Forums > General Industry > The best art book ever.

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Two days ago I bought John Ruskin's "On Art and Life" and picked up my sixth copy of Bayles' and Orland's "Art & Fear: Observations on the Perils (and Rewards) of Artmaking."

Sixth copy because I gave away the first five to other artists after reading them, it's that good.  I bought the sixth to read again, as sometimes this book is the best medicine for fear, stagnation, lack of confidence, and whatever ails you.

I'm halfway through now, but did stop to order a copy from Amazon to be shipped to my daughter, who is a painter.

It's a short book, able to be read in a single two-hour sitting.  It's profound and simple and I won't summarize it here because a summary would be longer than the book.

I highly recommend Art & Fear.

-Don

Jan 31 06 08:37 pm Link

Model

Ever Art

Chicago, Illinois, US

I've heard a lot about those books but haven't read them yet.
The most inspiring book for me has been "Letters To My Parents" by Brassai.

Jan 31 06 08:38 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

ART OF ARIANE wrote:
The most inspiring book for me has been "Letters To My Parents" by Brassai.

Very good book.  Read it again last year.  Day to day censored reports to his parents about what he was up to in Paris.  Fascinating read.

-D

Jan 31 06 08:42 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Absolutely. Art and Fear is excellent.

Jan 31 06 08:49 pm Link

Photographer

DaveL

Springfield, Ohio, US

I'm sitting in an airport right now on my way to Florida.  In my carryon is Art & Fear.  I'm about half way through it.  I've already recommended it to several friends.  Great Book.

For general inspiration I'd also recommend Crazy Wisdom.  Not really about art...more about life and the meaning of the universe and such.  I keep copies of it on hand to give away.

DaveL

Feb 01 06 04:05 pm Link

Model

Sonya Marie

Tucson, Arizona, US

well thanks folks...I have been contemplating my next read and now I've got it.. I will come back to let you know what I think..

Feb 01 06 05:01 pm Link

Photographer

Old Ska Punk

Crivitz, Wisconsin, US

Another vote here for "Art & Fear."

I have given three copies away as gifts, but have managed to hang on to my dog eared copy. It is a must read, must have, must keep.

Feb 01 06 05:10 pm Link