Forums > General Industry > Model Portfolios -- Just a thought

Photographer

datadr

Vancouver, Washington, US

Models, I go through a lot of ports. Many have some great looks, wild sexy photography, etc. etc.

Yet I frequently go to a port where I can't find a good head shot. A clean body shot. The two most important images that help me select a model for a project.

Models might want to add some images..

Thanks

Scott A.

Jan 31 06 11:20 am Link

Photographer

Digital Planet Design

Saint Peters, Missouri, US

Oh, I agree.  Models on here seem too ready to pout, crawl, take their clothes off, whatever.  But there is a real lack of shots (at least with the models I've looked at) for nice casual, contemporary scenes.  Headshots, full body shots, bright light, nice clothes, etc.  I'd like to see what I would see if I was browsing a talent agency.

Jan 31 06 12:43 pm Link

Model

Sardave

Abilene, Texas, US

I've only just started trying to get into the industry, and that's the kind of shots I figured I'd need to start off a real portfolio.  I figure that sometimes, basic isn't the norm, so that's what I want to do for my first real shoot.  Good to know that others feel the same way.smile

Jan 31 06 02:16 pm Link

Model

Crazy Cel

Miami, Florida, US

It seems here though that the only thing that people pay attention to are those racy shots.

But I agree with you guys.

Jan 31 06 04:40 pm Link

Model

Dashinka

Chicago, Illinois, US

I agree, actually the thing I've become disenchanted with is the supposed lack of standards, be it with models or photos... I appreciate the art and editing probably far more than modeling itself and thought I participate in most types of shoots, I find it hard to even find a photographer to collaborate with who wants to anything high-end fashion like or even general commerical type shots.  There can be hot shots with sophistication and grace, I think it's simply more difficult to attain so many folks just do what is easier.. basically they come on to the camera.. that's a polite way of saying it...  I'm nowhere near the best but I take my work very seriously and atleast I study bodylines, hand placement and generating feeling instead of just showing as much skin as possible.

Jan 31 06 04:48 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Could it be that not many photographers are interested in paying 100 bucks per hour to shoot headshots for a model?

Jan 31 06 08:34 pm Link

Photographer

artist

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Crazy Cel wrote:
It seems here though that the only thing that people pay attention to are those racy shots.

Darya Dasha wrote:
I agree, actually the thing I've become disenchanted with is the supposed lack of standards, be it with models or photos...

Yep.  It would be really nice if there was a requirement that the first 4 photos you upload has to be a good close up, a 3/4 view, a full length, and if you do nudes, a nude.  Otherwise, your profile is marked "Nonude" and locked out of searches for "nudes"

As for paying attention to the racy shots -- GWC's. 

When I look at a portfolio, I'm trying to find out about the _MODEL_ not how great (or bad) the photographers who worked with her are.

I'd rather see some clean, basic, well composed and lit images of what the model will do.  Head to toe. 

I want to "see" how big or tall she is.  How her figure looks in tight and loose clothes (or nude).  I want to see what she's comfortable and happy doing.  If she's willing to do parts I want to see her feet/toes (barefoot), her hands and fingers, her eyes, her legs in stockings and heels (does her butt round up in heels, or go flat?)

All the important things.  Not some wiz-bang great photos.  That's what a gallery is for.  A portfolio is supposed to allow me to visualize the model in MY photos, not simply see her in someone elses.

My 2 cents

Scott
aka Bodyartist

Feb 01 06 09:05 am Link

Photographer

artist

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Bodyartist wrote:
When I look at a portfolio, I'm trying to find out about the _MODEL_ not how great (or bad) the photographers who worked with her are.

Oh, that's another really big point I skipped over.

A *GOOD* portfolio photographer makes the model look good in a way that shows her off APART FROM the photo.

Just putting great pictures in your portfolio will often get a Ho Hum from the viewer, because they see good photos all day.  They want to see something they can use, and a model who is larger than life in the photos is what strikes them.

That's why photographers who "test" models often don't shoot the ads or commercial work.  They are better with PEOPLE, and bringing out what makes that person special.  The agencies then look at the work they did, and evaluate the model for POTENTIAL work based on that.  Then, how well she does at that work, etc.

Your model portfolio is supposed to embed YOU in the minds of the viewer, not elicit a reaction like "Gosh! Who's that photographer!  What he did with her!  I need him on my next shoot!"

Too many models are actually advertising the photographer, not themselves.

Don't confuse the old industry concept of "testing" with showing up for a TFP shoot, or other loosely defined "test" as used all too commonly today.

Scott
aka Bodyartist

Feb 01 06 09:11 am Link

Model

Samantha Grace

Los Angeles, California, US

I know I need more front body shoots. I always like my butt shoots the best.
I no loner have the stomach I had. I gained some weight. But as I am lossing it I will post some.
I actually plan on getting some retro swimsuit shoots this spring.
I love swimwear!

I need more feet shoot too. 90% of photographers cut out my feet. And I have such cute feet too! It makes my little piggies so sad. My hands get all the attendion.

Feb 01 06 11:24 am Link

Model

io

New York, New York, US

datadr wrote:
Models, I go through a lot of ports. Many have some great looks, wild sexy photography, etc. etc.

Yet I frequently go to a port where I can't find a good head shot. A clean body shot. The two most important images that help me select a model for a project.

Models might want to add some images..

Thanks

Scott A.

Working on it!!! smile

Feb 01 06 03:18 pm Link

Model

Steph M Anie

Harrison Township, Michigan, US

I'm got PLENTY of headshots... how am I on the body shots... I need more right?

Feb 01 06 03:22 pm Link

Photographer

Lost Coast Photo

Ferndale, California, US

A small percentage of the models I work with clearly communicate needs... "I could really use an updated head shot" etc.  Most just let me do whatever I'm interested in at the time.  And I tend to work with unusually bright models, so I have to assume they've come to me because they desire more of what I'm already doing.

Although I do come into a shoot with some very specific ideas of how a model fits into MY current concepts, there's absolutely no problem with doing a few things that meet the models needs, too.  It's not hard to address things for both of us in the same shoot.  But photographers aren't psychic.  It works better if you let us in on your thinking.  If you're not sure, ask us in the preliminaries to a shoot... a lot of us, if we look at your portfolio with that question in mind, will offer suggestions that we might not otherwise have had a reason to think about.

Feb 01 06 03:33 pm Link