Forums > General Industry > photographers rates

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

too many comments on gals who charge rates that do not equate to their experience...recently i needed to hire a group of shooters @ $40.00 an hour for 5 hours to do nothing but shoot couples at a large corporate event...i supplied the lighting, setup, and film...all they had to do was hook up and shoot...EVERY shooter who turned down the gig because they demanded $125.00 per hour plus extra for copyrights is now out  of business...the industry had changed so much since then as well and i believe the pool of "profesional" talent to draw on will shrink even more due to the  very unrealistic expectations by photographers.

Feb 01 06 07:45 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

wow...it's getting deep in here BCG....

Smells like ....

Feb 01 06 07:56 am Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

James Jackson wrote:

Smells like ....

your upper lip???

Feb 01 06 07:58 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

BCG wrote:
your upper lip???

Nah...smells like every one of your other posts...

Feb 01 06 07:59 am Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

James Jackson wrote:

Nah...smells like every one of your other posts...

wisdom must smell sweet!!!

Feb 01 06 08:01 am Link

Photographer

Todd Taulman

Chicago, Illinois, US

I just turned down a job because they wouldn't pay my usage fees. I am sure they will find someone, but I am not losing any sleep over it.

Feb 01 06 08:03 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

BCG wrote:

You know what they say... "Only two things attract flies, so you must be either really sweet or full of shit."

Feb 01 06 08:04 am Link

Photographer

J. Newton

COLLEGE POINT, New York, US

Glad you put quotes around professional even if you did spell it incorrectly.  Yes the pool of professional photographers will shrink but not for the reason you propose.  The pool will shrink because the professional will not be able to make a living.  Too many amateurs will accept your $40 per hour to shoot for experience leaving you with an inferior product to give to your client and even fewer professionals available for future projects.  If you sit down and figure the overhead that a professional photographer has you will quickly see that 40 per does not come close to meeting their costs of equipment, studio, the mega doses of insurance from health to life to liability and beyond.  A more reasonable figure from both sides might have more in the 75-100 range and of course copyrights would belong to the "client" who was paying for the whole thing.

Just my tuppence worth.

JN

Feb 01 06 08:07 am Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

James Jackson wrote:

You know what they say... "Only two things attract flies, so you must be either really sweet or full of shit."

the ladies will tell you i am sweeter than sugar.

Feb 01 06 08:08 am Link

Photographer

MRP-Photography

Karlsruhe, Baden-Württemberg, Germany

Wow, 200 Dollars for 5 hours shooting. Sounds like a salary from Hindustan!

Feb 01 06 08:10 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

BCG wrote:

the ladies will tell you i am sweeter than sugar.

And your posts both past and present tell me you're so full of shit your eyes are brown...

"Every photographer who wouldn't accept my $40 is now out of business" ROFLMAO

Feb 01 06 08:10 am Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

J. Newton wrote:
Glad you put quotes around professional even if you did spell it incorrectly.  Yes the pool of professional photographers will shrink but not for the reason you propose.  The pool will shrink because the professional will not be able to make a living.  Too many amateurs will accept your $40 per hour to shoot for experience leaving you with an inferior product to give to your client and even fewer professionals available for future projects.  If you sit down and figure the overhead that a professional photographer has you will quickly see that 40 per does not come close to meeting their costs of equipment, studio, the mega doses of insurance from health to life to liability and beyond.  A more reasonable figure from both sides might have more in the 75-100 range and of course copyrights would belong to the "client" who was paying for the whole thing.

Just my tuppence worth.

JN

the dudes that did show up are still in business...while the high rate demand of some projects will always be there, budgets are being curtailed by both the corporate and personal levels and the client must see a percieved value for their $$$.

Feb 01 06 08:13 am Link

Photographer

Moraxian

Germantown, Maryland, US

James Jackson wrote:

Smells like ....

Teen Spirit? 

I had too... sorry.  We now return to your regularly scheduled Mayhem, already in progress.

Feb 01 06 08:17 am Link

Photographer

J. Newton

COLLEGE POINT, New York, US

Don't want to prolong this agony so this will be the end of my responses but just how long will the 40 per guys be in business?  They probably don't even know about having things like insurance and as soon as they get their first law suit or first major illness and find they have no insurance to cover it they'll be collecting welfare.  Being available to work for your small hourly fee is not a real good indication of how solid their businesses are.

JN

Feb 01 06 08:18 am Link

Photographer

Robert Hayes

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

BCG wrote:

the dudes that did show up are still in business...while the high rate demand of some projects will always be there, budgets are being curtailed by both the corporate and personal levels and the client must see a percieved value for their $$$.

I'd tend to agree with J. Newton the only people being hurt are the real professionals who make their entire living strictly from photography.  $40.00 an hour is not a lot when you consider all the out of pocket expenses and overhead for time, equipment, transportation, etc..  I realize most photogs have to startout getting jobs by not having the highest rates, but if you intend to make a living at it, you also have to make a profit.

-R

Feb 01 06 08:27 am Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

J. Newton wrote:
Don't want to prolong this agony so this will be the end of my responses but just how long will the 40 per guys be in business?  They probably don't even know about having things like insurance and as soon as they get their first law suit or first major illness and find they have no insurance to cover it they'll be collecting welfare.  Being available to work for your small hourly fee is not a real good indication of how solid their businesses are.

JN

they ALL survived the post 911 slump...the demanding divas did not...$200.00 bucks is NOT a bad return for showing up with nothing but a camera and disconnecting with no post production resposibilities...PLUS...i took them all out for beers at coyote ugly!!!

Feb 01 06 08:29 am Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

Robert Hayes wrote:

I'd tend to agree with J. Newton the only people being hurt are the real professionals who make their entire living strictly from photography.  $40.00 an hour is not a lot when you consider all the out of pocket expenses and overhead for time, equipment, transportation, etc..  I realize most photogs have to startout getting jobs by not having the highest rates, but if you intend to make a living at it, you also have to make a profit.

-R

i paid for parking and had the setups ready so when they arrived, with a single camera, they could start to work...i would have accepted that assignment.

Feb 01 06 08:31 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

BCG wrote:

they ALL survived the post 911 slump...the demanding divas did not...$200.00 bucks is NOT a bad return for showing up with nothing but a camera and disconnecting with no post production resposibilities...PLUS...i took them all out for beers at coyote ugly!!!

I have to admit, $200 isn't completely awful...it's just bottom of the barrel...the bare minimum someone should pay to have a guy with a DSLR show up to an event...I've heard of worse rates though.  I just take issue with the assertion that *all the photographers* who didn't accept your offer are out of business...

Feb 01 06 08:32 am Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

James Jackson wrote:

I have to admit, $200 isn't completely awful...it's just bottom of the barrel...the bare minimum someone should pay to have a guy with a DSLR show up to an event...I've heard of worse rates though.  I just take issue with the assertion that *all the photographers* who didn't accept your offer are out of business...

take issue and take over their studios, as they are empty...the market here is different than in other major markets...and i bet i could hire and train a busload of ford workers at $8.00 an hour to do a BETTER job.

Feb 01 06 08:41 am Link

Photographer

Robert Hayes

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

BCG wrote:
i paid for parking and had the setups ready so when they arrived, with a single camera, they could start to work...i would have accepted that assignment.

I probably wouldn't have turned down that assignment either, but then again I don't have a full studio, tons of equipment, or dependants for that matter.  Don't get me wrong, $40.00 an hour isn't too bad if all the post production costs fall to someone else..  It's just that most people don't realize just how expensive it really is for photographers, and that it is a living for them.

-R

Feb 01 06 08:43 am Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

Robert Hayes wrote:

I probably wouldn't have turned down that assignment either, but then again I don't have a full studio, tons of equipment, or dependants for that matter.  Don't get me wrong, $40.00 an hour isn't too bad if all the post production costs fall to someone else..  It's just that most people don't realize just how expensive it really is for photographers, and that it is a living for them.

-R

i am intimately aware of the  costs and was being VERY generous with my offer...the lab bill alone was  over $4,800 bucks!!!

Feb 01 06 08:47 am Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

BCG wrote:
too many comments on gals who charge rates that do not equate to their experience...recently i needed to hire a group of shooters @ $40.00 an hour for 5 hours to do nothing but shoot couples at a large corporate event...i supplied the lighting, setup, and film...all they had to do was hook up and shoot...EVERY shooter who turned down the gig because they demanded $125.00 per hour plus extra for copyrights is now out  of business...the industry had changed so much since then as well and i believe the pool of "profesional" talent to draw on will shrink even more due to the  very unrealistic expectations by photographers.

My understanding is that an event rate of $125 per hour isn't unreasonable.  Sure, there was no post production involved and you sprang for parking, supplies and refreshment, but still, I had photography mentors who maintain that $125 per hour event rate could be charged by a beginner  I don't knock anyone for sticking to their principles by not accepting a rate they feel isn't fair or suggesting one that is. 

Perhaps they simply closed their studios to elimanate an overhead cost that can't be covered by $40 an hour gigs...

Feb 01 06 02:55 pm Link

Photographer

eric freimanis

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

BCG wrote:

Robert Hayes wrote:

-R

i am intimately aware of the  costs and was being VERY generous with my offer...the lab bill alone was  over $4,800 bucks!!!

well ya shoulda had digital photographers shoot it and ya woulda saved $$$$
Put the pics online and have the people order it online...no muss no fuss

Feb 01 06 03:01 pm Link

Photographer

EL PIC

Austin, Indiana, US

Hookers make more than most photographers ...
Get a grip on life !!
E L

Feb 01 06 03:09 pm Link

Photographer

nathan combs

Waynesboro, Virginia, US

i think it is a matter of where you live hear (Waynesboro va) Richard Avedon would be hard pressed to get a day rate of 150$ so if some one offered me 200$ for 5 hr + beer and all i had to do was show up and shoot i take it in a hart beat heck that is just shy of 1/2 my rent for the month or a car payment lol i recently looked in to an add for some part time assistant and they where paying 10$ hr and that is GOOD for hear i will not work for any thing under 25$ hower + expenses if app.

Feb 01 06 03:10 pm Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

i am doubting many dudes can bill out many 40 hour weeks @ $125.00 an hour...get real...thats why i can train a kid or an ex ford worker at $8.00 an hour to do a BETTER job than those baboons.

Feb 01 06 07:30 pm Link

Photographer

JBPhoto

Belleville, Michigan, US

Are you two boyfriends?
You argue like a couple of queens.

Feb 01 06 08:47 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

JBPhoto wrote:
Are you two boyfriends?

But... but... what if they are a couple from Brooklyn?

Feb 01 06 08:49 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

JBPhoto wrote:
Are you two boyfriends?

big_smile

I take that as a compliment...

Have you seen queens argue!!!  Never have I seen so many snaps per second

oh no he didn....

Feb 02 06 12:12 am Link

Photographer

MWPortraits

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Hell, I'd have shown up... Money and shooting time is money and shooting time... I don't give a crap if it's $8 an hour for 18 hours...

Feb 02 06 12:52 am Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

There ia a point below which you do not shoot.
I got into shooting because I was making voulme corrections on photoshop for photographers.
The amount of work I did for  older experienced photographers was limited to cropping and upsizing photos ( for billboards).

Professionals have significant  investment in equipment. Several thousands of dollars in lenses, another  several thousand in cameras and studio costs, insurance, taxes, etc.

Professionals know what hourly rate is the break even point: working below that rate is not a choice.

Weekenders on the other hand show uo with a $400 camera and snap away. $40 is big money.  $40 dollars does not cover my broadband costs for one week!

I still do photoshop work for a magazine - that does not pay photographers, they work for 'tear sheets' - and I still have to go in and rework the photos to get them magazine acceptable.

So you get what you pay for. Shooting the baseball game is $40. Shooting an opening event for a client demands you pay for experience.

Feb 02 06 01:43 am Link

Photographer

MWPortraits

Kansas City, Missouri, US

UnoMundo Photography wrote:
There ia a point below which you do not shoot.
I got into shooting because I was making voulme corrections on photoshop for photographers.
The amount of work I did for  older experienced photographers was limited to cropping and upsizing photos ( for billboards).

Professionals have significant  investment in equipment. Several thousands of dollars in lenses, another  several thousand in cameras and studio costs, insurance, taxes, etc.

Professionals know what hourly rate is the break even point: working below that rate is not a choice.

Weekenders on the other hand show uo with a $400 camera and snap away. $40 is big money.  $40 dollars does not cover my broadband costs for one week!

I still do photoshop work for a magazine - that does not pay photographers, they work for 'tear sheets' - and I still have to go in and rework the photos to get them magazine acceptable.

So you get what you pay for. Shooting the baseball game is $40. Shooting an opening event for a client demands you pay for experience.

Hmm, I have to disagree with you. Some of us have our stuff paid off, and we just shoot because we love it, we don't have anything better to do, or we just want the experience.

Personally, I've never known anyone who can depend on one shoot a month paying all of their bills. Even one of the most successful photographers I know works between 4 and 6 days a week. But then again, not everyone gauges their prices once they get a year or two of experience under their belt, either.

Feb 02 06 01:51 am Link

Photographer

Rick Reynolds

Los Angeles, California, US

Maybe all of you willing to shoot for food should move to California and just stand under the Freeway Underpass.  Here it is not inconcievable to turn down any amount.  I almost turned down a Job shooting Dogs at $100 an Hr. but I'm glad I didn't because the same company Hired me too shoot a new Clothing line and the check was approximatley 10x's as much.  I do believe you should get paid what you are worth, but in the mean time you should also work on your future connections, they can pay dividends in the long run.

Feb 02 06 02:07 am Link

Photographer

DanPhoto

Tampa, Florida, US

Anybody today calls themself photographers. They dont need much brains and talent the camera is smarter then them.  Again a lot of folks dont care for quality just $$. You get what you pay for. You can shop at W-mart or at Sacks.  Just think that if something should happen to your equipement is the person doing the hiring going to pay for the repair?? most likely not. Most photographers dont run it like a business. You have to factor plenty of expenses. Insurance = health,liability,dissability ( what happends if you become disable? suck wind) are you saving for retirement? dont count on SSI. Oh yea you claim very little income to uncle sam , guess what you wont get much on your retirement.  Payroll taxes, cost to maintain your house and or studio? Is your credit card maxed out or you paid up. Yeah be self employed and work for $40 /hr  you will never be in black but always in RED borrow from Peter to pay Paul.
Talk to the Lab and album companies  and see who is paying the bill on time. How many of you actually have a business savings account? yes you read correct not a personal but buss account. Yeap $40/hr is for wanna be.  Sorry $200 /hr sound more reasonable.

Feb 02 06 02:49 am Link

Photographer

Saerbreathach_Photos

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

BCG wrote:

LOL.. i love it... BCG you get slammed with every post you make.. take your hand off the gun

Feb 02 06 07:12 am Link

Photographer

Saerbreathach_Photos

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

JBPhoto wrote:
Are you two boyfriends?

Hahaha..i'm starting to think thats the case.. i think we have a domestic disturbance going on here.

Feb 02 06 07:17 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

UdoR wrote:

But... but... what if they are a couple from Brooklyn?

Then they just argue in Spanish.... LOL

Studio36

Feb 02 06 07:29 am Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

DanPhoto wrote:
Anybody today calls themself photographers. They dont need much brains and talent the camera is smarter then them.  Again a lot of folks dont care for quality just $$. You get what you pay for. You can shop at W-mart or at Sacks.  Just think that if something should happen to your equipement is the person doing the hiring going to pay for the repair?? most likely not. Most photographers dont run it like a business. You have to factor plenty of expenses. Insurance = health,liability,dissability ( what happends if you become disable? suck wind) are you saving for retirement? dont count on SSI. Oh yea you claim very little income to uncle sam , guess what you wont get much on your retirement.  Payroll taxes, cost to maintain your house and or studio? Is your credit card maxed out or you paid up. Yeah be self employed and work for $40 /hr  you will never be in black but always in RED borrow from Peter to pay Paul.
Talk to the Lab and album companies  and see who is paying the bill on time. How many of you actually have a business savings account? yes you read correct not a personal but buss account. Yeap $40/hr is for wanna be.  Sorry $200 /hr sound more reasonable.

believe me...i made much more than $200.00 bucks per hour on that gig.

Feb 02 06 07:53 am Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

JBPhoto wrote:
Are you two boyfriends?

i can not attest for reven...but i am hopelessly hetero...but i will say this...if i was a chic...i would date me.

Feb 02 06 07:58 am Link

Photographer

DanPhoto

Tampa, Florida, US

I guess the idiots are the ones that would do it for $40/hr. I guess they are the ones who prostitute the trade.

Feb 02 06 08:07 am Link