Forums > General Industry > pricing for SHOOTS

Photographer

TREVOR GODINHO

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

rite now i do TFCD or TFP and lookin for more paid  work in the summer i did a shoot for a 1000 but that was big .. i thinkin bout smaller shoots like models and things - is 250 per look decent i give the them a cd with the 5 best pics high res edited, and 20 of the best low res for the web wat u think
TG PHOTOGRAPHY

Feb 03 06 12:55 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

"What should I charge for a model test?" seems to be the question you're asking, and you should be asking it of, and answering it yourself.  This is because the answer isn't really dependent on what the model is willing to pay (which in my experience is always nothing), but rather what it costs you vs what you make.

Here's how you answer the question:
1 - Determine your costs...right down to the last penny.  I'm sure you'll be surprised, at the actual cost of even the most basic  shoot.
    - Camera depreciation (guaranteed shutter actuation count divided by number of photos you take per average shoot)
    - Other equipment cost (anything you will be using on the average shoot...lights, backdrops, studio space, car, gas divided by the number of shoots you'll be able to spread that cost over without breaking your bank)
    - Actual costs (Food, drinks, tolls, one time use items, ect.)
2 - Determine how much your time is worth
    - Figure out how much you'd like to be paid per hour...multiply that by the number of hours you typically spend per shoot including post production
    - Figure out if your work is above average enough or unique enough that you should be charging for your creativity
3 - Adjust the number to match your market
    - My market is Philadelphia and New York City.  The typical basic testing rate is $400-$1200 depending on who's offering the model test.  I could charge slightly less, but then I'd be undercutting other photographers in the area and thus screwing the market.

4 - Figure out if the small margin you'll make off charging for model tests is worth your time...
    - for me it's not...I only charge for model tests so that I don't have to do them often...  I also only barely recover costs after paying the assistant and makeup artist...it may be though if you like testing
    - if it's not, don't try to make money off the models...find clients that can pay both you AND the model

Feb 03 06 01:35 am Link

Photographer

TREVOR GODINHO

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

THX FOR THE ADVICE
TG PHOTOGRAPHY

Feb 03 06 01:51 am Link