn't good or 2) you suck.

Sheesh.  Get with it!

Scott
aka Bodyartist

Feb 05 06 04:26 pm Link

Model

Los Angeles, California, US

Bodyartist wrote:
I think I must be missing something

Hrm I was wondering the same reading this thread!

Bodyartist wrote:
I can understand models not wanting to do TFP if their portfolio is as agood as they want it, and they need cash.  I can't imagine a photographer ever turning down TFP, unless they are so booked for paying jobs they can't squeeze in anything more.

And, if you can't get something useful from a model test, then it tells you right then and there 1) the model isn't good or 2) you suck.

Sometimes it's not the model...sometimes it's lighting, location, wardrobe, styling, whatever...But "right on" with everything else wink

There's a site I think stockmodels.com or something that helps photographers and models hook up for stock photographry. It is MUCH MUCH cheaper than going through an agency (but like an agency, the website takes a cut). I guess it is a step between working through an agency and working directly between a photographer and model.

It just comes back to negotiating...

I'm sure you can find plenty of models on this site or others who just want pictures and don't care what it takes to get them or what happens to them afterwards. I'm not sure that's a mark of professionalism or quality on either party

What is being suggested (as I understand it) is shooting the models for TFP and then selling the photos without paying the model. As long as the model is aware of the agreement, SURE go for it.  Just don't become one of those people who do test shoots, don't pay the model (including no photos) and then say they don't need the model (because they're using the test shoot photos!)

There are questions, hesitations and not that many posts on this thread is because something feels a little "off" about this arrangement. Like if a model were to shoot TFP, gets the images and puts them on a pay site (or sell them), without telling (or paying) the photographer.

Feb 06 06 08:06 pm Link