Forums > General Industry > model professionalism

Photographer

bubbaclicks

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

i'm new to this site and trying to figure it all out. I'm amazed by the lack of professionalism i have found in requesting to test "some" models.(please note: this is not all models , just a few) I used to model, so i know what it is like to pound the pavement with a book, seeing photogrpahers and clients on castings. Today the computer makes this much easier. But it also makes it more lax. I have sent requests to some models for a test and did not even get the courtesy of a reply ("no-thank you", or "i'm busy"). I just got no answer at all. I even checked profiles to see if they had logged on to get the message by checking their last date of activity. When a model/photographer sends me a compliment on my work, I always try to say thank you..

What amazes me is that a model would not respond to a photgrapher, especially when some of the models in question are new and clearly need more work in their books. I know my work is not what everyone wants in their book, but if anyone can shed a little light on this i would appreciate it???? What gives??

Jan 31 06 09:14 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

San Diego, California, US

I've gotten the impression from some of the models that I am in contact with that they are inundated with a flood of emails from photgraphers wanting to work with them. I've had responses come back a couple weeks after my initial query.

It's best not to assume they are being rude or unprofessional. It's also probably not a good idea to come in here and blast them, even anonymously. Every model you have contacted can read this post, and look at her inbox. You may be hurting your cause.

Jan 31 06 09:19 pm Link

Photographer

bubbaclicks

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

i'm not blasting anyone...just trying to understand a thought process. I remember when i was starting, i would have jumped at the chance to work with a good photographer... it takes two seconds to respond to a message, we are all busy. I am not talking about a message i sent yesterday, but after a few attempts...i guess i'm reffering to common courtesy

Jan 31 06 09:24 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

San Diego, California, US

bubbaclicks wrote:
i'm not blasting anyone...just trying to understand a thought process. I remember when i was starting, i would have jumped at the chance to work with a good photographer... it takes two seconds to respond to a message, we are all busy. I am not talking about a message i sent yesterday, but after a few attempts...i guess i'm reffering to common courtesy

Oh, I agree with you about common courtesy. It is possible that they don't want to answer until they have an 'answer'. Which does take time to produce. I'd rather they take the time to decide for certain, rather than have an immediate 'sure' followed by a 'no thanks'.

As for the ones who can't respond at all over a period of time and multiple messages... you've learned they don't possess the personality you are looking foor in a working relationship.

Jan 31 06 10:02 pm Link

Photographer

Greg Kolack

Elmhurst, Illinois, US

If I get 1 out of 10 to respond to me, I consider that good. And I'm not exagerating. Then if I get 1/2 of those who responded to me positively actually follow thru with setting up a shoot, that's really good. Then if I get 1 out of 3 who set up a shoot actually show up - well, that's about what I have come to expect.

Basically, I expect to actually shoot 1 out of about 50 models I contact. But I have found, for the most part, that the 1 model I do shoot is very serious about her careeer and very professional, and we end up with some very nice shots. That one will end up with some kind of career, and the other 49 will become disillusioned because they aren't inundated with super high paying gigs within a couple of weeks, or they have a major ego / attitude problem. Welcome to the world of internet modeling, where a relative or boyfriend convinces you that are so attractive that you are the world's next supermodel.

Feb 01 06 12:50 am Link