Forums > General Industry > A rant to add to the many

Model

Angela Benedict

Norwich, England, United Kingdom

This rant was inspired by a current thread about models who lie about their ethnicity.

No, this is not another thread about it. However briefly on the subject a horrible delerium ridden metaphor...
I don't give a shit what ingredients went into making instant ramen. The bottom line is it's a damn fine noodle!

Now on to the real issues...
Weight:
-The profile says 120lbs but your shots your shots say you've exaggerated by a deuce or so.
or
-A portfolio containing slightly dated looking body shots showing a slender body along with current head shots revealing a face showing unmistakable weight gain.
and
A profile that reads "I've recently lost weight."

Now, am I ripping on plus size or curvecous models? Of course not. I'm ripping on the dumb asses that think they can actually get away with it when a less than pleased photographer finds that they hired them under pretense.

There's nothing wrong than being full figured. There are loads of models out there who aren't stick thin. So sell it! Lie and only thing you'll accomplish is a bad rep.

Feb 01 06 09:15 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

This is akin to dating.

I had a blind date once with a girl who told me she was 140....
After we met, I deduced she was going by her high school weight.

Oh yea, date ended great for me (thank God for intrusive admirers who pop up out of the blue).

Feb 01 06 09:40 pm Link

Model

Angela Benedict

so I take it there wasn't a second date?

Feb 01 06 09:52 pm Link

Photographer

artist

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Well, it works great when you are expecting a 5'6" size 4, and she shows up a 5'4" size 9.

Well, nothing's going to fit, so I guess she's doing nudes.

Hey!  Maybe *THAT* is why so many models get hit with the change of type of photography smile  It's not the photographer at all, it's the model.

Scott
aka Bodyartist

Feb 02 06 01:46 am Link

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

Bodyartist wrote:
  Well, it works great when you are expecting a 5'6" size 4, and she shows up a 5'4" size 9.

Hey!  Maybe *THAT* is why so many models get hit with the change of type of photography smile  It's not the photographer at all, it's the model.

Scott
aka Bodyartist

I like your thinking smile

Feb 02 06 01:52 am Link

Photographer

artist

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

JM Dean wrote:
I like your thinking smile

Be careful though   I'm heading towards a Gary Larson type melt down, and might take anyone who's thinking too closely with me.

Scott
aka Bodyartist

Feb 02 06 01:53 am Link

Model

Angela Benedict

Bodyartist wrote:

Scott
aka Bodyartist

There ya go! When someone hands you a lemon, make lemonade...That also works as a metaphor.

Feb 02 06 12:10 pm Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

I can only guess that it's because they want to work with photographers who wouldn't be interested if they listed the truth.  Me, I'd rather work with people who want to work with me!  Otherwise, what's the fun?

Feb 02 06 12:29 pm Link

Model

PorchiaCorine

Portsmouth, Virginia, US

Yeah I totally agree, its no use in lying like I know im not the average height or weight Im supposed to be but me lying about it is not going to make it any better! I just tell the truth and hope I get the jobs that I want!

Does nothing but make you look bad when you show up to a shoot 20 pounds heavier and not able to fit anything they give you!

Feb 02 06 02:17 pm Link

Photographer

Bluemoon Photography

Cranston, Rhode Island, US

Not to get off topic, but what's with the models with pics from 1992 in their port?
Two or three on this site are actually wearing leg warmers and bandannas, hair all sprayed up.

Feb 02 06 05:53 pm Link

Model

The_N_Word

New York, New York, US

Bluemoon Photography wrote:
Not to get off topic, but what's with the models with pics from 1992 in their port?
Two or three on this site are actually wearing leg warmers and bandannas, hair all sprayed up.

models?? more like what's with photographers with pictures from 1982 in their port.

Feb 02 06 05:58 pm Link

Model

Angela Benedict

Nerlande wrote:

models?? more like what's with photographers with pictures from 1982 in their port.

Both actually! I saw one photographers portfolio and everything was massively 80's. Have they not worked since or just not produced anything better in the last 20 years.

I've seen several models profile's featuring pics that are obviously from another decade.

Feb 02 06 07:19 pm Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

Angela Benedict wrote:

Both actually! I saw one photographers portfolio and everything was massively 80's. Have they not worked since or just not produced anything better in the last 20 years.

I've seen several models profile's featuring pics that are obviously from another decade.

you are timeless angela.

Feb 02 06 07:33 pm Link

Model

Brandon Smith

San Diego, California, US

Angela Benedict wrote:

You didn't know the Olivia Newton John/Xanadu look was in again?

Feb 02 06 07:38 pm Link

Model

Angela Benedict

You didn't know the Olivia Newton John/Xanadu look was in again?

lol. Damn it, I didn't get the memo!

Feb 03 06 02:58 am Link

Photographer

Ian DeBow

Portland, Oregon, US

Shyly wrote:
I can only guess that it's because they want to work with photographers who wouldn't be interested if they listed the truth.  Me, I'd rather work with people who want to work with me!  Otherwise, what's the fun?

I've always wanted to tell you that your photo's are amazing.  The photographers you have worked with are exceptional and you are a great model!

Ian

Feb 03 06 07:01 am Link

Photographer

JT Hodges

Austin, Texas, US

Nerlande wrote:

I'm still in the process of scanning my newer images to post them.

Feb 03 06 07:42 am Link

Photographer

Kelly Sedivec-Ealy

Iowa City, Iowa, US

Angela Benedict wrote:

Some of them like me for example are just trying to re-capture a lost decade .... Seriously I just ended a shoot with a model and we did a very 80's flashdance , with bright colors and leg warmers...turned out incredible...but my whole port does not look that way...

Just something to chew on...

Feb 03 06 08:23 am Link

Model

PlusModelNikki

Pontiac, Michigan, US

i figure, why lie about your weight or height, just to show up at a shoot and be embarassed? nah, i'd rather not.  my current weight is posted on my page. well almost, i lost 5 more lbs! lol and i do truly work out wink i was thinking about posting before and after pics on my page...hmm

Feb 03 06 08:34 am Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

Photored wrote:
Some of them like me for example are just trying to re-capture a lost decade ....

Only thing that I lost in the 80's was my coke spoon wink

Feb 03 06 08:48 am Link

Model

Angela Benedict

Photored wrote:
Some of them like me for example are just trying to re-capture a lost decade .... Seriously I just ended a shoot with a model and we did a very 80's flashdance , with bright colors and leg warmers...turned out incredible...but my whole port does not look that way...

Just something to chew on...

I am all for recreating the 80's as I have a slight obsession with the era. However, we're not talking about recapturing a lost decade. We're talking about shots that were literally taken in the 80's. A portfolio chock full of shots that look like
this presented as an example of their work.

Feb 03 06 08:54 am Link

Photographer

Merlinpix

Farmingdale, New York, US

I have a fool proof method: I look for the model in the portfilio pictures to show up.
If she doesn't I ask the model that has to please have her taller, lighter, twin sister call me and I'll rebook the shoot.

paul

Feb 03 06 11:12 am Link