Forums > General Industry > We shall pay you the $150,000 in London, (scam?)

Photographer

Prairie Town Production

Topeka, Kansas, US

A model I know received an email saying "Please note that we shall pay you the $150,000 in cash in London". It then went on to tell her she will receive a cashier check for $7,500.00 and she is to purchase an airline ticket for herself and her companion to London. The rest of the money is to be returned to her contact so they can make arrangements for her in London.

My question is if they are giving her $150,000, why do they need her to send back the pittance of $5,000. I also would assume all expenses would be taken out of the remaining $145,000 or paid by the promoter.

I must say this young lady is a very pretty model but one would assume $150,000 per show model would be on par with many of the top models in the world.

In any case, I feel this is a scam and we will do our models well to educate them before they are burned too bad. Worse case is they will end up in London without any money and no one to help.

Larry

Jan 31 06 08:46 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Duh!

OK, how it works is that she deposits the "cashier's check" and buys the ticket, sends $5000 (legitimate cashier's check) to someone, then the bank finds they can't collect on the "cashier's check."  It's the same "Widow of the Finance Minister of (name a small African country)" scam that's been going around for quite awhile now.

-Don

Jan 31 06 08:52 pm Link

Model

CML

Richmond, Virginia, US

This is posted already in model matters under... IS THIS A SCAM ?? There was another post before I posted as well. But I seemed to get more responses on mine.   Feel free to take a look smile

Jan 31 06 08:55 pm Link

Photographer

Habenero Photography

Mesa, Arizona, US

When you get an email like this, view it with full headers and forward it to 419fcd.usss.treas.gov let your tax dollar recipients that are supposed to handle these things do a bit of work.

Feb 01 06 01:37 pm Link

Photographer

David Holloway

Liberty Lake, Washington, US

Habenero Photography wrote:
When you get an email like this, view it with full headers and forward it to 419fcd.usss.treas.gov let your tax dollar recipients that are supposed to handle these things do a bit of work.

I don't think this is a 419 Nigerian scam.....The 419 scams don't offer to send you money to fly anywhere.. That scam wants you to supposedly help get a huge some (millions) out of a country in exchange for a percentage, they will then require you to give your financial information to gain access to your account or require you to send them money as a token of trust. Once they gain access to your account they clean you out or when the money you send is received you never hear from them again.

The offer is fishy to me and is more then likely a scam but not the 419 Nigerian scam. Try doing some research on the organization hosting this so called shoot in order to find out if it is legit or not before contacting the Secret Service.

Feb 01 06 02:01 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

David Holloway wrote:
I don't think this is a 419 Nigerian scam.....The 419 scams don't offer to send you money to fly anywhere..

It's not a 419 scam it's a variaion of the Western Union advance scam.... but a scam it is.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=26974

Studio36

Feb 01 06 02:30 pm Link

Photographer

David Holloway

Liberty Lake, Washington, US

studio36uk wrote:
It's not a 419 scam it's a variaion of the Western Union advance scam.... but a scam it is.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=26974

Studio36

I agree....A scam....

Feb 01 06 02:33 pm Link

Photographer

Eric Foltz

Lake Forest, California, US

I've seen the same one going around targeting wedding photographers where they want to send a Cashiers check in excess of the deposit amount and then have you write them a check back for the overage.

Eric Foltz

Feb 01 06 02:43 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Eric Foltz wrote:
I've seen the same one going around targeting wedding photographers where they want to send a Cashiers check in excess of the deposit amount and then have you write them a check back for the overage.

Eric Foltz

Identical deal - with identical results

Studio36

Feb 01 06 04:18 pm Link