Forums > General Industry > Favorite music for shooting

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

Stuff like Dresden Dolls, Switchblade Symphony, Faith and the Muse, Type O Negative, VNV Nation, Collide, Mephisto Walz, and other bands along those lines. Or, depending on the photos, it could be Irish folk music... Of course, if the model their own music then I go with that. Unless it's rap or modern pop... then I crawl into a small ball in the corner and cover my ears. It's really hard to get any real good photos from that position.

-P-

Feb 04 06 04:13 pm Link

Photographer

Jeff Cohn

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Kitapanda wrote:
Damn, she wants revenge? you are a quick one, that CD just came out 2 days ago!

I love them.

Skinny Puppy and KMFDM are groovy too.

Razed in Black, Mindless Self Indulgence, The Blood Brothers...

That and a lot of japanese music.

It really depends on the shoot...

i cant seem to get my camera to focus (or my llama for that matter) when MSI is on...

makes for some good colorful pix though.

Jeff

Feb 04 06 05:30 pm Link

Photographer

Jeff Cohn

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Stormie Psy wrote:
She Wants Revenge, Skinny Puppy, Orgy, Dope, Lacuna Coil, KMFDM........

I suppose i have shot to KMFDM a few times as well

Jeff Cohn
(2003 KMFDM WWIII tour phototgrapher)

Feb 04 06 05:37 pm Link

Photographer

Lens N Light

Bradford, Vermont, US

I let my model bring whatever she wants. I'm not going to like it anyway Unless there is some Jazz in it.
I'm fond of any ballet, although Gayna or Swan Lake are favorits. Thjat's what I edit to.
Of course, if I'm i n a black mood, anything Wagner . . .

Feb 04 06 06:32 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

If I'm playing it for a female model:

-Les Nubians 
-Floetry
-Sade

If I'm playing it for myself or a male model:

-Jimi Hendrix
-Digable Planets
-Led Zeppellin
-Camp-lo

-Either of the Handsome Boy Modeling School albums (trust me, it's not what you think no matter how appropriate it may sound)
-Any random station from either GTA: San Andreas or GTA: Vice City.  Talk radio from Vice City is absolutely hilarious.  Produces some genuine smiles from either men or women.

Feb 04 06 09:27 pm Link

Photographer

c s e

Los Angeles, California, US

Marko Cecic-Karuzic wrote:

Sounds very very much like my working stuff (most particularly the Ladytron lately)... By the way to the DJ Kicks poster, ever heard the edition by Kruder & Dorfmeister? It's a classic, and it's been heard at quite a few of my shoots.

I don't shoot to Radiohead (as mentioned earlier), but I might well be listening to them while brainstorming. And early 80's pop (as also mentioned earlier) to somebody who doesn't like my loungy stuff tends to go over pretty well.

yeah, i have all the K&D stuff, along with their spin-offs.  thievery corp's DJ KICKS is a classic as well, but the DADDY G edition is my current favorite.

Feb 06 06 12:25 am Link

Model

Uma von Diehl

Charlotte, Iowa, US

Massive Attack

Feb 06 06 09:16 am Link