Forums > General Industry > Any Hawaiians Familiar With "Swipe"?

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

I was once talking with a cook I knew from Hawaii. We came upon the subject of moonshine and she mentioned that Hawaii has their own version called "Swipe". I believe she said the main ingredient was fermented Pineapple.

I have googled this many times and have found nothing.

Anyone have any clue about this?

Jan 31 06 03:36 pm Link

Model

Tabitha Hale

Altoona, Pennsylvania, US

Hmmm...I grew up in Hawaii and have never heard of "swipe"...

Jan 31 06 06:22 pm Link

Photographer

Bryan Benoit

Miami, Florida, US

"Swiper" from Dora the Explorer deals with moonshine? I always knew there was something fishy about that guy.

Feb 01 06 08:57 pm Link

Photographer

MartinImages

Los Angeles, California, US

This from an interview with Frank Silva the "Paniolo Hall of Fame"

Not much..but you were right.

FS: Some people, I remember Manuel DeGuiar, few people I remember three or four different places with grapes around us.  A lot of people used to make their own wine.  Those days was allowed but afterwards you couldn’t do it.  My father was never a drinking man but he was known as one of the best liquor makers.  Until today I don’t know a beer that tastes as good as his.  Oh his wine was terrific…real good wine.  And you squeeze the raisins and use that to make swipe.  You know you can make something out off everything.

KA: Did he make okolehau?

FS: Yeah, they used to get the Ti-root and kalua in the ground overnight in the imu.  It would come out thick like honey.  Us kids used to like to eat that.  They would kick us out of there.  Sweet you know.

KA: You used the big root?

FS: Yeah, big big root.  I don’t see them big like that anymore.  Then they had redwood boxes with half-inch pipes, and one dropped into the other.  I think it ran through charcoal to purify and then the lasts part is to let it drip 24 hours or however long it takes until the last bit drips out.  The okolehau comes out clean- looks like water.

KA: I tried some okolehau made in 1936.  It was clear …strong stuff!  What else did you make liquor out of?

FS: We had pineapple swipe, panini we used panini, anything that ferments you could make swipe.  Even sweet potato you could use.  In those days I guess people just learn how to use everything.

Here's the link to the whole interview: 

www.hicattle.org/2003/frank%20silva.doc

go figure.

B

Feb 01 06 09:19 pm Link