Forums > General Industry > "Unless someone offers more pay" WTF?!?!?!?

Photographer

Olaf S

Allentown, Pennsylvania, US

I've seen this statement on 2 model's portfolio's today.  I can hardly think of anything less professional.  If you make a commitment, then you should show up unless you are literally dying.  There are very rude names for people with this attitude...

Jan 31 06 06:05 pm Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Boca del Mar, Florida, US

Olaf S wrote:
I've seen this statement on 2 model's portfolio's today.  I can hardly think of anything less professional.  If you make a commitment, then you should show up unless you are literally dying.  There are very rude names for people with this attitude...

I'm a little confused...can you clarify a little more please?

Jan 31 06 06:08 pm Link

Photographer

Olaf S

Sure...on at least 2 model's portfolio's it says something like "I will absolutely show up to any shoot I'm booked for unless someone else offers more money"

Jan 31 06 06:12 pm Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Olaf S wrote:
Sure...on at least 2 model's portfolio's it says something like "I will absolutely show up to any shoot I'm booked for unless someone else offers ore money"

well then don't book them...it sucks that some bad eggs make it harder for us good eggs lol but you have to just ignore those kinds of people they are obviously not serious or professional

Jan 31 06 06:16 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

Olaf S wrote:
Sure...on at least 2 model's portfolio's it says something like "I will absolutely show up to any shoot I'm booked for unless someone else offers ore money"

It's also known as First Right of Refusal and allot of models and photographers adhere to this.

I sure as hell do.

It does not mean the model will blow you off, just if a better offer comes, she'll let you know and you can either match the offer or reschedule.

Jan 31 06 06:17 pm Link

Photographer

Olaf S

Believe me, there is no way I will book them.  It blows my mind that people think this way, that's all

Jan 31 06 06:20 pm Link

Photographer

Amanda Schlicher

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

People have bills to pay, man.  It sucks, but it isn't unreasonable.

Jan 31 06 06:22 pm Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Amanda Schlicher wrote:
People have bills to pay, man.  It sucks, but it isn't unreasonable.

it's not unreasonable for someone to want to be paid, but their wording seems rude and unprofessional. I think that is where the OP was going with it

Jan 31 06 06:25 pm Link

Photographer

Olaf S

"Isn't unreasonable"???  I am not talking about a TFP/CD shoot here. 

OK, let's pretend you're right for a minute.  Now let's apply the same theory to a doctor's appointment, or a car mechanic's appointment, or a hair appointment. 

Still reasonable?

Jan 31 06 06:25 pm Link

Photographer

Amanda Schlicher

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Olaf S wrote:
"Isn't unreasonable"???  I am not talking about a TFP/CD shoot here. 

OK, let's pretend you're right for a minute.  Now let's apply the same theory to a doctor's appointment, or a car mechanic's appointment, or a hair appointment. 

Still reasonable?

I'm not sure how you can apply this to a doctor's appointment... please explain.
You're dealing with internet models and freelancers here, it's not the least bit surprising.  If you want reliability, book an agency model.
Would I drop a paying job for a higher paying job?  Maybe.  Depends on the client.  I have an engagement to shoot a $200 actor headshot, but I get a call for a $3000 wedding on the same day.  I'm not going to be rude and call the actor and say "sorry, you're bumped" but I'd probably call him and ask to reschedule.  And likely, he would understand.  He isn't going to give up an audition that comes up to shoot heashots, for example.

People reschedule (or just flake out) all the time for myriad reasons.  More money doesn't seem like that unbelievable of a reason.

It's just not all that unusual or really anything to get upset about.  If you don't like it, don't book them.

Also, don't patronize me with this "let's pretend you're right" bullshit.  You posted a bitchy thread and I disagreed.  Big damn deal.

Jan 31 06 06:32 pm Link

Photographer

Lynn Helms Photography

Austin, Texas, US

It does seem like there would be a better way to word it.

Jan 31 06 06:40 pm Link

Photographer

g2-new photographics

Boston, Massachusetts, US

There's SOMEthing to some of this logic, but - ultimately - it seems to me that if you've agreed to do something with someone you should (old-fashioned, perhaps?) keep your word.

Jan 31 06 06:42 pm Link

Photographer

Olaf S

You make a doctors appointment on a certain day at a certain time.  You show up, and they say "sorry, we can't see you, someone offered us more money"

I should NOT have said "pretend"  I should have said "let's assume you're right." Sorry.

I completely agree with you about booking agency.  The shoots I'm talking about take a LOT of time and money to set up.  I pay mua, hair, assistant, and stylist regardless of whether or not the model decides to show up or not.

If I sounded angry, I didn't mean to.  I was just floored that some one who wants to get ahead in this industry would actually post that on their port.

Isn't it amazing how fast these threads get angry...

Jan 31 06 06:43 pm Link

Photographer

Amanda Schlicher

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

CrazyIsabelAurora wrote:

it's not unreasonable for someone to want to be paid, but their wording seems rude and unprofessional. I think that is where the OP was going with it

Yeah, it's lame.... it's the wording of internet models... not really that surprising.  anyway, the OP wasn't complaining about the wording, he was complaining that "anyone would think like this."

Jan 31 06 06:43 pm Link

Photographer

Amanda Schlicher

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Olaf S wrote:
You make a doctors appointment on a certain day at a certain time.  You show up, and they say "sorry, we can't see you, someone offered us more money"

I should NOT have said "pretend"  I should have said "let's assume you're right." Sorry.

I completely agree with you about booking agency.  The shoots I'm talking about take a LOT of time and money to set up.  I pay mua, hair, assistant, and stylist regardless of whether or not the model decides to show up or not.

If I sounded angry, I didn't mean to.  I was just floored that some one who wants to get ahead in this industry would actually post that on their port.

Isn't it amazing how fast these threads get angry...

I appreciate the apology.  Just remember who you are dealing with... there are some "industry" people around here, but this is not an "industry" site, it's mainly people who are just starting out who may or may not be serious about the game.  They aren't people you'd hire to do one of these high effort paid staff shoots... So don't be surprised that people have poor attitudes.

Jan 31 06 06:45 pm Link

Photographer

Olaf S

I've only just started posting here...I guess I have to watch my wording very carefully.  I appreciate your input, it's just that I see a few people (ie models) on here who really do have some potential, but say the darndest things...that's what got me going.  That said, you're absolutely right.

Jan 31 06 06:52 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Olaf S wrote:

Right or wrong, it's a pretty standard practice among freelancers.

Jan 31 06 06:54 pm Link

Photographer

Hamza

New York, New York, US

Olaf S wrote:

Actually, Doctors cancel appointments all the time when there is something More Important than the patient that he has to do...

C R Photography wrote:
It's also known as First Right of Refusal and allot of models and photographers adhere to this.

I sure as hell do.

It does not mean the model will blow you off, just if a better offer comes, she'll let you know and you can either match the offer or reschedule.

But it's also customary to cancel at LEAST 24 hours in advance, not the morning of...

Jan 31 06 06:57 pm Link

Photographer

Olaf S

theda wrote:

Right or wrong, it's a pretty standard practice among freelancers.

For paid shoots?  Really?  What if you were to travel out to say....Pennsylvania from NYC, for a shoot with a photog that you were going to be PAID for.  When you got there, there was a note on the studio door saying "sorry, I'm not here, something better came up"?

Jan 31 06 06:59 pm Link

Photographer

g2-new photographics

Olaf S wrote:

For paid shoots?  Really?  What if you were to travel out to say....Pennsylvania from NYC, for a shoot with a photog that you were going to be PAID for.  When you got there, there was a note on the studio door saying "sorry, I'm not here, something better came up"?

Well put indeed, Olaf!

Jan 31 06 07:01 pm Link

Photographer

Hamza

New York, New York, US

pw-gii photographics wrote:

Olaf S wrote:

Well put indeed, Olaf!

Like I said, at Least 24 hours in advance...  I ususlly give 48 hours...

Jan 31 06 07:08 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Olaf S wrote:

I have had this happen to me. I have had a few photographers say "sorry I have to cancel I have a paid gig." One time it happened a few hours before.

I seriously find this unprofessional but I do understand why they do it.

I, myself, would never do this.

Jan 31 06 07:09 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

San Diego, California, US

The wording suggests that they are more mercenary than professional. Given the low value that people give to commitments these days, it's not a surprise.

Jan 31 06 07:10 pm Link

Photographer

g2-new photographics

I guess I sorta understand this, but I stand by what I said earlier - if you agree to something you should stand by the agreement.   Sad to see that it no longer seems to hold.

Jan 31 06 07:11 pm Link

Photographer

Hamza

New York, New York, US

I guess I sorta understand this, but I stand by what I said earlier - if you agree to something you should stand by the agreement.   Sad to see that it no longer seems to hold.

Working as a freelancer for the past 20 some odd years, this happens all the time.  I have cancelled on CBS because ABC needed me for a 4 day job.  I did give CBS only 8 hours advance notice, but I replaced myself with another Cameraman.

I know I am talking about TV, but I have done this with a Corporate Client with Photography.  I was scheduled to shoot the portrait of the new CEO and CFO, a 10 day trip to the Bahamas came up so I replaced myself with a friend of mine that was more than capable.  The client was understanding and it didn't bother them. 

I have had models cancel last minute, that's why I have at least 2 others standing by as Back-Up that can be ready on a moments notice.  Better to cover your ass then to get screwed.

Jan 31 06 07:19 pm Link

Photographer

Olaf S

Model Sarah wrote:

I have had this happen to me. I have had a few photographers say "sorry I have to cancel I have a paid gig." One time it happened a few hours before.

I seriously find this unprofessional but I do understand why they do it.

I, myself, would never do this.

Thank you Sarah!!!

I find it ironic that most of the people on this site (me included) are here trying to "get ahead".  Perhaps try to establish themselves as "professionals" and yet, it's those very same people who would blow you off if something better comes along.

So, following that logic, it seems like we should not give a chance to models on this site because they might blow us off...and yet "a chance" is what most people on here are dreaming of.  Weird, huh?

Jan 31 06 07:24 pm Link

Photographer

Olaf S

Hamza wrote:

Working as a freelancer for the past 20 some odd years, this happens all the time.  I have cancelled on CBS because ABC needed me for a 4 day job.  I did give CBS only 8 hours advance notice, but I replaced myself with another Cameraman.

I know I am talking about TV, but I have done this with a Corporate Client with Photography.  I was scheduled to shoot the portrait of the new CEO and CFO, a 10 day trip to the Bahamas came up so I replaced myself with a friend of mine that was more than capable.  The client was understanding and it didn't bother them. 

I have had models cancel last minute, that's why I have at least 2 others standing by as Back-Up that can be ready on a moments notice.  Better to cover your ass then to get screwed.

There is a BIG difference here.  You are finding a replacement for yourself. YOU are taking responsibility.  Has a model ever found a replacement for her/his self?

Jan 31 06 07:27 pm Link

Photographer

Olaf S

Thank you too!!!

Jan 31 06 07:28 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Olaf S wrote:
Thank you Sarah!!!

I find it ironic that most of the people on this site (me included) are here trying to "get ahead".  Perhaps try to establish themselves as "professionals" and yet, it's those very same people who would blow you off if something better comes along.

So, following that logic, it seems like we should not give a chance to models on this site because they might blow us off...and yet "a chance" is what most people on here are dreaming of.  Weird, huh?

"isnt it ironic... a little toooooooo ironic.. yeah I really do think. It's like raaaiiiin.."

Ok enough of the gayness......

I believe that is actualy biggest irony of the whole industry.

On that another note.. I am wondering why we havent worked together??

big_smile

Jan 31 06 07:29 pm Link

Photographer

Hamza

New York, New York, US

Olaf S wrote:
There is a BIG difference here.  You are finding a replacement for yourself. YOU are taking responsibility.  Has a model ever found a replacement for her/his self?

Yeah right! Dude what world do you think we live in? LMAO

Jan 31 06 07:31 pm Link

Photographer

Olaf S

Model Sarah wrote:

"isnt it ironic... a little toooooooo ironic.. yeah I really do think. It's like raaaiiiin.."

Ok enough of the gayness......

I believe that is actualy biggest irony of the whole industry.

On that another note.. I am wondering why we havent worked together??

big_smile

Are you mocking me Alanis? (grin) You're right, I probably deserve it.

Working together...hmmmm....OK, let's talk.  I'll send you a note direct.

Jan 31 06 07:33 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

San Diego, California, US

Hamza wrote:

True, but what he is saying that you never left a client high and dry. So what you did was not truly the same thing.

Jan 31 06 07:34 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Olaf S wrote:

Are you mocking me Alanis? (grin) You're right, I probably deserve it.

Working together...hmmmm....OK, let's talk.  I'll send you a note direct.

No mocking I swear!!!

Jan 31 06 07:34 pm Link

Photographer

Olaf S

Hamza wrote:

Errrr...I wasn't being serious.  I don't really think a model will find a replacement for her/his self.

I go back to my earlier statement about what people on this site are looking for.

Jan 31 06 07:36 pm Link

Photographer

Michael McGowan

Tucson, Arizona, US

Speaking or ironies...

I once had a model suddenly get a wonderful opportunity only hours before we were to shoot. So, she checked to see if I could match it. Of course, I couldn't. And I wouldn't have.

Later, I found out she had no offer, so she had totally screwed herself, because instead of what I had offered, she had nothing. I hope she enjoyed her day off, because her ploy to jack up the rates fell on its face.

Thus far, I've only had two snafus with MM models. One simply forgot she had planned a trip to Ohio, despite more than a month of planning. Another had a new boyfriend and finagled her way out of shooting by saying she had another shoot, but then she cancelled that one and went off to have fun with the new BF.

I guess I shouldn't count the deaths in families and the car accidents in the toll. Those might actually have happened, and I have no way of knowing.

Bottom line: If a model thinks she is going to get over on people by messing around like any of those cases, it won't take long for people to get the word out. Much like photographers who never ante up the photos owed to models, models who goof on photographers are soon outed.

This thread brings up a lot about commitments and integrity. I'm glad to see some other people feel as strongly about it as I do.

Jan 31 06 07:40 pm Link

Photographer

BCADULTART

Cash talks and BS walks.....

No a real professional finds a way to take the higher paying
job and the TFP and keep everyone happy.

That is what being a pro is all about.

Jan 31 06 07:47 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Hamza wrote:
Actually, Doctors cancel appointments all the time when there is something More Important than the patient that he has to do...

Yeah, like hit a really hot round of golf lol

Jan 31 06 07:47 pm Link

Photographer

Olaf S

Michael McGowan wrote:
Speaking or ironies...

I guess I shouldn't count the deaths in families and the car accidents in the toll. Those might actually have happened, and I have no way of knowing.

Bottom line: If a model thinks she is going to get over on people by messing around like any of those cases, it won't take long for people to get the word out. Much like photographers who never ante up the photos owed to models, models who goof on photographers are soon outed.

This thread brings up a lot about commitments and integrity. I'm glad to see some other people feel as strongly about it as I do.

LOL....Apologies....dead relatives are not funny at all, but I do know a model who has used the "dead grandmother" excuse at LEAST 5 times (that I know of) with me and 3 or 4 other photogs I know.

Commitments and integrity.  Well put.

Jan 31 06 07:51 pm Link

Model

Miss Martina

Dallas, Georgia, US

C R Photography wrote:

I sure as hell do.

I agree.

Jan 31 06 07:52 pm Link

Model

Stacy

Englewood, Florida, US

There's SOMEthing to some of this logic, but - ultimately - it seems to me that if you've agreed to do something with someone you should (old-fashioned, perhaps?) keep your word.

I agree with you; however, I do also believe that it would NOT be wrong to call the photographer and POLITELY let them know that you would have to reschedule if a better opportunity arrives.

I do think though that a person should make their best efforts to stick with the original commitment.

Jan 31 06 07:56 pm Link