Forums > General Industry > Do you need tickets to go to Fashion Week?

Makeup Artist

Make Up by Amanda

Malden, New York, US

I'm looking at some of the runway shows that I would LOVE to go to next week..BUT, I'm not finding anything about how I actually go about getting in. So what do I do? And where do I find tickets if I need them? Let me know if you know! Because the more I'm finding on the web, the more confused I'm getting.

Feb 03 06 10:44 am Link

Photographer

Jay Branson Photography

Houston, Texas, US

Amanda,
It is by invitation only, or you can apply months in advance for a Press Pass if you have a reason to be there. The invitations are to the fashion buyers, fashion execs, celebrities, etc. If you have an influential friend at Sak's or a fashion magazine that may be an approach.

Jay Branson

Feb 03 06 06:14 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Make Up by Amanda

Malden, New York, US

Thanks for your help!

I think that's kind of dumb, nothing of any interest is ever just open to the public.

But again, thankyou..it's god to know I shouldn't waste any more of my time trying to plan a trip down there.

Feb 03 06 07:06 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

Make Up by Amanda wrote:
Thanks for your help!

I think that's kind of dumb, nothing of any interest is ever just open to the public.

While there is an entertainment value to fashion shows, entertainment for the public interest is not the purpose.

Feb 03 06 10:19 pm Link

Model

Jessica Loren

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Man...I wish I was there walking this week...sad

Feb 03 06 10:23 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Make Up by Amanda

Malden, New York, US

Dan Howell wrote:

While there is an entertainment value to fashion shows, entertainment for the public interest is not the purpose.

I'm sure the entertainment value of a fashion show would be key for most people..the public.. But as a student, I would have just loved to see what it is all about. I've never been, and without any connections..it just doesn't seem fair that I shouldn't be allowed to go because I'm not "important" or whatever the requirements are for getting in. I guess I'm a little bitter about it. It would have been amazing is all I'm saying..and different..and most importantly a great learning experience..and maybe a great story for my freelance writing job.

I'll get over it. I'll just need some time. And I'm still going to NYC next week... I know I wont be getting into any shows..but who knows what will happen.. Being there, and knowing that fashion week is going on, and just breathing the gross air of NYC will be enough for me..knowing I was soooo close! lol I LOVE IT!

Feb 03 06 11:02 pm Link

Photographer

Hoot

Picayune, Mississippi, US

If you just want to see the show, go to Bryant Park and stand in line. You might be able to get in. It depends on the designer and how many people show up. When I was shooting the shows (2-3 years ago), there were always lines for the public to get in, no invitation needed.

It might have changed. Maybe Udo can help here.

Some off-site shows are harder to get into than the tent shows, some have lots of room.

Good luck!

Feb 04 06 01:54 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Hoot wrote:
It might have changed. Maybe Udo can help here.

Some off-site shows are harder to get into than the tent shows, some have lots of room.

Good luck!

Uggghhhh... I wish I could help... the show this year is a bitch!

They booted entire media teams for "no compliance with requested information"... Many have to register individually on their own with print tears as proof.

I am working this weekend on off site fashionshows... but will probably Sunday/Monday be at the tents... we do a lot of backstage interviews.

I won't know until Monday if I could sneak her into the foyer at least...

Feb 04 06 01:59 am Link

Photographer

Hoot

But she was asking as a tourist. Photographers always get hasseled.

Sorry to hear that it's so bad. I think I did right scheduling tests this weekend. ;-)

Have fun though, I know you will. I kinda miss it.

Feb 04 06 02:09 am Link

Photographer

Hoot

Sorry, I didn't put the whole story in.

Olympus used to have lines outside the tents, and would let a certain amount into the foyer, who could then get in to the show, if there was room. Mercedes did that too. I don't know if IMG is doing it or not.

This was for the general public, not photographers.

Feb 04 06 02:15 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Hoot wrote:
But she was asking as a tourist. Photographers always get hasseled.

Sorry to hear that it's so bad. I think I did right scheduling tests this weekend. ;-)

Have fun though, I know you will. I kinda miss it.

Yeah... our entire tv team, which is a daily tv show in NYC... is covering FW for the past 26 seasons... got booted too, because they supposedly didn't answer an email about the programming... which is bs... but the designers requested us for backstage interviews... so we cover those...

I will still register on my own now, with my fashion tears... not having to sneak in via backstage... LOL

It's just something else... that atmosphere... I love it, and understand completely that you miss it... it's somewhat addictive... LOL

P.S.: Even last season... sometimes, they let people in... if walking in with someone with a pass or credentials... then they cut it out half way through the week and only people with passes were allowed to go to the foyer.

Feb 04 06 02:15 am Link

Photographer

The House of Lethal

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Make Up by Amanda wrote:

I'm sure the entertainment value of a fashion show would be key for most people..the public.. But as a student, I would have just loved to see what it is all about. I've never been, and without any connections..it just doesn't seem fair that I shouldn't be allowed to go because I'm not "important" or whatever the requirements are for getting in. I guess I'm a little bitter about it. It would have been amazing is all I'm saying..and different..and most importantly a great learning experience..and maybe a great story for my freelance writing job.

I'll get over it. I'll just need some time. And I'm still going to NYC next week... I know I wont be getting into any shows..but who knows what will happen.. Being there, and knowing that fashion week is going on, and just breathing the gross air of NYC will be enough for me..knowing I was soooo close! lol I LOVE IT!

try to do a search for teens in fashion on yahoo. its hosted by a designer named shell-i kieth. its usually held on the last day of fashion week. if its not sold out you should be able to go it cost $50 per person when i was there if i remember correctly.

Feb 04 06 02:58 am Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

Make Up by Amanda wrote:
But as a student, I would have just loved to see what it is all about. I've never been, and without any connections..it just doesn't seem fair that I shouldn't be allowed to go because I'm not "important" or whatever the requirements are for getting in.

I'm not sure you are really seeing the situation for what it is.  A tremendous amount of business goes on at, around or inconjunction with the fashion shows.  That is the point.  There is a great expense to putting on even a single show.  I would be surprised if any of the shows at the larger venues at Bryant Park cost under $100,000 when all is calculated.  I know that some can push $1,000,000 to stage.  A company has to be able to recover that amount and considerably more with sales and publicity generated from the show.  Room at each event is limited.  Priority has to be given to people who are doing business, whether sales, manufacturing or publicity, with the designer in order to justify the cost.

How is that not 'fair' to you. 

My brother works as a designer for one of the major lables who showed last night.  Not only were there no seats available, all of the standing room was taken as well and they had to turn away people who had been invited.  They were fortunate enough to receive that amount of attention and enthusiasm, but is does illustrate that there has to be a priority give to people who are involved

When my brother was a fashion design student he helped dress shows in several seasons.  That might be a better way for you to have the experiece that fashion shows can provide.  I don't know if they still take volunteers.  You would have to check in advance.

Feb 04 06 12:36 pm Link