Forums > General Industry > 114 pounds by 5,9 you are too fat for modelling!

Photographer

MRP-Photography

Karlsruhe, Baden-Württemberg, Germany

I was reading this article and I'm not very amused. I can't believe those Girls are too fat for modelling...Are there similar shows in the USA?

...Irina's misfortune was her height-weight ratio -- she weighed 52 kilograms (114.5 pounds) and was 1.76 meters (5 feet 9 inches) tall. With that kind of body, Irina, 19, was used to being adoringly ogled, but on supermodel Heidi Klum's television show "Germany's Next Top-Model" her body became her downfall. "Too fat," was the verdict handed down by the show's jury. The svelte Irina was sent home.

It was a ruling that didn't stay in the television studio for long. Immediately, a debate erupted in the German press, with tabloid Bild at the vanguard, on just how much pressure is put on young women to be ultra thin in German and western societies. Stories on bulimia and anorexia began making their periodic appearances in the press and politicians likewise jumped into the fray.

She's not the only one. Politicians of all stripes have criticized the show as offering up the wrong role models for teenage girls -- exactly that demographic group most at risk of eating disorders. Participants have also complained. Candidate Celine, from Vienna, told the Austrian paper Heute that "the crew is constantly provoking the girls with comments about our weight. Even super skinny girls are judged as too fat."

Feb 03 06 06:56 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

Feb 03 06 07:03 pm Link

Model

BeccaNDSouth

Olympia, Washington, US

this isn't how the real market is over there in europe is it? It reminds me of the show "America's Next Top Model" but I think the european version might be a bit more cruel when it comes to weight issues.

As a full-figured, plus size, fat, whatever you wish to call it model, I feel I am going to have my work cut out for me in trying to find my place as a model in europe when I get over there in May. I will find some niche to fit in, though, I feel. I'm stubborn and determined. I will make myself fit in somewhere...

Feb 03 06 07:28 pm Link

Photographer

Brandon Ching

Brooklyn, New York, US

Heidi Klum has a "Next Top Model" show too? What's next..... Tyra Banks judges on her new show "Project Fashion"...

Feb 03 06 07:44 pm Link

Model

jennylorraine

Austin, Texas, US

Feb 03 06 07:54 pm Link

Photographer

Kilmer Photography

Boothwyn, Pennsylvania, US

I like my models curvy, but I shoot old style Pin-Ups of a different era.

Spike

Feb 03 06 10:09 pm Link

Model

Tina Ginger

Magnolia, Arkansas, US

Wow thats pretty wild.....I would hate to be those models who qualify.And they look bad on the models when they get caught with drugs & so forth,or end up in the hospital with a bad eating disorder.sad

Feb 03 06 10:17 pm Link

Model

Angela Benedict

Norwich, England, United Kingdom

I just weighed in this morning at a whopping 108lbs. At 5'2" that would make me morbidly obese.

Feb 03 06 10:17 pm Link

Model

Tina Ginger

Magnolia, Arkansas, US

Angela Benedict wrote:
I just weighed in this morning at a whopping 108lbs. At 5'2" that would make me morbidly obese.

Haha!!

Feb 03 06 10:19 pm Link

Model

Praxis

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

Lapis wrote:

Feb 03 06 11:16 pm Link

Photographer

Carl J Speed II

San Antonio, Texas, US

jennylorraine wrote:

Feb 03 06 11:34 pm Link

Model

Aleta Pardalis

Oceanside, New York, US

that is so sad. Even with most modeling agencies if the measurements were on target wouldn't call that fat.

Then again I'm a little too short, too old, too curvy & by those standards way too fat to be in a competition like that. Who really wants to be stick straight & anorexic looking anyway.

Feb 03 06 11:43 pm Link

Model

Kemara

Tavares, Florida, US

omg! I don't even wanna TRY to think of what i'd be called!

Feb 03 06 11:47 pm Link

Photographer

Tokyo Romance

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Aleta Pardalis wrote:
Who really wants to be stick straight & anorexic looking anyway.

Although I agree that girls should never be pressured into looking too skinny or too fat, I think alot of girls like to look skinny. Some even want to look anorexic or sickly. It's not healthy, by any means and I would never encourage it, but I just think that statement went against what I know. Millions of girls have eating disorders because they want to look that way.

Feb 03 06 11:55 pm Link

Model

scarletdiva

Los Angeles, California, US

too fat, too short, too scarred, too much of a 'ho, WHATEVER!!!

Feb 04 06 12:02 am Link

Photographer

Richard Beebe

Tracy, California, US

Lapis wrote:

Feb 04 06 12:03 am Link

Photographer

Richard Beebe

Tracy, California, US

Tina Ginger wrote:
Wow thats pretty wild.....I would hate to be those models who qualify.And they look bad on the models when they get caught with drugs & so forth,or end up in the hospital with a bad eating disorder.sad

or in the obituary page

Feb 04 06 12:04 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

BeccaNDSouth wrote:
this isn't how the real market is over there in europe is it? It reminds me of the show "America's Next Top Model" but I think the european version might be a bit more cruel when it comes to weight issues.

Outside... or for that matter even inside... those TV shows there is more to "cruel" than you know.

In the European fashion market specifically? And of course that is what these TV shows are all about... the "fashion" market; "fashion" clients; and "fashion" agencies.

Weight issues to be sure - even when there is no genuine issue at all. Models could look like tall versions of hungry war orphans and would still be told they are too fat.

They can be even more cruel about refusal to do "nudity"... a staple in European fashions and advertising... if a model won't do "nudity" she won't get work... at least anywhere near the top end of the market;...

...and I've seen girls sent packing with their tails between their legs, and told not to come back again, for being as little as 5 minutes late for a casting.

Any whinging, whining or crying [on the model's part] will usually get a stern lecture from the booker... or worse if it takes a serious turn with a client.

The usual fashion agency thought process goes something like this: When, for every model on our books there are 500 others trying to get in the doors; when the working life of a typical fashion model is from 3 - 5 years... and the supply of new faces will never be exhausted, then every one of them is expendable. You don't conform to the agency requirements; you refuse work; you are late for an assignment multiple times; you step out of line; you're gone.

That's the facts... even if it is a little teensy weensy bit different from what some models here seem to believe they can get away with.

Studio36

Feb 04 06 07:07 am Link

Model

jennylorraine

Austin, Texas, US

Mach V Speed wrote:

I don't know Jenny, you'd get my vote!

heeheehee, thanks!!

;-)

Feb 04 06 08:05 am Link

Photographer

Lens N Light

Bradford, Vermont, US

A lot of that may be true in the "fashion" world, but elsewhere . . .
Maria Sharapova is positively obese by those standards, yet she will never lack for modeling oportunities. Nor will Ana Kournikova, nor Danika Patrick Why? Because they are real and famous in thier own right, in sports where millions watch and love them.
Fit, athletic bodies that could never be in the fashion worls but . . .

Feb 04 06 08:53 am Link

Model

Inferi

Eagan, Minnesota, US

I'd much rather be in shape (which I am) than be a fashion model.  Health is much more important than a false sense of "beauty."

Feb 04 06 09:54 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

studio36uk wrote:
That's the facts... even if it is a little teensy weensy bit different from what some models here seem to believe they can get away with.

Studio36

Thanks for making this clear...

I'd say that the business of modeling over there is much more "business oriented", where here, because of the overall higher bodyfat ratio of most Americans, there is a political correctness trend sneaking in that enables a model, that won't fit into the garment yell "discrimination" and some carve in.

Annnd... a model at 5'9" and 114lbs can be too fat... why?

Because if the model has almost no lean muscle tissue, which weighs about 5 times as much as fatty tissue, the entire body can look flabby and out of shape.

Where a model of the same height, could weigh 130lbs and be leaner/skinnier appearing than the other model, because she has muscle tone the brings up the bodyweight, but has a much smaller bodyfat count.

Feb 04 06 10:04 am Link

Model

Prin S lea

Waynesboro, Virginia, US

Kemara wrote:
omg! I don't even wanna TRY to think of what i'd be called!

Ditto on that!
I'd be called "The Next Shamu" lol at 5'9 180lbs hahaha

Feb 04 06 11:37 am Link

Model

Giovanna Therese

Silver Spring, Maryland, US

Dijnn Photographic,

you say you'd never want to encourgage this but your avatar picture is a young girl with her ribs jutting out of her chest--i looked at the rest of your pictures and saw that this was just one photo out of many different looks but you seem to say one thing and show another in your avatar.  im not being bitchy, or mean it's just something that needed to be said

Feb 04 06 11:43 am Link

Model

Giovanna Therese

Silver Spring, Maryland, US

Feb 04 06 11:47 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

UdoR wrote:

Because if the model has almost no lean muscle tissue, which weighs about 5 times as much as fatty tissue, the entire body can look flabby and out of shape.

Where a model of the same height, could weigh 130lbs and be leaner/skinnier appearing than the other model, because she has muscle tone the brings up the bodyweight, but has a much smaller bodyfat count.

And the fat, what there is of it on a woman, is not evenly distributed - it tends to accumulate in certain parts of the body that result in the clothing not looking good on the model. A cardinal sin in the fashion and modelling business.

Studio36

Feb 04 06 02:04 pm Link

Model

Maggie Shirk

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I figured that garbage out YEARS ago.. thank God!  I really like the work I can do without that stress...
Oh, and as far as fashion goes: 

Feb 04 06 08:31 pm Link

Photographer

bencook2

Tucson, Arizona, US

I thought it was much better in the good 'ole days when models were picked based on if they "put out" or not.  Not quite as subjective as ability, look, or weight.

Feb 05 06 12:56 am Link

Model

Reby

New York, New York, US

im gonna go vomit now.

Feb 05 06 01:04 am Link

Model

raverchic

Washington, Virginia, US

wow i have a trainer and work out 6 days a week run a mile everyday I am 59 and 141 i would be the next top fat ass i guess. bck to salads i go.....;0)

melissa

Feb 05 06 01:11 am Link

Model

Candice Jim

Dallas, Texas, US

UdoR wrote:

I'd say that the business of modeling over there is much more "business oriented", where here, because of the overall higher bodyfat ratio of most Americans, there is a political correctness trend sneaking in that enables a model, that won't fit into the garment yell "discrimination" and some carve in.

very true

Feb 05 06 01:56 am Link

Model

CML

Richmond, Virginia, US

wow...  Im only 5'7.  And I weigh 120.   Maybe I should go on a diet ?   haha.. yeah right.   =X

Feb 05 06 02:10 am Link

Model

SarahSVET

Los Angeles, California, US

yeah in real life most women are NOT 5'9 or even 5'8  and under 115lb but thats why modeling is so hard to get into, you dont have to be on a diet or have an eating disorder to be that skinny..I am 5'8 and 110lb if I dont eat for one day I loose a pound some may call it a blessing some a curse but whatever, this is how the business works if you dont meet the standards then too bad I guess..

Feb 05 06 05:04 am Link

Model

Rachel DellaPorte

Montgomery, New York, US

UdoR wrote:

I was tryi9ng to figureo ut how to say the same thing without getting yelled at - haha.

Well said smile

Feb 05 06 09:32 am Link