Forums > General Industry > For those with websites................

Photographer

Eli Anthony

Mentor, Ohio, US

Does anyone know what dates your copyright has to cover? Is it from the date you started your site to the presesnt? Or is it the date that the content created to the present? For example on my home page of my site I have this:

© 2000-2006. All Rights Reserved.

Feb 02 06 12:10 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Depends on what you're claiming.  If it's the images, it's best to make a note near the bottom that says something like, "All images (or content) copyrighted by (your name here)."  If it's the format of the website, I don't know the answer.

If an individual image is being marked, then certainly include the year the image was made.

Images are (or may be, if needed) copyrighted whether or not there's a specific annotation of copyright.  The annotation simply means that you are aware of what copyright means and that the viewer should know you're aware.

-Don

Feb 02 06 01:52 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Aitken

Seattle, Washington, US

My attorney told me that (1) a copyright notice is not necessary, because you automatically own copyright to any images you create (except for work-for-hire), but it is a good idea, because it makes it harder for potential thieves to claim they didn't know about your copyright. (2) if you are going to include a copyright, the proper form is "©", "your name", "year(s)". Those are the only 3 necessary elements. Adding such things as "all rights reserved" is redundant and unnecessary. If you don't have it exactly right, it isn't all that critical, because it is really a matter of convention, and not a legal requirement.

Feb 02 06 04:50 pm Link

Photographer

GunnCat

You shouldn't get legal advice from anyone other than your attorney.

Feb 04 06 06:31 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

GunnCat wrote:
You shouldn't get legal advice from anyone other than your attorney.

That is good advice as well.  I always say that if you want to know about exposure, ask a photographer.  If you want to know about the law, ask an attorney.  A lot of us have practical experience, but what I have learned again and again, there is no substitute for legal expertise.

Feb 04 06 08:12 am Link